Help! Help!! Desperately need DOGGIE help!!! Help with a doggie!!!!

by ziddina 43 Replies latest social family

• Dogpatch
    Dogpatch

Be careful,

This is not necessarily representative of the dog's point of view!

• Azazel
    Azazel

Hi ziddina my mum has used this remedy with pet dogs for the last 40 years or so.

Have you ever heard of Bach Flower Remidies? they are available in most health food shops. They make a tonic called Rescue Remedy for people but its perfectly safe for animals and a couple of drops in the said doggies mouth and i swear it just takes the edge of the poor animals fears and allows the dog to operate on its senses rather than its fear driven instincts.

Poor little dog, my mum got a Chihuahua that was very similar in its behaviour and this remedy fixed her.

Good luck

Az

• ziddina
    ziddina

Hi, Norcal Sun!! Well, the doggie is going to have a visitor tomorrow - me! But I won't be approaching it or anything - and since I'm somewhat boisterous, I'll have to tone down my energetic personality....

Ahhh, Mind Blown, this doggie isn't anywhere near the point that my friend "Tammy" can hold her... The dog lived in a cage for the first 5 years of its life, was in 'foster' care [with 40 other dogs] for 6 months, and "Tammy" hasn't even had the dog for a week...

But things ARE looking up!! The dog - Emmi - is actually picking up on 'normal' doggie behavior - maybe she's learning it from "Tammy's" 8-year-old socialized male dog - but she's very intelligent, as she's already started using the back yard to "potty", instead of messing in the house.

Heh, Dogpatch!! You mean from a doggie's-eye-view??

Hey, Azazel!! That's an interesting idea; I'm going to the health-food store today and I'll check around for an herbal pet-calming recipe!!

Getting "Tammy" to use it, however, might be a different situation - I'm involved in an uphill battle just getting her to give her dog[s] WET FOOD and VITAMINS!!

At least, with THIS dog, I can URGE the vitamins and mineral supplements to strengthen the dog's bones - especially since her deceased dog NEVER got WET food - MEAT - and NEVER got vitamin/mineral supplements - the lack of such supplements in a DASCHUND's diet - bone and joint issues and all that - may have been a crucial factor in the poor dog breaking her back - of course, I can't tell "Tammy" that. But SOMEhow I've GOT to convince "Tammy" to improve her dogs' nutrition!!

"Tammy's" nutrition leaves quite a bit to be desired, too... I've noticed that, if a person or family has bad nutrition, they extend it to the poor animals, too...

Anyway, thanks for all the responses!!

Zid

• scary21
    scary21

Dogs are den animals....no matter if your friend THINKS it is cruel , it's really the loving thing to do .......at least get the dog a cardboard box she can use as a den......dogs need a den or cave lol there is no confinement she can come or go as she pleases I'm pretty sure ALL dog experts agree.

Sherry

• scary21
    scary21

My first Golden seemed like she didn't care about her crate after a few years so I did get rid of it My second dog is 8 yrs old and still uses it....I leave the door open ....she loves her crate........she is a little more of scaredy dog......she needs more comfort...so I let her have it, even if it really doesn't go with my decor......It may be the LOVING thing to let your friends dog have what she needs to be happy....dogs don't think like humans.

• ziddina
    ziddina

Ah, the dog HAS a "den" - that she's chosen for herself...

She likes the area under their kitchen table - and she has the table, the bathroom, the hallway with a small table, and the dining-room table - with a floor-length tablecloth - to choose from...

She's chosen the kitchen table, for whatever it's worth... But I will see if we can try setting out a crate, as long as we don't scare her again by making her think that she's going to the vets or going to be bred or something....

Zid

• mind blown
    mind blown

I'm sooooooo happy Emmie is doing better. She IS really smart and I'm sure very appriciative of being out that horrific situation.

It's quite a challenge to hold them down when they're crazy excited like that, however, that's the point. While holding them down, belly rubs also calms and is a good seditive.

Keep us updated....

• watersprout
    watersprout
    Getting "Tammy" to use it, however, might be a different situation - I'm involved in an uphill battle just getting her to give her dog[s] WET FOOD and VITAMINS!!
    At least, with THIS dog, I can URGE the vitamins and mineral supplements to strengthen the dog's bones - especially since her deceased dog NEVER got WET food - MEAT - and NEVER got vitamin/mineral supplements - the lack of such supplements in a DASCHUND's diet - bone and joint issues and all that - may have been a crucial factor in the poor dog breaking her back - of course, I can't tell "Tammy" that. But SOMEhow I've GOT to convince "Tammy" to improve her dogs' nutrition!!
    "Tammy's" nutrition leaves quite a bit to be desired, too... I've noticed that, if a person or family has bad nutrition, they extend it to the poor animals, too...

The best diet is home cooked foods with specific oils/supplements added. You can get these from the health shops... I personally HATE processed pet foods as they are full of stuff that is just nasty and not good for your pet. Unfortunetly like you say Zid if a person's diet isn't spot on the dog's won't be.

How is pup doing today?

Peace

• ziddina
    ziddina

Hi, Watersprout!!

My friend "Tammy" has agreed to use the supplements - Yay!! AND to feed both the new doggie AND her 8-year-old the GOOD wet food from the health-food store - in fact, "Tammy" went online and reviewed the health ratings for the dry dog food that she feeds them - a good indication that she'll take more interest in their diet and nutrition, in future...

And I'll be working on HER diet in the coming months - she's already agreed to get together with me and go thru some of my cookbooks looking for fast, easy, convenient - AND nutritious!!

Little "Emmi" will be going to the vets tomorrow to have her teeth checked. I hope that they're all good.

Emmi still won't go into the dog crate/kennel, even though I spent $60 on a nice, soft-sided kennel for her. She is just too frightened of ANY enclosed area - too reminiscent of her horrible cage.

However, I came up with an idea to keep her safe while transporting her from the car to the vets' office...

I told my friend to use a HOODIE - one that can be tied tightly at the waist, and with a good, strong, fast zipper...

Then hold the doggie in her lap in the car, and just before they're to walk into the office, ZIP her into the hoodie!

I told her that the hoodie HAD to tie at the bottom, be made of STRONG fabric, have a STRONG and well-functioning zipper, and be zipped up ALL of the way.

She said that she found such a "hoodie" in her closet, so I think Emmi will be OK. Afte all, she'll only be in the "hoodie" for a minute or so - her boyfriend is going to drop her off right at the door to the office, and she'll just hop out and into the office.

And "Tammy" said she'd send pix, so I can post them here...

Zid

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

I came late to the Dog Whisperer. To find out more, I reached the show, beginning with wikipedia. A large number of veterinary schools and orgs are highly critical of Cesar Milan. They say he is brutal to the dogs. After reading their criticisms, what I thought was wonderful was viewed differently. I can't recall the details. I am not a dog so I cannot prove who is correct.

I love dogs. The Animal Planet programs make me happy. It is so sad of all this dog is experiencing and the many countermeasures involved when doing it correctly in the first place was so much easier. I'd love to see a photo of the dog. It is nice to know how many here have gladly given the time required to rescue dogs.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit