Elder father sent me an email about Feb 2012 WT - my resposne

by TheStumbler 97 Replies latest watchtower bible

• wannabefree
    wannabefree
    Can anyone point me towards a recent publication that shows this teaching is still current?

Here are a few more recent comments. The Org seems to be a little less obvious than times past, but a Witness knows what it means to be a member of the "great crowd" and the requirements to have an "approved condition".

*** km 3/10 p. 2 pars. 3-4 The Work of Paramount Importance ***
    3 Saves Lives: Jehovah "does not desire any to be destroyed but desires all to attain to repentance." (2 Pet. 3:9) Yet, without someone to teach them, how would people ever learn what Jehovah considers to be proper or improper conduct? (Jonah 4:11; Rom. 10:13-15) When individuals respond to the good news, the quality of their lives improves as they abandon harmful practices. (Mic. 4:1-4) Furthermore, they gain the joyful prospect of everlasting life. Our active preaching and teaching saves us and those who listen to us. (1 Tim. 4:16) What a highly honored role we have in this most important work!
    4 Soon the great tribulation will bring an abrupt end to this unrighteous world. Those who take Jehovah's side will survive. Thus, preaching and making disciples is the most urgent, important, and beneficial work taking place today. Let us give it the foremost place in our lives!-Matt. 6:33.

*** jr chap. 14 p. 176 par. 16 You Can Benefit From the New Covenant ***
    16 At Revelation 7:9, 14, the "great crowd" are seen "dressed in white robes," which implies a clean standing with God. To be in line to survive "the great tribulation," that great crowd is now being formed. Hence, even now these gain a certain righteous standing before God. They are being declared righteous as Jehovah's friends.

*** lv chap. 16 p. 185 par. 4 Oppose the Devil and His Crafty Acts ***
    Jehovah has foretold that "a great crowd" of true Christians will survive the coming "great tribulation." (Revelation 7:9, 14) God's prophecies never fail. Therefore, even Satan must know that God's people as a whole are beyond his reach.

*** w11 1/15 p. 32 Dwell on What Jehovah Has Done for You ***
    Jesus stated: "He that exercises faith in me, that one also will do the works that I do; and he will do works greater than these." (John 14:12) Today, God's servants are accomplishing the greatest Christian works ever. Over seven million individuals look forward to surviving the great tribulation.

*** w10 7/15 p. 11 par. 16 "What Sort of Persons Ought You to Be!" ***
    Jesus said: "Keep awake, then, all the time making supplication that you may succeed in escaping all these things that are destined to occur, and in standing before the Son of man." (Luke 21:36) Note Jesus' use of the word "supplication," which is a very earnest form of prayer. By admonishing us to make supplication, Jesus emphasized that this is no time to be casual about standing before him and his Father. Only those standing in an approved condition will have the prospect of surviving Jehovah's day.

*** w09 2/15 p. 28 They "Keep Following the Lamb" ***
    Those Who Listen to the Slave Are Blessed
    18 Since its appointment, the faithful and discreet slave has been "bringing the many to righteousness." (Dan. 12:3) These include those who have the hope of surviving the destruction of the present wicked system of things. What a blessing this righteous standing with God is!

*** w06 9/15 p. 6 Are We Really Living in "the Last Days"? ***
    Only those standing in an approved condition before the Son of man, Jesus, will have the prospect of surviving the end of this system of things.

*** km 9/06 p. 4 Adjustments for the Book Revelation-Its Grand Climax At Hand! ***
    CHAPTER 20
    p. 128, ¶30, replace last sentence with: Only a minority of mankind, including any of the sealed 144,000 who might still be remaining in the flesh and a great crowd of other sheep who will "stand," that is, survive with them.-Jeremiah 35:19; 1 Corinthians 16:13.

*** w10 4/15 p. 14 Do You Let Jehovah Question You? ***
    "Is the Judge of all the earth not going to do what is right?" (Gen. 18:25) Abraham posed this rhetorical question to Jehovah at the time of God's judgment of Sodom and Gomorrah. Abraham considered it unthinkable that Jehovah could ever act unjustly-putting the righteous to death with the wicked. Abraham's question reflects his deep faith in Jehovah's righteousness.

Today, some may be inclined to speculate about matters regarding Jehovah's future judgments, such as who exactly will survive Armageddon or who will receive a resurrection. Rather than allowing such thoughts to disturb us, we can recall Abraham's question. Knowing Jehovah as a benevolent heavenly Father and having complete confidence in his justice and mercy, as Abraham did, prevents us from wasting time and energy on unnecessary worry, weakening doubt, and useless debate.

• keyser soze
    keyser soze
    Is it possible that many who die at Armageddon will be resurrected?

JWs believe otherwise, at least they did when I was in. I was always taught that all who died at Armageddon wouldn't have hope of a resurrection.

• blondie
    blondie

The WTS has said that some jws might die due to health issues (such as diabetes) but not due to direct execution at the hands of Jesus, the angels, and the anointed already in heaven. Those would be resurrected...but obviously any jws on earth would not know until they are resurrected. I have that quote at home (no CD at work). The WTS does not preach individual protection for jws only the organization as a group.

• Listener
    Listener

Thanks for the answers. I also remember that being taught Keyser and that it was important to be a JW in order for our children to come under the same protection. I am starting to think this was more because of scare tactics and to impress on JWs how important it was to be in the organization.

What you are saying Blondie would be more reasonable to put in print, however I don't think they would want to emphasize the idea too greatly. They even given the impression that JWs have some sort of protection at times during calamaties occurring now and in the past.

• Billy the Ex-Bethelite
    Billy the Ex-Bethelite

Well written. Well thought through. Unfortunately, such logic is not allowed in Watchtowerland.

What foundation do they have to make the claim that very soon the entire world and every army is going to declare war on Jehovah's Witnesses? Their prophecies about the King of the North are unfulfilled. Their prophecies about the destruction of "false religion" is far from reality. Yet they cherish their wonderful dream that very soon rocks are going to fall from the sky and smash open the heads of billions of innocent people and children, just so they can have pet pandas.

• TheStumbler
    TheStumbler

@Black Sheep,

yeah, that was what I was thinking, I'll make my next email very focused on this one issue - maybe phrase it like 'you understanding of the Bible obviously differs from the Watchtower's because the Watchtower teaches.....[only JWs will survive] - if it is in the Watchtower he can't deny it.

• TheStumbler
    TheStumbler

Blondie,

thanks for the references - I'll definitely be using some of them.

It's frustrating, on another thread on here a few days ago I saw 2010 Watchtower quote stating only the 'Great Crowd' would survive but I can't find it now. I knew I should have saved it when I saw it!

• TheStumbler
    TheStumbler

So what is everyone's take on him saying that the Watchtower does not teach that only JWs will survie?

Is it possible a JW elder could genuinely believe this?

Is this just self deception to reconcile a 'loving God' with Armageddon?

• ShadesofGrey
    ShadesofGrey
    Do they believe that they are the only ones who will be saved?

No. Millions that have lived in centuries past and who were not Jehovah's Witnesses will come back in a resurrection and have an opportunity for life. Many now living may yet take a stand for truth and righteousness before the "great tribulation," and they will gain salvation. Moreover, Jesus said that we should not be judging one another. We look at the outward appearance; God looks at the heart. He sees accurately and judges mercifully. He has committed judgment into Jesus' hands, not ours.— Matthew 7:1-5 ; 24:21 ; 25:31 .

Jehovah's Witnesses — Who Are They? What Do They Believe?

http://www.watchtower.org/e/jt/index.htm

• Alfred
    Alfred

Shades of Grey

This question is just another play with words... It asks if JWs believe that they alone will be saved but it doesn't ask the more relevant and specific question which is: "Do Jehovah's Witnesses believe that they alone will survive Armageddon?". By asking the question the way they did, this gives them an "out". The "out" in this case is that they can now deviate the reader's attention to people in the past (rather than who exactly will surivive Armageddon).

very clever indeed...

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit