Watchtower declares war... on the "Good Old Days" ?!?!?

by NoRegrets 20 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• NoRegrets
    NoRegrets

If any of you go to jw.org and look at magazine PDFs for a laugh or a shiver, you should have seen this gem in the March 15, 2012 study edition! They actually are attacking people's memories and trying to say that things really didn't used to be better and that their mind is playing tricks on them! Even when they look back on the past with fondness, perhaps even the time before they became witnesses, they are mistaken and deluded according to the Tower! Read on:

THE GOOD OLD DAYS
    6 One distinct danger is a distorted
    view of the good old days. Our memory
    is not always reliable.
    We may unwittingly minimize
    the problems we had in
    the past and at the same time exaggerate
    the joys, making it seem that things
    were a lot better than they really were.

This distorted recollection can cause us
    to long for the good old days.
    But the Bible
    warns us: “Do not say, ‘Why were
    the old days better than these days?’ for
    it is not wise to ask that.” (Eccl. 7:10,
    New English Translation)

When faced with difficulties and problems,
    let us not fixate on what may appear
    to have been positive things in the
    past—perhaps even before we came to a
    knowledge of the truth
    . Although it is
    not wrong to meditate on the lessons we
    have learned from past experiences or
    to savor cherished memories, we need
    to maintain a balanced, realistic view
    of the past. Otherwise, we could accen-
    tuate our dissatisfaction with our present
    circumstances and be tempted to
    return to our former way of life.

Unbelievable, eh? They are saying that first, the good old days weren't really that good. Second, if you remember the good old days fondly, your mind is playing tricks on you. And especially third, don't even think about dwelling on how happy you were before you became a witness!!!!

NR

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

As usual , a little bit of fact mixed with mind control. Truth is we do tend to look back to say, our childhood years, and think that it was a golden age.

If we had a happy childhood, for us, to a degree, it was a golden age, but the reality is different, in oh so many ways, overall, life is better now.

Then comes the mind control, because the above thought is covered first, the average JW will think, yes the time before I was a JW is like that too,it just seems as though those years were golden years.

And then they will not do a proper comparison, they will not think about how much leisure time they had then, how they were free to join whatever group or activity they wanted to, how they could plan and control their own future etc etc

The thinking has been shut down. Or so the WT hopes, they can't have this hankering for a free life you know !

JW's must keep on going, like a mouse in a wheel.

• Billy the Ex-Bethelite
    Billy the Ex-Bethelite

The only point they really want to make is for the converts to forget how much happier they were before they were recruited into the cult.

The real JW message is that everything is getting worse by the day, and the world was a loving and happy place before 1914.

They can't have it both ways that the old days were both good and not good, but that won't stop them from printing their duplicity.

• bob1999
    bob1999

"The real JW message is that everything is getting worse by the day, and the world was a loving and happy place before 1914.

They can't have it both ways that the old days were both good and not good, but that won't stop them from printing their duplicity."

You've just said a mouthfull.

Thanks

Peace

• exwhyzee
    exwhyzee

In 1902 people were probably saying "Things were so much better back in 1860...everythings gone to hell in a handbasket", especially the founding fathers of the Watchtower who were only too delighted to see the future fraught with nothing but woe that would fulfill their predictions.

To the ones looking back overly fondly on the past, it seems true. Sometimes we remember the past through rose colored glasses especially as we get older. One remembers the past as being better than today because one was younger and lets face it, things usually look a little brighter for a 20 year old than a 70 year old....in this world it's better to be young than to be old.

I get the sense that they are trying to remind people to be content with the present rather than cause oneself discontent by looking back and mistakenly thinking things were a lot better than they really were. Today is the yesterday you will look back fondly on in the future. The trouble is, each book and magazine they print is loaded with one sided information, pointing out all the problems with the present and all the woe that is to come.

• arko_n9ne
    arko_n9ne

with some of you i must disagree. the past was much better and happier for me. i was accepted to avatar press for a job. i had a list of friends and family that could be trusted. and i was happier.

but in 2007 my older brother died. i met a girl who made me cut off all connections. i couldnt leave texas for a professional comic book penciler job because she wouldnt leave.

so now all i have to my being is my name and my word without much light left on a pleasant future. so i think i am going to view the past with a much happier outlook.

the only positive things about my life now is that my brother dying is the single event that kept me from joing the wts.

• therevealer
    therevealer

The only point they really want to make is for the converts to forget how much happier they were before they were recruited into the cult.

I agree totally with Billy

• oompa
    oompa

buhruther......oompa

• Mickey mouse
    Mickey mouse

What else do you expect from a cult?

CCMC

Combatting Cult Mind Control - Steve Hassan.

• breakfast of champions
    breakfast of champions

MICKEYMOUSE - fantastic quote from a great book!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit