Help! Help!! Desperately need DOGGIE help!!! Help with a doggie!!!!

by ziddina 43 Replies latest social family

• ziddina
    ziddina

I hope this is the correct category....

Since pets are kinda sorta like "family", anyway....

A friend of mine (who lives about 25 miles away, in the center of the city) recently lost her beloved six-year-old spayed female daschund doggie under VERY tragic circumstances.

Her other dog, an eight-year-old neutered male daschund, has been inconsolable since her loss. So my friend decided to adopt another small dog - a spayed female daschund - one that was RESCUED from a BREEDER....

This poor little dog has LIVED IN A CAGE FOR HER ENTIRE LIFE!!! All six years of her life - in what was, in effect, a doggie concentration camp...

She is not "socialized" in any way, shape or form. She's scared to death; she had been living in a foster home for the previous 6 months, but as my friend - let's call her "Tammy" - as "Tammy" says, apparently the foster home had other dogs and wasn't able to focus on this dog.

My friend is a working mother of two teen-agers (who have both agreed to help with the new dog, thank goodness!), but both teens are eventually going off to college, and my friend works full-time.

They ("Tammy" and her son...) drove 250 miles to pick out and pick up this little doggie. "Tammy" said that the little doggie was frightened to death - tried to jump out of the car when they stopped for food, then pooped and peed all over the car when they struggled to keep the dog in the car - because it was so frightened.

When they got home, "Tammy" allowed the dog out into their (fenced) back yard, but the dog just tore around the yard in a frenzy. "Tammy" thought that the dog was enjoying the freedom until she realized that the dog was simply terrified [lived in a cage all of its life], then "Tammy" tried to pick it up to bring it indoors. The dog bit her.

Finally she opened the back door, and the dog shot inside. The dog is basically cowering under their kitchen table, won't eat, won't approach ANY humans, and is just a quivering bundle of nerves and fear.

I've told "Tammy" that she needs to become "Doggie Mommie" - be the "pack" leader, but like a MOMMY doggie - provide FOOD and SAFETY for the doggie, so that the dog will BOND with her.... THEN she can move on to other issues, like teaching the dog to use the "doggie" door to use the potty, go for walks, and so on - and I'll say right off, that the first month or two of "walks" should consist of walking the dog IN THE BACK YARD and ONLY in the back yard...

I also told "Tammy" to get one of those doggie harnesses - and she might even need to buy a CAT harness, as the doggie is SO tiny - just so she'll have something to CONTROL the animal with, when she needs to take it to the vets [Friday; and I guess I'll be going along - whee...], and to take it outside to go potty, and so on...

Right now, the doggie has a "puppy pee pad" by the back door, next to the doggie door that the other family dog is using to go out to go potty...

I think that the harness would be a kind way to control the dog until she calms down; much safer and kinder than a "choke" collar, which is what someone else recommended to "Tammy". As crazy scared as this dog is, I'm afraid something bad might happen with a collar and DEFINITELY with a "choke" collar - those damned things have killed as many dogs as highway traffic, I suspect...

Anyway, to make a long story short - TOO LATE! - if anyone else has EVER had to deal with such a situation, and was successful at socializing the dog, I would LOVE to hear about it!!

P.S. I found Cesar Millan on "FaceBook" and left a LONG plea for help!!

[Whadda ya know? Facebook actually IS good for SOMEthing, after all...]

Thaniks to any and all that can help!!!

Zid

• ziddina
    ziddina

BUMP!!

• finally awake
    finally awake

I recommend getting a harness too - dacshunds can slip a regular collar way too easily. Also, a dog who is scared will appreciate a kennel (leave the door open) with a soft cushion to hide in. I had a rescue poodle once - he had no sense of heights and broke his leg trying to jump down from too high up. A really timid dog will take a while to socialize.

• noni1974
    noni1974

See if your friend has a doggie crate and tell her to set it up in a quite room with no other people or dogs and cover the crate with a blanket and put the dog in the room. If the dog is scared it makes sense to give them what they are used to. Your friend doesn't have to lock the dog in the crate but having a small area that she can escape to will help calm her down. She probably wants to hide and is to scared to move. A little time and attention and the dog with calm down and be fine.

• cult classic
    cult classic

Yep, a kennel/crate is a must. Dogs feel safest when they have a space all their own. Cover the kennel on top and all sides except the entrance with a heavy tarp or blanket. The dog will feel caved in and safest this way.

• Magwitch
    Magwitch

That is so heartbreaking! I know so little about dogs, but I will pass this thread onto a few of my dog friends.

When I got my little white kitten (my avatar) he had spent the first four months of his life in a cage at the humane society. When I brought him home he just tore from one end of the house to the other for days and days.

• watersprout
    watersprout

Definately get a crate, waterbottle, super soft blankets, and a radio playing a classical music channel. Best to put her in a quiet room away from normal family life..(classical is very soothing and will help calm her nerves) Make the crate cozy, comfy, safe and very inviting as she will be understandably terrified. She will have only known fear and pain at the hands of humans so trust is going to take time and plenty of patience. Do things which show the pup that your friend means no harm and that she can be trusted. DO NOT force yourself on the dog and this will just frighten her even more... The home must be peaceful and tranquil, any noise will frighten her... Allow the other dog to show her the ropes and let him be the one to tell her that she is safe and loved. It's amazing how dogs will calm each other down and reassure. This is a very long, painful and exhausting process, taking on a rescue is a project you either love or vow never to do again. When she responds to your friend the love for that dog will be so overwhelming she would gladly do it all again!

What your friend could do is sit in the room talking very softly, she must stay calm as the dog will feel any negative emotions and will stay well away. Slowly and I mean slowly (could take minutes, could take days) inch forward still talking softly. Have treats for her aswel. If she moves away or shows any negative reaction, stay put and wait until the pup calms down. I cannot stress how hard this process is, it took two years for Nellie to trust me, then when she did she wouldn't leave me alone lol!

Harness most definately, I hate choke chains with a passion and if I could find the person who invented them I would put one around their neck!

Any problems pm me and I will do my best to help.

Peace

• TD
    TD
    Anyway, to make a long story short - TOO LATE! - if anyone else has EVER had to deal with such a situation, and was successful at socializing the dog, I would LOVE to hear about it!!

Zid,

I've adopted a few rescues over the years. A dog that has spent its entire life in a kennel can't be suddenly turned out into the open air. (Obviously)

The dog needs to start with a small, quiet room and an open kennel that they can go into and out of at will. As the dog gets used to its new environment it will start spending more and more time outside of the kennel. It's usually at that point where it will start bonding with a person.

It's a lot of work, especially since the dog won't be housebroken for awhile

As the dog becomes more acclimated, you can move up to leash training, short walks and supervised visits outside. Anytime the dog gets scared though, it needs to go back to the kennel. Sometimes a loud motorcycle at the wrong time can set you back a whole week.

The fastest I've ever gotten a dog from kennel to backyard is about six months.

• watersprout
    watersprout

Another thing your friend could do is go into the room where pup is and read a book/paper, write, sort some bits and bobs out ignoring the pup. The pup will find curiosity takes over and will creep out to take a look... Your friend must ignore her and when she gets closer try leaving her hand down so she can have a sniff.

Peace

• Iamallcool
    Iamallcool

that dog needs to see a loving dog psychologist.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit