"Forks Over Knives" Documentary on Link between Disease & Diet

by skeeter1 29 Replies latest social physical

• strymeckirules
    strymeckirules

you just keep eating those bacon wrapped wieners cofty.

cofty - show some health benefits from eating bacon and show some health benefits from eating red meat.

ever checked out your prostate?

• shamus100
    shamus100

So what, do you want to live to be 100 and have someone change your diaper?

But then there is the other side of the statement - do you want to have a heart attack at 40, survive, and be sick for the rest of your life?

• cofty
    cofty

strymeckirules don't be such a prick.

There is zero health risk from eating a modest amount of meat as part of a healthy diet that includes a range of meat, fruit,veg and carbs.

My prostate is perfect, thank you for asking.

• shamus100
    shamus100

Perhaps we could start another thread asking how cofty's prostate is? ;(

Did you know, nitwits, just because something is good for you too much of a good thing is really bad for you?

• watersprout
    watersprout

Back to the topic in hand and not Cofty's prostrate!

I watched that Doc a few months back and I LOVED IT! Plenty of really interesting points and I liked how it showed people's health before and then how it was improving during the diet... I don't eat a plant based diet because of my health but that doc really makes you think about what you put in your body. We only get one so why not give it the best foods available!

Peace

• watersprout
    watersprout
    just because something is good for you too much of a good thing is really bad for you?

To much of anything is a bad thing. It's all about balance, although my passionate love affair with oranges at the moment will probably be the death of me! Lol

Peace

• shamus100
    shamus100

Now waterspout is passionate with oranges. SICK!

That's right, it's all about balance. ;)

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

I don't think there is any safe amount of processed meat. It is not natural and it is not healthy in any amount. (I don't practise what I preach by the way and unfortunatley I love bacon rolls)

• watersprout
    watersprout
    Now waterspout is passionate with oranges. SICK!

*lovingly unwraps an orange and holds out a segment to Shamus* Come on monkey boy, have a piece! It's full of orangey goodness!

It is not natural and it is not healthy in any amount.

Damn right! Plus the animals aren't fond of being eaten either.

Peace

• skeeter1
    skeeter1

Wow, what a heated response! I promise you I will not take a cheeseburger out of your mouth.

There are two documentaries on this thread, and I was posting on Forks Over Knives. I thank you for posting the second.

I think humans evolved, and these past 100 years we have radically changed our much our daily caloric consumption to processed and non-plant based diet. The documetnary Forks Over Knives starts with statistics on US eating. We, as a nation, have greatly increased our poundage of meat/cheese/sugar per person we eat on a daily basis.

Year 1900.....to Year 2000

Sugar - 5 pounds/year.....to 170 pounds/year

Soda - 0....to 53 gallons/year

Oils - 7 pounds/year....to 74 pounds/year

Cheese - 2 pounds/year....to 30 pounds/year

Meat - 140 pounds/year....to 200 pounds/year

Home grownProduce - 131 pounds to.....11 pounds/year

Calories - 2100...to 2757

I kept a book that had a study from The World Health Association. It did a large scale population study in the 1960s. Countries like Hugary, USa, Belguim, Sweden who consumed between 10-20% of their daily calories in whole, unprocessed plant foods had a 90-60% of death rate from heart disease or cancer. While countris like Thailand, Laos, Korea, and Mexico who consumed between 50-90% of their calories from whole, unprocessed plant foods had a 30-5% chance of dying from cancer or heart disease between the ages of 55-75 years old. I mean foods like fruits, veggies, whole grains, rice, beans, nuts, and seeds. No one is saying that these populations were vegan, but that meat/eggs/cheese were not the main caloric source for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. What is also not talked about in any of these videos is how smoking affects these figures. I don't know if they smoke less in Thailand or not.

Food for Thought does not go through the World Health study, but through the China study and a few others. There does seem to be a correlation between what is eaten and the long term health effect. Is it causation? That is for you to decide.

Processed foods. We take whole foods, ship them to a factory, factory strips outside kernal/cooks/smashes/etc., and at the end the factory adds back some "enrichment" via vitamins. Vitamins are so 1950s. What science knows and is learning about is micronutrients and how factory processing strips it of it...and how much our bodies need high density, micronutrient rich food for cell repair.

Take nut oils? Healthy? Sure, in small quantity. But, the whole nut is better to eat. First, there's fiber and micronutrients that you are not going to get from a bottle of oil.

400 calories of oil will not even make a drop in your stomach. 400 calories of chicken will fill it a little. But, 400 calories of veggies and beans will FILL your stomach to the point that the stretch receptors will tell your brain it is full.

In 2005, according to the USDA Economics Rsearch Service 2005 study, America consumed

- 62% of its diet from processed foods (oil, sweets, refined grains)

- 25.5% of its diet from meas, eggs, diary & fish

- 10% from unrefined plant foods (fruit, veggies, beans, nuts & seeds)

- 2.5% from whole grains

Yes, there does seem to be a link between processed foods and disease. Forks Over Knives explores this link and tries to answer "Why?" It explores the different acids like Advanced Glycation End Products . . and, yes, that blood fat levels in about the first 4 hours after eating a fatty meal...which causes the liver & pancreas to kick into high gear. Pancreas works so hard, for so long. . . then it stops working . . . and, one gets diabetes.

But, the DVD Forks Over Knives does leave out whether other factors, such as sunlight (vitamin D . . . that we are just finding out could be a cause in autoimmune diseases like Chroms), smoking, could also be a cause; and how much fish might be a cure. This DVD does not talk much about cold water fish.

I don't think the "old" people in the Forks vs. Knives videos are in ill health. Rather, they are thriving. No, I don't want to live forever. But, I do want to live to be as healthy as Barbara and Jo Anderson! I want to live a thriving 70, 80, and 90 year old!

Food for thought.

Skeeter

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit