Brother Hero and Brother Sidekick, should I ask Brother Sidekick about the 1919 selection?

by garyneal 29 Replies latest jw friends

• garyneal
    garyneal

I went to the nearby 7-Eleven on my lunch break to get a fountain drink and I happened to bump into some people from my wife’s congregation including Brother Hero and Brother Sidekick. Brother Hero was the guy who conducted a ‘Bible study’ with me using the Bible Teach book (my God, I have been around the witnesses and former witnesses too much as I even know the cult speak and book name abbreviations). During our ‘study’ he began bringing over another ‘brother’ from the congregation who I began referring to as Brother Sidekick.

I found out from my wife that Brother Sidekick is the son-in-law of one of the elders in that congregation. The elder is a nice fellow, somewhat educated, and quite intelligent. I questioned him on the 607 BCE thing and he even acknowledged that if 607 is wrong, the core foundation of the ‘truth’ goes with it. He later presents me with the Watchtower article that came out recently talking about the very subject. I never responded to him or the article as I find that much of my efforts are simply a waste of time and a distraction from me trying to live my life.

Well, back on topic, I bump into these people while I am at the 7-Eleven who evidently look like they are out in service as they are all dressed up in their suits and ties. Brother Sidekick asks me if I still had the documents that he gave me concerning a verse in the book of Proverbs that shows that Jesus was with His Father in Heaven at and before creation printed using several translations of the Bible (all from Bible Gateway). Apparently, he wanted them back unless I want to keep them he added. Now he never indicated that he wanted them back when he gave them to me and frankly I never bothered to read them. However, I told him that he could have them back if he wanted so he is planning to come by to get them sometime.

In addition to that he said that he had some other research that he thinks that I would appreciate that he wanted bring to me as well. I was thinking some time later about the conversation and I began to wonder, should I take an opportunity to ask him if he would be willing to research the selection in 1919? He seems eager to present ‘research’ to prove to me that the witnesses really take the whole truth about the bible and religion thing seriously. Brother Sidekick even gave me a copy of the Reasoning from the Scriptures book to show me how many translations of the Bible they used to develop their theology and we went over the part that talked about why John 1:1 should read “… and the Word was a god.”

Do you all think I should get him to research the selection in 1919? How would I go about getting him to look into it? Perhaps I should have him research something else instead? What do you all think?

• Alfred
    Alfred

Gary Neal...

Are you referring to this?

WT Flip Flops on 1919

Also, you might find this useful as well…

Finished Mystery

good luck…

• breakfast of champions
    breakfast of champions

OOOoooooooooooooohhhh! The Finished Mystery is a good one, and available on google books.

And it's mentioned in last years DVD!

• LostGeneration
    LostGeneration

I think if you have an actual copy of Finished Mystery with little yellow sticky notes on each page with a note referring to the points on Alfred's thread that would be a hell of an eye opener!

Then again, it might not mean a thing to a mind controlled JW.

• tornapart
    tornapart

Gary, one of the things that JWs don't do is research their own history. If they did it would shock them. Unfortunately WT history is rare to find. One of the things that has done it for me is finding out about Beth Sarim.. the 10 bedroom mansion plus cars that were being provided for 'princes' of the OT such as Abraham, David. Gideon, Samson and others. Of course while they were waiting for their return the President at the time (Rutherford) was spending his 'winter months' there looking after it for them. Get him to research it.. he will have to go on the internet to find it as there are very few references in WT sources. The best place he can go that he would probably be ok with is Wikipedia. There are countless sources and references on it there. I'll be surprised if he doesn't end up thinking what a nutcase Rutherford was.. and he was the guy who gave the bible students the name 'Jehovah's Witnesses'.

• garyneal
    garyneal

Well, I tried to get Brother Hero to read that book. I do not know if he actually did, though. I'm not sure if I should tell him anything.

Maybe something along the lines of, "I see you like your research. I was wondering, how did you ever know that the Jehovah's Witness religion is THE only TRUE religion? I mean thousands of sects of Christianity and many other religions out there, it's a wonder anyone knows. Even if we are to say that the Bible is the only source of truth concerning God, how can we know that the Jehovah's Witnesses have the correct interpretation of it as opposed to some other group?"

I'm sure they have a smattering of answers but the bottom line is by carefully plucking scripture (often out of context) here and there, it can be made to support whatever point of view you want it to. Therefore, how can any Jehovah's Witness be certain that his or her religion is the one true religion?

• garyneal
    garyneal

I could also present some information from Wikipedia and have hime verify it.

"Hey Brother Sidekick, what do you think of what this Wikipedia article says about Russell measuring the pyramids?"

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

The 1919 thing is the one teaching that establishes the authority and raison de etre of the Governing Body/FDS.

Nobody in the WT understands the teaching fully, let alone is able to offer any proof in support of it.

Stick with that, do not let it go, get answers, or try to get them, it is impossible for them to prove that the religion has any foundation that would I.D it as God's Organization.

If they cannot prove this to you, why should you even consider joining ??

• diamondiiz
    diamondiiz

Rather than asking him about 1919, maybe ask him why the articles on 607 he gave you, misquote and misrepresent the information that's in there? C.O. Jonsson does a great job pointing out the deception which should help you with the argument without needing to do too much research yourself. After all, if the Herodub or sidekick acknowledge that 607 is wrong, then you can ask then on what basis are GB their leaders if their authority is all based on a 607.

• scary21
    scary21

Ask him if there has always been a governing body, starting in the 1st cen. ? When he says yes..............ask him if Russell met up with them, and who were they ?...................Where was this governing body with their BRIGHT LIGHT ? ( after 2000 yrs it must have been very very bright )

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit