Long-Term Effects of Physical Abuse

by rebel8 31 Replies latest watchtower child-abuse

• rebel8
    rebel8

Oh my gosh no, I don't have trouble sleeping related to this, or even anxiety really. I don't medicate in any form.

What other long term effects do others experience? I'm interested to know.

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

I hope you get the info. and insight you seek rebel, I have long been interested in how our formative years affect us, and if we can escape their effects.

We seem to be affected in such a strong and subtle way by our early life, and the way we were treated.

My father was not capable, due to his Autism, of understanding how other people were feeling, even his own children, I think that has affected me in a sort of reverse way, I am super-sensitive to the feelings of others, and hate to see them upset, or even slightly uncomfortable, I am the one to smooth over any "unpleasantness" as we stiff upper lip Brits call it.

My childhood was normal for its era really, apart from being raised in the JW's , so I was not abused in any way. I cry for the children like you who were , and I shed tears now for those who are abused in so many ways in the JW religion.

I wish parents could see the harm they are capable of doing, and replace that with the good that is in the power of their hand to give, namely unconditional love to their children.

• Violia
    Violia

and my perception that life is a series of serial battles for justice to fight, and the one I'm going to win is always the current one.

This was painful to read as it is how I have lived my life also. I must be vigilant as I must continue fighting to protect myself. I started to list what I have been through but felt too disgusted . What does it matter? My life has been forever altered by these experiences and while I have had a lot of therapy, having self respect after all this is not easy for me.

What I have from all of the abuse is what soldiers used to call " shell shock,PTSD and also dissociative disorder.

Here is an article I found to explain the difference , there is a link between them and they do overlap.

http://ptsd.about.com/od/relatedconditions/a/dissociation.htm

my life feels like being the redheaded bastard child at the family reunion , always fighting for my right to exist.

• trueblue
  • jamiebowers
    jamiebowers

The only long term effect I cn think of in relation to severe physical abuse as teen by my non-jw father and in early adulthood by my jw huband is an exaggerated startle response. It happens every time someone suddenly comes up on me. As far as poor physical health is concerned, the more disabled I become, the more concerned I am with easy access to weapons at home and personal security measures.

• AdaMakawee
    AdaMakawee

I have read recently that in brain scans of adults who were abused as children, the brains showed the same PTSD as those of combat veterans. Yes, post traumatic stress syndrome is common in adult survivors of childhood abuse. I too have this. You don't have to have every symptom to have PTSD. But if you are a survivor, you have a lot of similarities. I always know who is in the room with me. Never sit without my back to a wall if I can help it, and have had to work for years on being ok if people don't like me. I was told over and over for too many years to count, that I was stupid, that no one liked me, that no one could ever love me, that I was bad, etc. That psychological component to the abuse will haunt you for years. I've had therapy, but you can never have too much to help you because it will always be with you at some level or another.

When I meet others with similar histories I always say they are in the club. You can always tell.

But hey, not only did we survive, but we are the most excellent people that we are today because of our past experiences. I'm not saying that is ok, but we are not responsible for what someone else did or said, just for ourselves. So cheers to all of us survivors.

• rebel8
    rebel8

Ada, I just found this page: http://www.ptsd.va.gov/professional/pages/dsm-iv-tr-ptsd.asp

I don't meet the criteria for PTSD for the physical abuse, though I come closer if you include the medical neglect whereby I was allowed to nearly bleed to death numerous times. I hadn't thought about that. ETA: Nope, still don't meet the criteria.

I used to treat people for PTSD and am familiar w/grounding techniques, etc. but I don't experience those things myself. My empathy to those who do. (( ))

trueblue, are you suggesting we shouldn't try to help ourselves now because the Imaginary Bearded Sky Daddy is going to delete our memories some day in the future? I assume you are posting that scripture because your jw inculcation taught you to, but please know that is kind of offensive.

• IMHO
    IMHO

... or as Dr. House would say "All parents mess up their kids"

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

The poet Philip Larkin put it more succinctly "They f**k you up, your parents do...."

• trueblue
    trueblue

rebel8 I posted the scripture because I wanted to remind myself that there is hope. not to offend anyone but you don't make any sense, posting this thread trying to figure out wether you have ptsd then state you use to treat people with ptsd. If you already know then why ask?

stab me in the back

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit