Watchtower declares war... on the "Good Old Days" ?!?!?

by NoRegrets 20 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

NO REGRETS: Apparently, some JWs are waking up and remembering "the good old days" before they joined, and the religion just can't have that. While people may generalize that the old days were good, nobody really believes they were perfect. The religion simply does not want the average JW to realize how much HARDER their lives have become with the demands of the religion, coupled with the judgmentalism, lack of love and any other bad experiences they may have there. Believe me, you can be left reeling from some bad experiences there! This certainly wasn't Jesus's "light load". This was a load of bricks!! I remember waking up to a feeling of disillusionment and I realized there were many things wrong with the religion. Nobody was going to convince ME that it was a figment of MY imagination!

• NoRegrets
    NoRegrets

Great comments everyone! I feel that they are trying to quiet a growing discontentment in the membership as the teachings come to fruition. No higher education leads to low paying, exportable jobs. A hyperactive routine that we all remember the pressure of. Promises and prophecies not fulfilled. All of this has led to sighing and crying, but not for the son of man, but for a way out of the cult!!!!

NR

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

It might be true that the old days were not as good as they seem from today. But, to those who were recruited into the cancer, usually the older (pre-Washtowel) days were in fact better. It is that that the Washtowel is seeking to purge--memories of Christmas before it was Satanic, memories of vacations taken 10 years before you joined the cancer (where you could have done bad things but didn't), and memories of when you actually had free time. They do the same to those who were once more liberal, but are seeking "higher privileges" or are under a crackdown. Rather than comparing things under a liberal version to now, they want such witlesses to forget the times when they were more liberal and simply do more for the cancer.

• wha happened?
    wha happened?

I came into this religion in my early twenties so I had a life outside to draw from. Honestly, if I were still in I would also be thinking of the good old days. There must be some flight of publishers such as myself because alot of us are leaving to go back to the things left behind like, a career, education, a social life with individuals who have an education beyond the 10th grade, faith in human kind, an opinion........

The sell of the spiritual paradise and the association are just so stale now.

• minimus
    minimus

C U L T

• designs
    designs

Religion likes to cut you off from life, one way is to distort memory.

• sir82
    sir82

Read between the lines:

Lots of JWs are disassociating, or at least becoming inactive and "fading".

Circuit overseers talk to elders assigned to those cases, or make shepheding calls on "discouraged inactive" JWs.

A common theme? "My life was much better when I was not yet a JW" or "I missed out on a lot opportunities because I was a JW and now regret it".

Circuit overseers note this in their reports back to the WTS.

It has happened enough that it has warranted a WT study article.

• undercover
    undercover

Actually this line of thinking from the WTS isn't new.

Maybe they haven't put it in writing quite like this before (or in a long time) but I do remember there being talks counseling about reminiscing over the "good ole days". I remember one talk that pretty much made you feel guilty for having nostalgic thoughts from the past.

As Sir82 pointed out, more and more people are becoming disillusioned. And they're willing to share their misgivings to elders enough that it's getting reported higher up. Thus, trot out the ole "don't get nostaligic over the good ole days" tactic.

Ah, the good ole days... when the WTS damned, condemned or demonized every facet of everyday, normal living...

• darth frosty
    darth frosty

yeah they have some:

To print that crap!

• man oh man
    man oh man

Let's see, what are my thoughts about the good ole days? Hmm, well I agree with others that my past before jw was much better. Best memories have to do with family and freinds something the watchtower always finds a way to come between. It seems to me that an article of this sort would be counter productive?

It's funny when i stop and think about it. None of my favorite memories have to do with wt. Just family and freinds. Oh those precious moments!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit