The Science Thread

by EntirelyPossible 65 Replies latest jw experiences

• bohm
    bohm

actually, with a bit of hand-weaving I think lonewolf could explain the magnostratigraphy. In his model i believe the seabed is formed by cooling convection currents which reach the surface of the earth near what we call tectonic plate boundaries, and these would capture polar reversion events in a symmetric manner.

It might be a problem if he advocate a much younger earth ofcourse. and as it is his model is so poorly specified it is hard to talk about counter-evidence, much less supportive evidence.

I think the right questions to ask about his model is:

• What quantitative predictions does it make?
    • How does these square off with ordinary plate tectonics and observations, ie. how accurate is the model?
  • Twitch
    Twitch

Lonewolf

I can see how your simplified model could approximate the early processes of land formation and distribution and might account for the engine that drives plate tectonics.

• EntirelyPossible
    EntirelyPossible

Twitch, there is no model. There is an idea that involves a lot of fantasy and absolutely incorrect substitutions that don't resemble the real thing he is trying to model at all.

It's not science, it's "make shit up and get pissed when the flaws are pointed out".

• snare&racket
    snare&racket

The water would freeze in space at step one.

• sizemik
    sizemik

Convection currents in the earths mantle have been identified as a likely cause of continental drift for decades. I was taught this in Earth Sciences:102 in 1976. The problem with your model is that the convection currents have a physical influence on the surface (turbulence) which destroys it's relevance to the earth's crust. Mantle based convection currents do not have a direct influence on the surface but rather simply provide lateral momentum to the lithosphere, which is expressed through the convergent and divergent boundaries of the tectonic plates.

Modern thinking on continental drift does not confine itself to a singular spreading event. It is generally accepted that a pangaea-type supercontinent was not a one-off situation and that it may have occurred at least 4 times throughout earths history.

Mantle convection as the motive power for continental drift is not a new idea however.

• LoneWolf
    LoneWolf

Hi, Guyz,

Ahhh! Thank heavens. I was afraid that I’d killed the thread, and that is something I do not wish to do. I think it has a lot of possibilities.

EP – yer first.

Actually, you did ignore the main thrust, but I’ll forgive you this time. At least you gave me some input to work with instead of ridicule and condescension. Those are like noisy static that conveys no meaning, and I have neither the time nor patience to put up with it. While I speak of this being fun, there is a serious purpose behind it.

“Water is not an approximation for the earth, particularly for things like density of water vs. magma, the layering of the mantle, things like the silica content of magma giving it different behavioral properties.” You are correct under most circumstances, but not this one. Let me explain using your peanut butter as an illustration.

The problem is as you say: “you probably can't use actual magma.” Exactly. Therefore, in creating a model, one must use something else. In using something else, though, one must approximate and match the other factors in the equation the best you can. You probably remember the lesson from Algebra that when working with an equation, it is possible to multiply or divide a factor in or out of it, BUT when you do, you have to do it to each part of the equation. Missing just one part of it will create a new equation. To illustrate, if x + y = z, then 2x + 2y = 2z. When leaving one out, such as 2x + y = 2z, it changes the equation entirely and any answers obtained from it then will be wrong.

Likewise in our model. We have three main factors: Viscosity, Pressure, and Heat. (Actually, there’s a fourth – compaction – but let’s keep it simple right now.) I think it would be safe to say that if we took that peanut butter down 500 miles into the mantle and subjected it to the same heat and pressure the magma is under, then it would flow like water too, as well as have convection currents within it.

Or, let’s turn it around. I’m not sure how to measure viscosity (any explanation would be welcome) so let’s just grab a figure and say that peanut butter is 100 times as thick as water. I believe I read something about the air pressure in the Space Station being kept at about ½ atmospheres, and I’m assuming that they keep it warm enough to be comfortable. If so, and we were trying to keep the equations comparable, then we would need to ask ourselves what peanut butter would act like under 1,500 (15 X 100) PSI and at about 7,000 (70 X 100) degrees of heat. (Okay, okay. It would catch on fire and burn up long before it got that hot. Let’s again use our “scientific license”, remove the oxygen, and say that it can’t.) Again, I think you will find that it will run like water. Please note that the other things you mention, the layering and silica content will also be affected by this same heat and pressure.

Actually then, we are going about the same thing, but coming at it from opposite directions. You wish to use something that has the same viscosity as magma, but are forgetting that its viscosity ON THE SURFACE would be different than it would be at a depth of 600 miles and a gazillion degrees of heat.

I, in turn, am trying to approximate what magma would flow like at such extremes of pressure and heat and am therefore using a liquid with a thinner viscosity.

Will it be 100% accurate? Of course not. Neither will any other way we have of trying to figure it out. However, this “model” (and it is one) does a beautiful job of illustrating the thing it is designed for: That the convection current in a global environment looks and runs in an entirely different configuration than one found in a pan on the stove. If the viscosity of the liquid is somewhat off, it is immaterial, for if a convection current is there at all, this is the way it will flow. That is the thrust of the model.

Now I will happily agree with Twitch in saying that this is a “simplified” model. Heck, it’s even a crude model. I would imagine that you should be grateful that it is, for if it was all gussied up with all the bells and whistles, it would probably be too long to post.

So, I’m sorry it violates your fastidious tastes, but look on the bright side of it. To deal with it, you’re going to have to learn how to think out of the box, and that’s good for you. It grows hair on yore chest. (Grin)

Yep. You said that EMP don’t work. And I didn’t say anywhere that they would. I said I didn’t know what would work in that scenario, so threw that out as a question and in a joking manner, ergo: the (Grin). So tell me, if I misdiagnosed this as a form of peck-sniffery on your part, what is the real reason why you are making a mountain out of a molehill?

No, look again. The model has four (4) dimensions. Yes, it has the usual x, y, and z axes. However, in nearly all fields of science, the fourth dimension is time. In fact, they’ve practically made a whole science out of the fourth dimension alone. The purpose of the model is to demonstrate the convection flow within it, and any movement whatsoever involves an amount of time. Ergo: It is a four dimensional model.

Yes, I did ask for critical feedback. However, ridicule, superciliousness, and peck-sniffery does not critical feedback make. So I’m asking you a favor: Cut it out, okay? I appreciate this thread, and I appreciate your feedback. If you see something that doesn’t make sense to you or that you don’t understand, great! If you know some factor that I’ve missed, that’s even greater! But please can the crap.

You say that “They” (scientists) “have a method that works.” My answer is that yes they do, most of the time. And even when they do, that by no means indicates that it is the only way that will work. The armed forces have a policy known as the Odd Man Out Theory where they will assign a team of experts to solve a certain problem, and deliberately include one man whose thinking processes and even their field of expertise is completely different. They know that because of that different type of thinking, he will see things that the rest won’t. I have some members of the military who are using me as an “Odd Man Out” right now, and that is what I’m referring to above when I said there is a serious purpose behind my posts.

This situation reminds me of something that happened about 50 years ago, and it illustrates well both the value of different ways of thinking and how the “official” way is not always the most effective way. I laugh about it to this day.

I had a friend named Ned who liked to play chess with me and we associated quite a bit with one another. He was as straight-laced and “by-the-book” as anyone I ever met, while I was laid back and relaxed, so we were indeed an odd couple.

The Society was having one of their Tract campaigns, which one I don’t remember, and we decided to go out in tract work that day. It was a warm day in Southern California and probably in the 80’s, so we dressed light.

Walking up the sidewalk of an apartment complex, I spied a young well-built fellow standing in the doorway of one apartment, leaning against the doorjamb, legs crossed, and watching us come closer. He had a pair of pants on, but that was all.

We drew closer, and when I felt I could say something to him without yelling, I piped up with a big cheery grin, “I’ve got some good news for you!”

“I ain’t interested.” He shot back.

I was feeling ornery, so there was no way I could let that rest. I jerked up in mock surprise. “WHAA –“ I hesitated with astonishment written all over my face. Then quieter, all concerned like, “Do you have too much of it now?”

“Yep!” You could see the corners of his mouth twitching.

“Is it runnin’ all over the floor?”

“Yep!”

And we both just cracked up. Half of it was because of the absolutely nutty conversation, and the other half because of the look of utter horror on Ned’s face.

He didn’t take the tract, and I didn’t care. We had a pleasant experience and I left him in a good mood, and that was all that I asked.

So Ned – er – I mean EntirelyPossible – relax. I’ll flat out guarantee that I will be doing things and using methods that you’ve never heard of before and that will outrage your sense of propriety. On the other hand, please keep in mind that I have a history of doing and succeeding at things that everyone else thought was impossible. Some of those are hilarious too.

As for the rest of you, please forgive me. It’s 3:30 a.m., and I’m spending more time sleeping on the keys than I am typing. I’ll get to you after I engage in some unconsciousness.

LoneWolf

• EntirelyPossible
    EntirelyPossible

Actually, you did ignore the main thrust, but I’ll forgive you this time.

No. I didn't. But that's because you don't know what my main objective was. I really don't care if you forgive me as you have no power or authority over me in any way.

It was to examine your idea. We did that. You not understanding how critical feedback work is in no way relavent to whether or not you think I get your point.

You probably remember the lesson from Algebra that when working with an equation, it is possible to multiply or divide a factor in or out of it, BUT when you do, you have to do it to each part of the equation.

This is not an algebra problem.

I think it would be safe to say that if we took that peanut butter down 500 miles into the mantle and subjected it to the same heat and pressure the magma is under, then it would flow like water too, as well as have convection currents within it.

Oh, sorry, I am not willing at accept that on faith. I need to see the results of your experiment.

I’m not sure how to measure viscosity (any explanation would be welcome)

Yeah, sorry, if you haven't learned how to measure what you are calling one of the three main factors (no, four, there are four main factors!) when that informatio is easily available on the Googles, I really can't trust that you know enough about it to formulate a working hypothesis.

Please note that the other things you mention, the layering and silica content will also be affected by this same heat and pressure.

Peanut butter at room temperature is an approximation for silica rich lava at temperatures in the thousands of degrees. I am not sure why you are complicating this by heating the substance and removing oxygen. It changes the behavior of the peanut butter such that it no longer in any way approximates the material you are trying to model.

I suggest you read up on silica content in the mantle, the different types of magma, etc. They are not uniformly distributed.

Actually then, we are going about the same thing, but coming at it from opposite directions.

No, we aren't. You are going about with no idea of what you are doing in a random directly with your eyes closed.

However, this “model” (and it is one) does a beautiful job of illustrating the thing it is designed for: That the convection current in a global environment looks and runs in an entirely different configuration than one found in a pan on the stove.

You don't have a model since you can't make it work. Not even mathematically since you don't know how to measure viscosity.

I would imagine that you should be grateful that it is, for if it was all gussied up with all the bells and whistles, it would probably be too long to post.

I am grateful you aren't a doctor. "Maam, I ain't all edjicated about them bacterium, but take this here ketchup. It's a darn tootin' approximation for penicillin, should help yer young un'. Added some hot sauce to help kill the critters."

Yep. You said that EMP don’t work. And I didn’t say anywhere that they would.

Then you probably shouldn't hve included it as part of your idea.

So tell me, if I misdiagnosed this as a form of peck-sniffery on your part, what is the real reason why you are making a mountain out of a molehill?

I am not making a mountain out of a molehill. You wanted to post your idea and get feedback. You did. It's not my fault you decided to include an EMP. It's a shame you don't like the feedback. It's a shame you don't know how to measure a key component of your own idea. Perhaps you should think these things through before asking for feedback.

No, look again. The model has four (4) dimensions. Yes, it has the usual x, y, and z axes. However, in nearly all fields of science, the fourth dimension is time

Time is a dimension in all sciences. It's a pretty usual one too. Been around and working as long as the spacial dimensions and appears to be a property of space itself. Again, since time is a given, it's not ever called out as an "extra" dimension when working with physical models. I realize that this is just a result of you not knowing how to formulate or write a hypothesis. Learn how to do that, give it another go. Learning is always a noble goal.

I have some members of the military who are using me as an “Odd Man Out” right now, and that is what I’m referring to above when I said there is a serious purpose behind my posts.

Who are these people? what are they studying? what methods are they using? why did they pick you? what is your field of expertise?

I had a friend named Ned who liked to play chess with me and we associated quite a bit with one another. He was as straight-laced and “by-the-book” as anyone I ever met, while I was laid back and relaxed, so we were indeed an odd couple.

Awww, look, you asked me to cut the crap and then decided to attempt to deride me by calling me straight laced and by the book. Faulty assumption, you don't know anything about me.You presume to to know what methods I have heard of before. My my, aren't you just full of assumptions about things you couldn't possibly know about.

On the other hand, please keep in mind that I have a history of doing and succeeding at things that everyone else thought was impossible.

Such as? Name some. I would love to hear about the history of impossible things you astounded the world with.

• sabastious
    sabastious

Hello Lonewolf how are you? Are you hypothesizing that the Pangea Theory is less than reliable?

-Sab

• LoneWolf
    LoneWolf

Hi, Folks,

Ocmbr -- The model as given isn’t complicated enough to include a metal core. That would take a more sophisticated one. Its prime purpose is to demonstrate that the convection currents in such a scenario would be entirely different than the standard convection currents that we are familiar with, such as those in a pan on the stove.

Furthermore, when one compares these convection currents with those that are apparently contained within the earth’s mantle, there is an amazing similarity, at least enough to warrant further investigation. I’m under the same impression that sizemik voices a little further down the thread, “Convection currents in the earth’s mantle have been identified as a likely cause of continental drift for decades. I was taught this in Earth Sciences:102 in 1976.” I might add to his words there that it is thought that the sun also contains similar convection currents.

There are many factors involved in the earth’s makeup, and if convection currents are one of them, then it is only reasonable that examining their characteristics will tend to throw light on some of the lesser phenomena that could be caused or at least influenced by these convection currents, such as continental drift, earthquakes, and many more.

Over the years I have found that trying for an overall view of things helps tremendously in coming to an understanding of the smaller elements within, so I make an effort to do so. It has proven to be invaluable, because the big picture tends to act much like a road map, and one isn’t left to feeling his way like the proverbial blind man examining an elephant.

“Pangea evidence rests upon several different pieces of evidence - the ability to fit land masses together is actually one of the weaker ones (considering deposition and erosion.)” Agreed. Please note my words to cofty below.

cofty“The sequence of magnetic rocks alternating north and south polarity in a mirror image formation either side of the rift is also compelling evidence.” Actually, I understand this factor is the source that inspired the continental drift theory, or at least that portion of it that includes Pangea, etc. I was also under the impression that in addition to the magnetic polarity, the same mirror image was found in the chemical makeup of the strata on each side of the rift. Am I mistaken in this?

bohm“In his model i believe the seabed is formed by cooling convection currents which reach the surface of the earth near what we call tectonic plate boundaries. . .” This is my impression too. I took it a step further by including the subduction zones near the continental edges. With land being formed at the rifts, then being “recycled” by sinking into the mantel and becoming magma once again in the subduction zones, it has all of the earmarks of a convection current, albeit a complicated one. That’s why I included the wax factor in the model. It wouldn’t sink into the subduction zones, but would accumulate in “islands” of solid material and stay on top, and those “islands” would be as far away from the rifts as possible.

“It might be a problem if he advocate a much younger earth of course.” Please note that I’m not implying anything at all, one way or another, about the age of the earth in this model.

“I think the right questions to ask about his model is:

• What quantitative predictions does it make?
    • How does these square off with ordinary plate tectonics and observations, ie. how accurate is the model?”

Exactly. Any suggestions on how to do this?

Twitch – At this early stage of the game, that’s all I’m trying to do.

snare&racket – LOL! That’s why I stuck it in the Space Station. It’s warm in there.

You know, that brings up a question. As you probably know, water boils at 212 degrees at sea level, but the higher altitude one gets, the lower the temperature it takes to boil. One would think that in space, water would quickly boil away. Yet, judging from sightings from the space station of jettisoned water that became ice, that apparently isn’t the case. Anyone have an idea of how that works?

You see, I’m not like some people I know. I don’t feel that I know everything, and it doesn’t bother my pride at all to ask questions about those things I don’t know.

sizemik“The problem with your model is that the convection currents have a physical influence on the surface (turbulence) which destroys its relevance to the earth's crust.” I am unsure of your usage of the word “turbulence” in this context. Could you enlarge on this?

Let me suggest this, although I’m not sure if it is relative to your observation: Go back to the model again. This time, though, instead of adding a few bricks of wax, leave the ball alone and drop the surrounding temperature to below freezing instead. The water inside the globe will remain liquid thanks to the heater, but a skim of ice should form on the outside and will drift with the convection currents to those areas that are cooler, and will then form “islands” or masses of ice that will gradually reinforce themselves by freezing together. Meanwhile, the skim of ice is still forming on those areas away from the masses of ice, and is drifting towards them. When it arrives, it will be swept under them and will then either melt and rejoin the interior, or it will attach itself to the mass and reinforce it.

In this scenario, everything on the surface is influenced by the convection current. The skim is being carried along on its surface until it reaches the ice masses, and the ice masses themselves are kept centered over the cooler areas and are not allowed to drift.

I think it is this “centering” action of the convection currents on the solid masses that is one of the strongest things that call into question the concept of Pangean theory. For the continents to drift, at least to the extent hypothesized in that theory, would take a complete reconstruction of the earth’s interior plumbing.

I have had the opportunity to study how moving water freezes (I lived in Alaska for years) and it is fascinating. It can form some of the most beautiful formations with the glaciating of one layer of ice over another!

“ It is generally accepted that a pangaea-type supercontinent was not a one-off situation and that it may have occurred at least 4 times throughout earths history.” That is indeed interesting! Do you know what evidence this is based on?

sabastious – Hi, Sab! I’m just as mean and ornery as always! (Grin) You too, I hope!

Yup! That’s exactly where I’m coming from! I think what most people miss, though, is that they think I’m either arguing for the religious viewpoint or for the science viewpoint. I’m not, and I don’t recognize this as an either/or situation. Rather, I think BOTH of them are in dire need of a good enema. Here are a few reasons why:

1. Both sides are made up of imperfect “hoomin’ beans” who tend to let pride and arrogance dictate their lives and thought.

2. Both will grab some tiny morsel of truth, jump up in mid-air and build an entire castle of theory around it, then throw tantrums should anyone be so foolish to question its foundation.

3. Both demonstrate a deep contempt for the common man’s intelligence, the religious by reason of their “holiness”, and the scientific by reason of their “education”, whatever that is.

4. Both demand that people accept anything they have to say, for the same reasons.

5. Both claim to be the saviors of all mankind.

Need I continue?

Of course, holding an opinion like mine has incurred the wrath of nearly every kind of “authority” there is, and I’ve been called “rebellious”, “uneducated”, “brainless”, “reckless”. “country-hick”, and those are only a few of the nicer ones. The truth is an entirely different thing, though.

There have been many times in my life when everyone around me was full of crap, life was on the line, and to simply survive meant that I had to take the bull by the horns and make my own decisions. I did, I’m still alive, so is everyone else that depended on me, and that speaks for itself.

If you like an example of one of those situations, go here:

http://www.howlinmad.net. Check under the link EASIN’ ON – The Confessions of an American Outlaw. That is a book I wrote about what it’s like to be a long-haul trucker, which I was for more than 10 years and a million miles plus. I posted the first six chapters online, and chapters 2 and 3 should give you a good idea of what I am speaking about.

Keep yer chin up, me frien’! But not yer nose. (Grin)

LoneWolf

• 00DAD
    00DAD

Bookmarking

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit