"Forks Over Knives" Documentary on Link between Disease & Diet

by skeeter1 29 Replies latest social physical

• EntirelyPossible
    EntirelyPossible

The doctors in the videos have fallen prey to thinking that by virtue of being on TV their outside the box thinking is somehow right.

• cofty
    cofty

I think the doctor in the video above was being facetious about the fat going immediately into your blood

If you watch the first 6 minutes I think you will see he was being serious. He even gave it a name lykemia and claims it is a well known phenomena - "it stays that way for four hours until your liver clears it out"

He is a quack.

• Kahlua
    Kahlua

I had to look further. I could not find lykemia but looks like the correct word is lipemia

Here is one link for definitions - http://medical-dictionary.thefreedictionary.com/lipemia These are some clips from that site:

alimentary lipemia that occurring after ingestion of food. lipemia retina´lis that manifested by a milky appearance of the veins and arteries of the retina.

alimentary lipemia that occurring after eating. lipemia retina´lis a milky appearance of the veins and arteries of the retina, occurring when the lipids of the blood exceed 5 per cent and in diabetes mellitus and leukemia

alimentary lipemia postprandial lipemia (below). fasting lipemia that present when food has been withheld for at least 24 hours. postprandial lipemia a physiological effect that occurs between 2 and 12 hours after the ingestion of food high in lipids.

• SixofNine
    SixofNine

If you watch the first 6 minutes I think you will see he was being serious. He even gave it a name lykemia and claims it is a well known phenomena - "it stays that way for four hours until your liver clears it out"
    He is a quack.

So you were wrong then, as Kahlua pointed out?

I highly recommend the information contained in the book/movie Skeeter posted about, Forks Over Knives. It is nothing short of miraculous how much better I felt after a few weeks eating this way.

http://youtu.be/u8x379w1LEU

• SixofNine
    SixofNine

We are omnivores, enjoy your bacon sandwich.

But don't eat it every day, or even every week. Because that would be demonstrably bad for your health. "Omnivore" doesn't mean "evolved to eat meat and/or high fat, highly processed foods every day for every meal".

• lisaBObeesa
    lisaBObeesa
    At 5 minutes in the video he says that all the fat in a burger etc goes straight into the blood and turns it thick and gloopy until the liver can clear it out.
    Bullshit.

As pointed out above, eating a fatty meal does raise triglyceride levels in the blood for several hours after eating.

Sometimes people who take great care of themselves just get sick and the solution is drugs and/or surgery.

Is that supposed to be an argument against reducing your risk for heart disease by eating a healthy diet?

• cofty
    cofty

I already said that...

"Of course diet does play a role in disease prevention but the poseur in the video is pretending he has discovered something profound."

His description of how fat turns your blood to goo is scaremongering.

He is a charlatan.

• lisaBObeesa
    lisaBObeesa
    His description of how fat turns your blood to goo is scaremongering.

Actually, it's a fact. Ask your doctor. And he doesn't say it turns your blood into 'goo', he says 'every time you eat a fatty mean your turn your blood fatty and it stays this way for four hours...'

He is a charlatan.

I see no evidence of that yet.

• cofty
    cofty

I am a sports coach and have a good basic knowledge of nutrition and physiology. Most people have far too much fat in their diet, we all know this.

Its all about balance - this man is using scare tactics to promote his pet theory which no doubt is directly connected to his source of income.

• lisaBObeesa
    lisaBObeesa
    Its all about balance - this man is using scare tactics to promote his pet theory which no doubt is directly connected to his source of income.

What 'scare tactics'?

What 'pet theory'?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit