Generation - one more time

by johnnyc 13 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Black Sheep
    Black Sheep

The 1995 change is clarified in the 1 June 1997 WT p28 QFR

So the recent information in The Watchtower about “this generation” did not change our understanding of what occurred in 1914. But it did give us a clearer grasp of Jesus’ use of the term “generation,” helping us to see that his usage was no basis for calculating—counting from 1914—how close to the end we are.

Quote it, then ask her to explain what it means. Don't do it for her.

• Miles3
    Miles3

johnnyc, I don't know if it's what you're looking for, but for Russel the genaration started in 1874, not 1914. It was supposed to end in 1914. So they definitely changed the reference frame.

• Ucantnome
    Ucantnome

"Jesus was obviously speaking about those who were old enough to witness with understanding what took place when the "last days" began. Jesus was saying that those persons who were alive at the appearance of the 'sign of the lastdays' would still be alive when God brought this system to its end.

Even if we presume that younsters 15 years of age would be perceptive enough to realize the import of what happened in 1914, it would still make the youngest of "this generation" nearly 70years old today." Awake 1968 Oct 8 page 12

I think now it is an overlapping generation, something like those alive then will have overlapped with the ones who are alive when the tribulation strikes.

• breakfast of champions
    breakfast of champions

MILES3 - yes, and russel's generation kind of made sense: it was a 40 year time of "harvest," an actual generation between Christ's invisible presence in 1874 and 1914.*

*this is all complete bullshit as far as I'm concerned!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit