SMART phones: I got my first iPhone

by Terry 35 Replies latest social entertainment

• Terry
    Terry

For my birthday, my daughter (who works for Apple) got me an iPhone.

Yes, I was using an old Motorola flip-phone until now...like a geriatric Captain Kirk.

And I wondered why people had been giving me those strange looks before...

Anyway, imagine my reaction to the mammoth technology contained in an iPhone.

Talk about a miracle, this qualifies.

I'm particularly impressed by the onboard GPS. I can type in a destination and the phone already knows exactly where I am and will plot a destination map onscreen. As I move the little blinky map figure moves along the road. Niiiiice.

I can check the balance in my bank account, use Paypal, go on Facebook, check E-mail, send texts, see the weather hour by hour for the next five days and buy stuff on Amazon, E-bay or anywhere else.

All the stuff I ever purchased on iTunes is automatically transferred to my iPhone.

I can go on Netflix and watch a movie while I'm standing in line at the Post Office.

Or, watch YouTube make a video or read the latest on Drudge Report.

That is just scratching the surface.

I was wondering; what do YOU like best about your smartphone?

What Apps are killer in your opinion?

What features and benefits have you impressed?

I'm just getting started and learning as I go. I've been watching Tutorials about the features of the phone on YouTube. So easy.

• trueblue
    trueblue

I like tools so I downloaded a level it is a free download, can also have tape measure or sliding ruler, lots of carpenter tools, measure a window on a multiple story building from far away, just installed voice2text and can record a message and send it email in writing without typing, but it missunderstands some words or maybe I don't talk well. Like to try the speed senser.

I think they can do just about anything with it.

Scratch and sniff would be killer...

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

I have to wait to upgrade.

• stuckinamovement
    stuckinamovement

It really is amazing isn't it? I rarely use a computer at home anymore because of my iPhone. It is incredible.

Siam

• littlerockguy
    littlerockguy

I don't have an iphone or smartphone, however I just recently made the switch over to an imac from my older pc and I'm really liking it. I downloaded some cool apps from the applestore online.

I really like the app of Relax Melodies with all different sound effect and ambiences. I downloaded the free one and liked it so much I got the full version for only $4.99. I like the mixture of the sound of forest rain and thunder.

LRG

• Azazel
    Azazel

Good for you Terry im glad your absorbing the technology. It really is amazing how fast things are evolving in the electronics field.

Me personally im a fan of Android and have gone the Samsung path.

More joy to you mate.

Az

• Wasanelder Once
    Wasanelder Once

I've got a 3G handmedown and I'm in love with it. I'm always a little behind but I don't care. This thing is a gas. I use the card from my gophone in it and prepay for three months at a time. I use the wifi for the net and there's enough free wifi these days I don't need a data plan. Too funny. Love Words with friends though its making me insane....

• LV101
    LV101

you will LUV your IPhone --- what a great daughter! Happy B/Day.

LV101

• zagor
    zagor

IPhone is good, probably one of the best, except for Blackberry of course, but Apple's controlling and micromanagement style reminds me of watchtower.

I think I like more free spirited Android world that allows people to grow instead of assuming everyone is dumb.

Having said that, Siri is impressive.

• Terry
    Terry

I like tools so I downloaded a level it is a free download, can also have tape measure or sliding ruler, lots of carpenter tools, measure a window on a multiple story building from far away, just installed voice2text and can record a message and send it email in writing without typing, but it missunderstands some words or maybe I don't talk well. Like to try the speed senser.

Thanks, that sounds like something I'd really enjoy. I'll check it out.

I bought the $99 repair/replacement plan. My daughter told me how many people drop their iPhone in the toilet or break the glass on it. (Yeah, glass and not plastic.) She said that people walk in to the Apple store all the time and demand a new phone after THEY dropped it! I didn't want to be that guy This way I can take my phone dripping with toilet water and cracked screen in a plastic bag and walk out with a FREE replacement.

ANYBODY ELSE? What apps are a real hoot?

Thanks.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit