A PRACTICAL campaign to inform, educate and PERHAPS assist in releasing YOUR FAMILY and friends. Would you support it?

by nicolaou 68 Replies latest members private

• DT
    DT

I think this is a great idea. Disfellowshipping and shunning denies a voice to those who disagree and gives members a false sense of unity and conformity. This is a good way to give dissidents a voice. I think a periodic reminder that someone close to them disagrees with the Watchtower Society can be very powerful, even if the postcards aren't actually read.

• DT
    DT

How about something like this? (very rough draft)

One of your friends is in trouble.

Someone you know is afraid of losing all his friends and family because he can't agree with all the current teachings of the Governing Body. He is afraid of being disfellowshipped for apostasy if he approaches the elders with this problem and they aren't able to answer his questions.

It may be that you don't think it is possible for someone to be disfellowshipped for just expressing doubts. However, this has been known to happen and private instructions to circuit and district overseers say it isn't necessary for someone to actually share his concerns with others to be guilty of apostasy.

(Perhaps some of this quotation from the Sep. 1, 1980 letter to circuit and district overseers could be included in the text or as a footnote, depending on the space that is available. "Keep in mind that to be disfellowshiped, an apostate does not have to be a promoter of apostate views. As mentioned in paragraph two, page 17 of the August 1, 1980, Watchtower, "The word 'apostasy' comes from a Greek term that means 'a standing away from,' 'a falling away, defection,' 'rebellion, abandonment. Therefore, if a baptized Christian abandons the teachings of Jehovah, as presented by the faithful and discreet slave, and persists in believing other doctrine despite Scriptural reproof, then he is apostatizing. Extended, kindly efforts should be put forth to readjust his thinking. However, if, after such extended efforts have been put forth to readjust his thinking, he continues to believe the apostate ideas and rejects what he has been provided through the 'slave class, then appropriate judicial action should be taken.")

In any case, this person is very worried that his concerns will be discovered and result in his disfellowshipping. If this happens he will likely be shunned by all his friends and family.

He is sending this postcard with the hope that at least one or two people will show him kindness if this happens. Please prayerfully consider whether it would be appropriate to maintain limited contact with someone who just wants to obey God rather than men.

This person sincerely hopes he will one day be able to talk to you without fear.

• nicolaou
    nicolaou

I think I will move forward with this and anticipate launching in the Spring. Input and suggestions gratefully received.

Nic'

• Broken Promises
    Broken Promises
    If enough of these were sent and paranoia ensued, eventually, those who did NOT get the post cards would become suspect of SENDING them. LMAO.

Haha!!

Nic, I hope you do go ahead with this. I think it's a great idea - practical, cheap and anonymous.

• cedars
    cedars
    I think I will move forward with this and anticipate launching in the Spring. Input and suggestions gratefully received.

Good for you Nic. Keep us informed!

Cedars

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

Please do it as soon as possible. I think it is a good idea, especially the "generation" one.

• nicolaou
    nicolaou

I mentioned these in another thread but wanted to post the images here. Any demand for these postcards to send to the elders in your cong'? They're not quite print ready but if enough of us are willing to post them out I can have a supply of several thousands ready in one week.

FRONT

shunned a

BACK

shunned b

• Mad Sweeney
    Mad Sweeney

Finally sent you a PM, Nic. Check your FB.

• 00DAD
    00DAD

Great idea. I have a couple of questions:

1. Why don't you have the names of the people on the 1914 Watchtower on the back of the card?
    2. Regarding the DF card, you might want to include a comment that this practice is in fact NOT a command of God, but a command of men

Just some ideas,

00DAD

• nicolaou
    nicolaou

Hi 00DAD.

The 1914/Generation card is not finished yet, it'll be worth the wait. As far as including scriptures or pointing out what is or is not a command of god - NO. Others can preach if they want to, I am NOT starting a ministry.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit