Early Civilizations and Bible Chronology...Part 2

by xelder 29 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• xelder
    xelder

Was away from my normal computer and so my two posts to start the first thread didn't show.

However, thanks to all who picked up the topic and commented ShadesofGrey, Sizemik, Lars, Designs, OTWO, JWfacts. Since I never commented on my own thread, I thought I should and thank everyone.

Adam's claimed date of creation of c. 4000 BC was mentioned, however, the Bible would have everyone coming from Noah at c. 2650 BC. American civilizations are said to date prior to the usual Biblical date of the flood. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_pre-Columbian_cultures It seems quite unlikely that the America's would be settled in such a short time since the likely route seems to be through Alaska.

The following is an example of C14 being confirmed by calcifications that have grown over cave paintings in Chauvet Cave in France http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chauvet_Cave 20000 - 35000 years ago. Netflix has a great documentary about the cave.

In light of these (as well as many, many other) examples, I just can't take Bible chronology seriously. All life we know came from c 2650 after Noah's flood? Not to mention, how did Penguins get to Antarctica?

Thanks again in advance for all your comments, and for keeping it respectful.

• cofty
    cofty

I took these pictures of standing stones that are a few miles from my house. They are at least 4,500 years old. They did well to survive the flood don't you think?

• ziddina
    ziddina

Meh...

If you REALLY want to get into something "old", check out the "Berekhat Ram" figurine - a female figure approx. 1 inch long, probably of an earth goddess or supreme mother figurine, that is over 232,000 years old...

That's TWO HUNDRED THIRTY TWO THOUSAND years old... And it may be much older than that...

One or two other "venus" figurines are also very ancient - in the hundred-thousand year range and older...

Zid

• ziddina
    ziddina

And speaking of "american" civilizations, the "Clovis" people - and their artifacts, specifically those exquisite spear-heads - date around 10,000 to 13,000 years old...

• ziddina
    ziddina

Hey, Cofty! Those stones are fascinating - do you get to walk over there, very often???

Have you ever checked them out during a solstice or equinox??

• johnnyc
    johnnyc

I think dating is the problem. There are various ways we have to date things that ALL require "estimating" baselines in the past. Per the flood story, there was a water canopy surrounding the earth. That alone would change the dating results by most methods if such a canopy existed.

Although, I have never been a big fan of trying to matchup biblical timeframes with anything, since ALL the bible writers avoided getting too specific with dates. There must have been a reason.

• Larsinger58
    Larsinger58

Thanks xelder for the reference about the C14 from the cave!!

This is an example of actual research. That is, someone like me who sticks to the strict Biblical timeline which would date mankind less than 6000 years and evidence from a cave that dates charcoal used in some paintings on the wall back to 32,000 years. This is a definite, potential conflict between "science" and particularly C14 and the Bible. Here's there reference from the link regarding the dating:

Dating

The cave contains the oldest known cave paintings, based on radiocarbon dating of "black from drawings, from torch marks and from the floors", according to Jean Clottes. Clottes concludes that the "dates fall into two groups, one centred around 27,000-26,000 BP and the other around 32,000-30,000 BP." [1] As of 1999, the dates of 31 samples from the cave had been reported. The earliest, sample Gifa 99776 from "zone 10", dates to 32,900±490 BP. [5]

However, some archaeologists have questioned these dates. Christian Züchner, based on stylistic comparisons with similar paintings at other well dated sites, is of the opinion that the red paintings are from the Gravettian period (c. 28,000–23,000 BP) and the black paintings are from the Early Magdalenian period (early part of c. 18,000–10,000 BP). [6] Pettitt and Bahn also believe the dating is inconsistent with the traditional stylistic sequence and that there is uncertainty about the source of the charcoal used in the drawings and the extent of surface contamination on the exposed rock surfaces. [7] [8] New stylistic studies show that some Gravettian engravings are superimposed on black paintings proving the paintings' older origins. [9]

By 2011, over 80 radiocarbon dates had been taken, with samples from torch marks and from the paintings themselves, as well as from animal bones and charcoal found on the cave floor. The radiocarbon dates from these samples suggest that there were two periods of creation in Chauvet: 35,000 years ago and 30,000 years ago. [10]

Now this presents a real conflict, right? This disproves the Bible's timeline, right? Not exactly. Because the same article states that "contamination" might affect the C14 dates! This is similar to using argon gas to date things. It seems to have a reasonably theory for dating, but in the case of a lava flow in Hawaii which was clearly dated at the time of an eruption, argon dating dated the event millions of years into the past based upon incidental high-level pockets of argon gas. So every sample does not represent true dating. It has to be isolated from exceptions to the rule, like contamination or irregular concentrations.

But this leaves the classic creationists/WTS explanation which is the introduction of some irregularity in the sample that is giving the false positive. Further, as I noted, it has been demonstrated that C14 veers off track from dendrochronology at bout 1500-1600 BCE, so all dates from C14 beyond c. 1600 BCE would be considered artificially earlier than they really are.

So I'm back at square one. But I can't blame scientists who see this potentiality for questioning the Bible. Questioning the Bible works for them at this level. But for the elect or myself, who have more direct contact via holy spirit or who have experienced miracles or even seen Christ or Jehovah themselves, there is no doubt there is a God and since we believe he inspired the Bible and the current interpretation of the timeline is correct, we tend to doubt the results based on inexpertise in understanding fully C14 dating and variables.

But providing the specific reference was important. It allows us to get to this point based on the actual reference, rather than the presumption that any real credible evidence from C14 exists prior to c. 1600 BCE.

Thanks, again, for providing this reference.

LS

• Diest
    Diest

Larsinger58 Reminds me of a muppet who always appears when you mention numbers....Hey guys I can help your biblical dating...

• Larsinger58
    Larsinger58

Larsinger58 Reminds me of a muppet who always appears when you mention numbers....Hey guys I can help your biblical dating...

Aha! I'm not an XJW with his own opinion? Freedom of speech is for only those who agree with you, right? Yeah, well, hate to "rock the boat."

The difference between what I tell you and what you hear anywhere else is that what you learn from me you will be tested on later! tee hee (just kidding... sort of).

LS

• AnnOMaly
    AnnOMaly

In light of these (as well as many, many other) examples, I just can't take Bible chronology seriously. All life we know came from c 2650 after Noah's flood?

Can't there be a middle way?

http://biologos.org/questions/genesis-flood

Conclusion

An informed reading of the Genesis story neither permits nor requires it to be a universal, global flood, and geology does not support a universal reading. A non-global interpretation does not undermine the lessons learned from the Genesis Flood account that are pertinent to the life of faith.

Larsinger58 Reminds me of a muppet ...

Me too! He's my favorite muppet as well

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit