Recent fav president poll; and who was yours?

by DanielHaase 30 Replies latest jw friends

• borgfree
    borgfree

Reagan would be my first choice now

But George W. could be number 1 someday.

"True patriotism doesn't exclude an understanding of the patriotism of others" Queen Elizabeth II
  • slipnslidemaster
    slipnslidemaster

I've heard this poll discussed and I'm frankly disgusted that Bill/Hillary Clinton would even be considered as a canidate. That just goes to show how shallow the American memory is. Sleaze doesn't even begin to describe him/her.

In addition, the only contribution to the United States in my opinion that JFK made was the space program. I'm not sure if that would be enough to get him in my top 10 or not. Otherwise, I've never been sure what the fuss over him has been other then he was asassinated or doing Marilyn Monroe.

I was talking about this with my children the other day and I wasn't sure who should be number one. George Washington or Abraham Lincoln. So I've decided to just list the top 7 in no particular order.

George Washington
    Abraham Lincoln
    Theodore Roosevelt
    Franklin Roosevelt
    Ronald Reagen
    Harry Truman
    Thomas Jefferson

I think that George H. W. Bush is a great man with amazing integrity. It's ashame that he got killed by a Democratic congress.

I think that George W. Bush has the potential to be one of the greatest presidents.

I think that Bill/Hillary Clinton should be shot for treason. Even the other Democratic president fuckup Jimmy Carter has so much more integrity and honor than the Clintons.

Slipnslidemaster: "Facts are the enemy of truth."

- Don Quixote

• ashitaka
    ashitaka

George W as one of the greatest? I don't think so. He's going to be OK, but certainly not the best. The more I read about George Washinton, the more I think he was the best. I think it's between Lincoln and Washington.

ashi

• ozziepost
    ozziepost

Interesting that George Washington should have so much admiration - wasn't he a pom?

Cheers,
    Ozzie

"If our hopes for peace are placed in the hands of imperfect people, they are bound to evaporate."

- Ron Hutchcraft Surviving the Storms of Stress

• Seeker
    Seeker
    I think that Bill/Hillary Clinton should be shot for treason.

In recent decades, as one president after another has betrayed American principles and rights, they should all be tried for treason. W. is the worst of the lot.

How anybody can think this guy is a great president is amazing to me. I realize much of this discussion is a choosing sides game, and if the guy you are talking about is on "your" side, then he's great, and if he's not on "your" side, then he stinks and is a traitor. But what on earth can anyone see in W. is a mystery to me. He's selling out the American people left and right, and people are applauding this just because he has simplistically wrapped himself in the flag and told everybody he's at war?

• teejay
    teejay

But what on earth can anyone see in W. is a mystery to me.

Seeker,

It's all about the marketing, baby. Play the National Anthem in the background, do some flag waving and talk John Wayne tough and it's a done deal -- approval ratings soar!

As the fog—inspired by the events of nine one one—begins to clear, more are beginning to refocus on W as president in areas other than his War on Terrorism, revisiting many of the very serious concerns many on both sides of the aisle felt before all hell broke loose.

If W goes down as a great president it will be because of something he does in the future since to any politically objective viewer he hasn't done much at all.

• ozziepost
    ozziepost

So old George W is a great president, is he? Interesting. Wasn't he the guy who came SECOND in the elections yet because of the sophisticated voting system managed to get the gong?

Cheers,
    Ozzie

"If our hopes for peace are placed in the hands of imperfect people, they are bound to evaporate."

• Seeker
    Seeker
    Wasn't he the guy who came SECOND in the elections yet because of the sophisticated voting system managed to get the gong?

Thanks to the Supreme Court, actually.

A couple of months ago the press in Florida announced the final findings on the vote count in Florida. It turns out that if they had just recounted those counties Gore was aking to be recounted, Bush would have still won by an even smaller margin. However, if all Florida counties had been recounted, something Gore did not ask for, Gore would have won. More people in Florida voted for Gore than for Bush.

We never got to find this out in time, of course, because the Gore team made some miscalculations in their strategies, the lawyers were gumming up the works, and then the Supreme Court ran out the clock. If the will of the people had been heard, W. would not have become president after all.

Every time in the past something similar to this has happened, that person became a one-term president.

• ozziepost
    ozziepost
    Every time in the past something similar to this has happened, that person became a one-term president.

Thank God!

Cheers,
    Ozzie

• DanielHaase
    DanielHaase

Ozzie, I hope so too!

"Brother, you better get down on your knees and pay...a thousand more fools are being born every f***ing day" -Bad Religion

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit