I don't believe the Bible is Inspired of god - Why do you / don't you?

by cantleave 202 Replies latest watchtower bible

• cantleave
    cantleave

UCantnome:

"It gives me hope. I've not seen a better deal being offered to me...

That is all very well and good, you have been offered something, without proof, based on the ancient writings of goat herders, and you feel that no better has been offered to you.

I think that is very sad!

I look at human achievements and endeavour, that offers me real, tangible hope. The hope that we have the ability within ourselves, using methodologies, developed by the human mind, to resolve our problems.

Life now is so much better than when your goat herders were alive. We have technology that enables us to enjoy a far better quality of life for a much longer time than at any time in human history. We are learning about the way the universe operates. We are on the brink of learning the secrets of life itself, through understanding the genetic map.

What does faith offer? A promise without any foundation.

• Ucantnome
    Ucantnome

But you and I may not have tomorrow.

• still thinking
    still thinking

but...youcantnome...

Many people don't have the type of faith you have...many people belong to completey different religions and yet they could say the same thing and have had similar experiences.

Many people have faith in 'themselves', and guess what...they get the same results.

If you ask yourself for more faith....I'm sure you will give it to yourself...it would be ridiculous not to...since YOU have control over what you give yourself.

And...why wouldn't you want your faith tested that way? How convincing it would be if you were saved...how many people could you convince that God is indeed real? What better way?

Personally...I have faith that I would be eaten by the lion...unless the lion came down with a severe case of indigestion or got struck by lightening...but I don't fancy my chances.

• Ucantnome
    Ucantnome

still thinking

The original question was

I don't believe the Bible is Inspired of God- Why do you/ don't you?

My answer was because I have faith in the Christ ransom that gives me hope. The bible was the original point of discovery for this faith.

I dont have all the answers but I do have faith and that faith has got me through and demonstrated to me the power of God.

• cantleave
    cantleave

Ucantnome

But you and I may not have tomorrow.....

Why is that important? As individuals we are here for a short time. We may not have tomorrow, so we need to make the most of today. What we should want to leave is a legacy. This is what we are doing with science and technology and the increasing of knowledge.

I want my children to live in better world than I was brought up in, and they will want the same for their children. This isn't going to happen by a belief in myths, that divide and cause irrational hatred. It is going to happen by collaboration between people with a thirst for knowledge and desire to learn how to apply that knowledge for the good of others..

• cantleave
    cantleave

Ucantnome - I have a question. Does your faith hold more validity than that of a Muslim or a Hindu?

• still thinking
    still thinking

I do not believe that the bible is the inspired word of God any more than any other holy book is Gods inspired word.

It was written by men...for men.

It was written by people who may or may not have believed in what they wrote...but it was put together by religions who want to control and manipulate people. They picked and chose what THEY wanted it to say...and left out what they didn't want it to say.

I had faith in the bible...I had faith...now I really think my faith was misplaced. I think I gave credit where it was NOT due.

The bible is a book...and that is all.

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

Ucantnome, I have some plots of land for sale on the Moon, do you want to buy some ?

• cantleave
    cantleave

Phizzy, Do I get real moon cheese if I buy one of your plots?

• tec
    tec

What does faith offer? A promise without any foundation.

Faith offers strength, hope, love, and peace. Sometimes knowledge, understanding, wisdom... different gifts of the spirit for different people. Faith also offeres life, with Christ as the foundation of that promise. Faith in Him. I understand that this last one won't mean anything to a non-believer. But the first are tangible now.

Peace,

Tammy

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit