Help! Help!! Desperately need DOGGIE help!!! Help with a doggie!!!!

by ziddina 43 Replies latest social family

• Norcal_Sun
    Norcal_Sun

Here is some good advice from a pit bull forum that I got to sometimes. Email the link to your friend!

"For the first two weeks, (sometimes even longer) a dog takes in the new environment, who is the top person, or animal, who ARE these people!? By pushing a dog too fast, and throwing too much at the dog we look like we are not the leaders,and the dog can feel it MUST defend itself , as the leader is surely no one he has met so far!
    We coo , coodle, drag the dog to home to home to person to person, and the dog has NO idea who we are. We correct for things it doesn’t understand, we talk in a new human language using words he does not know."

http://www.pitbullforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=81654

And this is especially true of an abused and frightened animal.

• ziddina
    ziddina

Thanks for that link, Norcal_Sun, I'll pass it along...!!

• ziddina
    ziddina

Aw crud, I have to register to view it!!

I hate having to register...

• GLTirebiter
    GLTirebiter

When the puppy is a bit more comfortable to "Tammy" and their other dog, she should consider a dog socialization class. We've used one the local humane society offers. It's mainly for newly adopted puppies, but older dogs can benefit too. They taught much to both the dog and the owner, and the price was reasonable.

• Norcal_Sun
    Norcal_Sun

Im sorry... do u want me to copy it here?

• Snoozy
    Snoozy

Don't brush off the kennel cage idea..that is what they recommend..as some said to leave the door open for them. That was their home and that is where they feel safe. My daughter has a rescue dog and he still doesn't know anything about socializing. He just stares at you if you throw a ball at him. Thankfully he has attached himself to their other dog..she helped show him how to eat and potty etc.

He is terrified of storms and tries to get as high off the ground as possible. He weighs 150 pounds so he just climbs on the couch and digs frantically or jumps on their bed and digs in the pillows. He pants and tries to hide on July 4th . I think he was left outside in storms and possible got a lightning strike on his cage or someone hit the cage and jarred him..he doesn't like the noise at all. He also eats a lot. he would eat till he throws up if he was allowed to. He also eats feces..it has to be cleaned up in the yard daily. I think that is because he was never out of the cage before and they get bored or hungry. The list goes on but as far as the cage with the door open in a quiet place is what he needs in my opinion and a few others here..they feel secure. I know many that even leave their dog in them at night time..The dogs don't seem to mind.

Watch Cesars show if it is on where you are..he does a lot of rescue work.

I'm sure you can find a lot of info on the internet.

http://voices.yahoo.com/timid-rescue-dogs-helping-them-overcome-their-timidity-2624629.html

Snoozy

• watersprout
    watersprout

Nellie spent ten years in a cage and was only got out for her to be breed from... Had a few litters... She had no social skills and was terrified of others dogs especially males... My parents dogs helped heal Nell, they showed her how to play, how to behave when out... Lucky for us she liked being in the sun, so on a nice day she loved to sunbathe over the park... She had soo many issues she needed drugs and a padded cell, i'm not kidding she was truly F'd up! Two years to rehabilitate and that was enough so she could live a normal life, she would still pee herself, hated the dark, was a fussy eater etc... She didn't wag her tail for months and months... From that she would smile at us, showing all her teeth and her tail would be going ten to the dozen. On the plus side she was incredibly patient and loving and an absolute pleasure when she wasn't emptying the bin lol! We didn't know we had a dog once she had settled...

Sid on the other hand is different in many ways... Hates being outside and has to be carried to use the loo, he is won't eat the same food two days in a row, agrophobic ,pee's himself regularly, has shaking fits, loads more problems but can't think off the top of my head... I have started taking him to an animal sanctuary and yesterday he was off his lead taking on goats, chasing chickens, and he got butted by a goat lol! With patience and plenty of love there isn't an animal out there who won't respond. Sid is an ex puppy farmed stud, he doesn't like females lol! Can't think why!

I like the dogs who nobody else want's, the ones whose lives seem too tragic to heal from... It makes my heart rejoice when I see some happiness radiate from their little bodies!

Peace

• ziddina
    ziddina

Thanks, Norcal Sun, but don't worry about it. That part that you posted seems to have hit the nail on the head!!

Snoozy, I've watched Cesar Millan's show, and even sent him a plea for help on FaceBook [see OP], but things are REALLY looking up!!

Wow, Watersprout... Poor little doggies...!! It is so wonderful that you're there for them!!

After reading all of these stories, I might try adopting a "breeder rescue" when my sweet little Sheeba passes on - she's fiften years old now...

On the other hand, I just DON'T like full-blooded - "purebred" breeds AT ALL - too many problems with their physiology - too inbred, too many mental issues and so on... And I'm NOT talking about the rescues, either.

Anyway, UPDATE ON THE DOGGIE!!!

First of all, I missed the correct name of the doggie - her name is "Emmie"...

And she is adapting QUICKLY - she's already decided that she wants to go out in the back yard and explore!!

My friend told me that Emmie wanted to go out in the back yard to "do her business" this morning!! Emmie went out thru the back door 'porthole' but my friend opened the screen door [lower half is metal sheeting] because the "doggie" door in the screen door has plastic flaps and "Tammy" was concerned that the flaps would scare Emmie.

Anyway, Emmie went out into the back yard [sans screen door] and walked around the yard, just looking at things and exploring. "Tammy" said that she stood at the base of one of "Tammy's" small fruit trees and just looked and looooooked at the top of the tree. Then Emmie went back into the house all by herself (thru the inner door's doggie "porthole")...

"Tammy" left the screen door adjar so Emmie wn't have to deal with it [the plastic flaps on that doggie door] if she wants to go outside today, then "Tammy" drove around the block on her way out to work, and walked back to check on Emmie, to make sure that Emmie wasn't out in the back yard planning her escape. [It's been cold here in Denver; we've had lows hovering around ZERO - FARENHEIT - which would be around -15 Celcius, I think ...] so "Tammy" wanted to be sure that Emmie wasn't out in the back yard, running around totally confused.

Emmie was inside with her other doggie, snug and happy... [And of course Tammy was late for work, buuut....... Ya gotta do what ya gotta do...]

Sooo, it appears that Emmie is very resilient, flexible, EXTREMELY intelligent, and is adapting faster than "Tammy" could have hoped!!!

And Ellie crashed with apparent relief into the new doggie bed under the kitchen table, last night, and fell into a deep, restful sleep... No nightmares at that time... As "Tammy" said, first the breeder's cage and then a foster home with 40 other dogs - this was probably the first REAL night's rest that Emmie has had in years!!!

[I'm so glad that Emmie is in a good, new place that will be VERY good for her, but damn!! I am so furious at such brain-dead BREEDERS that I could chew steel nails!! WHAT KIND OF AN IDIOT treats animals that are supposed to produce PETS, WORSE than the way they'd treat their chickens or sheep or goats or cattle!!! I mean - hell, RANCHERS in the Dakotas treat their CATTLE better than these poor breeding dogs are treated!!! And I mention this, because apparently many of the cruel, nasty breeders are AMISH farmers!!??!!! ]

Anyway, thanks again for all of the great advice - "Tammy" feels that she doesn't want to put the doggie into another crate - she's even postponed the trip to the vets for a couple of weeks to give Emmie more time to adjust, adapt and bond with her and the rest of the family, so that the trip to the vets won't be as traumatic...

I'm feeling VERY positive about little Emmie's future, now!!!

And if I can get a picture of her, I'll post it!!!

Thanks again!!! Zid

• Norcal_Sun
    Norcal_Sun

I agree with you completely.. I can't believe how people treat those dogs :(

The best place to find a dog is at the local shelter. I got a doggie about 4 months ago and he is WONDERFUL. But I know he probably would have been put down had we not picked him up.

I am so happy to hear the doggie is recovering! The article I linked talks about not taking her anywhere and keeping visitors to a minimum if possible. Just like if you brought home a new baby I think ;)

• mind blown
    mind blown

hello, I've had dogs most my life and have trained many as well.

This type of pet needs serious patience. Untrained animals have loop behavior. They attach a certain behavior to emotion, situation, behavior.

For instance. When you walk into a door, emotion fills the dog. The dog will next attach that excited emotion to a behavior. If he is allowed to jump up you when you walk into the door, he will continually associated the emotion to the act. However, there is a technique to change it. What to do is while the animal is behaving in an unwanted excitable fashion, you hold them down, until it goes into a calm, relaxed, state and keep it in that state for a few minutes, the release it in that calm state.

When your friend takes her dog out, she should stand at the doorway with the dog and hold it, while letting it go through it's wild emotional state until it calms down. Onces it's calm, she can release the dog in a calm state. If it starts running around the yard. While in the yard, again she should hold the dog down in they yard until it again reaches a calm state. It will start associating a more balanced emotional state. She should continue this until the dog stops.

The dog whisper Cesar Milan is an amazing.... http://www.cesarsway.com/..........he is top in his field and I have used many of this techniques with my dogs and have always worked.

Also, when a dog has a change of diet, like switching one brand of food to another, they will have bowel issues. You need to incoroprate the new food slowly added a little at a time with the old food until it is fully incorporated. However, if you don't know what it was eating before, then it will be natural for the dog to have poop issurs until it digestion is used to the new food. Some dogs also have allergies, so if problems continue, that could also be something to consider. With some dogs the best food is table food and can in the long run be a cheaper option as well as healthier for them. Boiled chichen with rice and small veggies are a suggestion.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit