Childbirth, A Protection For Women (Per Paul)... How?

by AGuest 212 Replies latest jw friends

• AGuest
    AGuest

I will not respond... I will not respond... I will not respond... other than to say that, as to Paul, someone is saying pretty much what I'm saying... but I will not respond... I will not respond... I will NOT respond...

A slave of Christ,

SA, leaving to take puppies for walk...

• tec
    tec

He persecuted the church, not as a Roman, but as a Jew.

I think that is Shelby's analysis as well, Band.

That the protection of pregnant women was from the Jews persecuting the church, and not romans (who would not have cared).

Peace,

Tammy

• cofty
    cofty

So are you saying that the advice was for women to say permanently pregnant in order to avoid persecution? Only a particularly stupid man could come up with that.

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

Do you think that Jews would hesitate to report Christian pregnant women to Rome? I don't remember reading any commentaries that pregnancy was protection. Also, a pregnancy only last nine months. Compared to a life span back then, 9 mos. was nothing. Today pregnant women are not executed until they deliver their baby. Children were viewed as nuisances who had little economic value. If they survived, maybe they would have worth as workers down the road. I doubt that in the first century pregnancy was treated as it is now in first world countries. If pregnancy were such protection, why not have orgies of Christians so all Christian women were impregnated. Women would need to be continuously pregnant for protection. 20 pregnancies would leave few women alive.

I don't take the Bible literally. Others do so but I am definitely not one. Understanding history, culture, and genres has made it impossible for me to believe the way I did as a young child. I don't view anything in life the way I did as a small child. A more complex view has increased my faith by leaps and bounds. It is hard to have true conversations when some people view the Bible as literal truth and others see it as inspired but shaped by human history and politcal demands.

Again, one meagre verse overtakes the overall sense of scripture. The Witnesses were masters of that strategy.

• AGuest
    AGuest

Your point... and the point of the thread... and thus mine... was obviously greatly missed... again... dear tec (again, the greatest of love and peace to you!). Happens when folks own "intelligence" gets in their way. But that's all I will say... 'cause, you know, it's only a matter of time before I'm accused of following [someone] around on the board... LOLOLOLOL!

Peace, girl!

Your servant, sister, and fellow slave of Christ,

SA, moving on from this particular thought...

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

A basic law school education should teach clear, persuasive writing. Perhaps we are guilty not being more engaged with your statements. You bear equal blame b/c you are capable of writing with flair and clarity and yet you do not do so here. If I wrote and edited my posts before I post them, they would be much more cogent and have fewer typos.

Have you thought that your ideas might be worth the extra effort? Your posts seem written to elicit a strong counter-response. Why not say my ideas are important and convinving people is a good general skill to develop. You are understable when you drop the HS facade and post in your authentic voice.

• cofty
    cofty
    Happens when folks own "intelligence" gets in their way.

Damned intelligence!!

• AGuest
    AGuest

Did someone say... oh, I thought I heard someone say something. Wait... that you, dear COFTY (peace!)?

Damned intelligence!!

Ahhh, you, too (missing points here)? Let me help you: notice the quotes, luv...

Peace!

A slave of Christ,

SA

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

Yes, damned intelligence. Why did the Creator give us intelligence? Why free will?

If I recall, the Bible and early Church founders are full of condemnations of intelligence. Much better to have a diseased mind mask your intelligence.

Why would anyone bother to have any education b/c it enforces damned intelligence. is damned intelligence an exasperation or is intelligence actually damned. The expression is illustrative of the whole problem here. Damn common reference points. Damn anyone who thinks otherwise. Only wonderful me has gnosis.

• AGuest
    AGuest

Nevermind.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit