Long-Term Effects of Physical Abuse

by rebel8 31 Replies latest watchtower child-abuse

• myusername
    myusername

I think every aspect of your life is affected. You're not the person you would have been if you didn't experience the neglect/abuse.

My advice: don't minimize, rationalize, deny, deflect the abuse that took place, or make excuses for the abusers. Our society tends to pressure victims to do that. For anyone who was abused, I'll recommend reading Alice Miller as a start, if a person is ready to face what happened and not look for ways to condone it.

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

Yes. ACA goes on about allowing your inner child to speak. They suggest gathering childhood photos and then writing a letter to yourself in your voice of that age. Maybe I am confusing Inner Child and True Self. The abuse prob. started even before birth. I have no clue as to who I would have been but for the abuse.

It is only through ACA groups and readings that I am beginning to realize how horrific the abuse was. No one talked about abuse when I was young. A social welfare agency became involved. I had a rape monitoring system in place. They wanted me to leave my friends and school and go in hiding with relatives across the country. My mom would explain my father's actions by saying he was strict. Strict, no way. Criminal and pig - yes. I thought he was Abraham. He was a maintaince man. A minister sounded so much more upscale.

Much of his crap can be squarely laid at the feet of Rutherford. The Bethel in those days bred women haters. Of course, in fairness, his best friend at Bethel married my aunt. He gave the WT concepts lip service but he was so respectful of her at home.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit