Atheism 2.0

by Qcmbr 384 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• NewChapter
    NewChapter

Yeah, I was going to suggest the UU also, NC. I've never been, but from all that others have shared here, then it doesn't matter what faith or no faith that you might be. I didn't think Q would be interested in that though, but perhaps.

Well then let me put a few words down about this. I know it is strange for an atheist to espouse a religion. I know it is strange for them to welcome me and my ideas. But it works. There is something comforting about structured community. I don't know how they manage this, but they do. The pastor doesn't read from a bible or other holy book---although she may quote something here and there. But she reads essays from very intelligent writers. She quotes Martin Luther King, Benjamin Franklin, Thomas Jefferson (who was a Unitarian) Susan B. Anthony (also a Unitarian). She talks about healing, love, racism, anxiety, children.

When I was new, she opened her sermon by saying, We are thankful for the Atheists, the opinionated, and the doubters, because where would we be without them? SHE OPENED that way, and went on to speak of how important we were, how we didn't need to be changed, how we were all linked. It was beautiful.

Instead of prayer, she has us sit in silence for a few minutes, just breathing and absorbing the quiet. I have to admit, when she does this, I usually realize these were the only quiet moments I had taken that week. It's incredibly relaxing and cleansing. The songs are so varied---sometimes they mention a god, sometimes a goddess, but mostly the are songs about nature, love and understanding.

There is some ritual, which I never felt the need to partake in. Everyone is invited to light a candle, if they like, while thinking about a joy or sorrow. I don't need this---but I also understand that ritual can be a release. It gives one something to do, when they can do nothing.

AND I was there for the dedication of a baby. Sweet little girl---who was NOT dedicated to the church. Instead, the church was dedicated to her. A promise to support her on her journey and to help her find her OWN answers. To support her as she grows, and not to tell her the path she must follow. I thought it was pretty amazing. Her mother sang her a song, her father played her the sax.

It's really a cool place. Reading groups, writing groups, game nights, movie nights, coffee on Fridays, potlucks, hayrides----and much of it quite secular. And super nice people that will be there is you need them. And even more importantly, they help us organize ourselves to be with others.

I believe that this is part of our evolution---we feel a need for it. Not all of us, but some of us.

And yet I have been informed that if you have been to one UU church, you have been to one UU church. They aren't all the same, so it's good to try a few.

NC

• NewChapter
    NewChapter

I said many here were hurt...which is true.

Well perhaps this is a flaw in logic. A mistake in causation? A person was hurt by a religion, and then became an athiest, and therefore the hurt caused them to become athiest. I disagree that this would be true for the majority of us. I'm not very smart about these things, but I think this video explains it much better.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pQjqxayxwt4

• cofty
    cofty

do you want me to apologise for rallying around the One who felt I was worth taking the wrath for?

No not necessarily, just don't pretend christianity isn't tyranical at its very core.

• Joey Jo-Jo
    Joey Jo-Jo

Does it bother anyone that the definition for the word agnostic has changed and now means a person who chooses to be ignorant about facts and fictions?

• NewChapter
    NewChapter

Who changed the definition? It is common to redifine words in a perjorative sense. Oldest trick in the book----manipulating language.

• Joey Jo-Jo
    Joey Jo-Jo

I found out when I called myself that but people were using atheism to mean the same thing, aparently there are now different types of atheisms including agnostic atheism...

• cofty
    cofty

What do you mean by agnostic Jo? Do you mean that you don't know yet or that it is not possible to know?

• NewChapter
    NewChapter

That's because everyone insists we define ourselves. I go through moments when I feel more agnostic than atheist. I'm an emotional person, so it happens. But I'm an atheist. Yet if I waiver, the real atheists, or the religious people that demand a rock solid definition, may not accept that. Perhaps I would choose agnostic atheist to try and help them understand.

Also, atheists kind of know what they don't know what they don't know---who knows what evidence will be uncovered in the future. Bill Maher is an atheist, but he says that perhaps agnostic is a better word simply because he is not as fundamental as believers are. He's not willing to truly say that he knows it all without a doubt, like they do-----------but he really is an atheist.

NC

• Joey Jo-Jo
    Joey Jo-Jo

I called myself an agnostic because I strongly disagree with the holy books and religion regarding god/s, but I also understand that science has not debunked everything, therefore I am open minded that there could be something/s but nothing that was written or was spoken to by man, thats my definition of agnosticism, the same definition bart ehrman and carl sagan used. But according to what many had said and the macarthur (spelling) dictionary the word agnostic refers to an ignoramus.

Take for example.. I can remender which book it was, either god delusion or the greatest show on earth, which Dawkins definities 7 different types of athiest, one that resonates a lot with agnosticism.

• cofty
    cofty

Its all semantics Joey Jo-Jo. The important thing is to keep learning and be prepared to change your mind in line with evidence.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit