Chemicals buried at WT Farms (WT ruining the earth)

by doinmypart 79 Replies latest jw friends

• donuthole
    donuthole

It even looks like a drum of ink spilling out. LOL

• AndersonsInfo
    AndersonsInfo

Hopefully, this story is going to have legs because it is an Associated Press article. Note that this link,

http://www.therepublic.com/view/story/8e675d204fbf4352ab2cf65086b4b411/NY--Buried-Chemicals/ , is to a Columbus, Indiana newspaper, The Republic, not just to a local Upstate, NY newspaper article.

FYI, I was told some years back by a knowledgeable person, a former JW, that barrels containing inks and other waste by-products from WT printing operations in Brooklyn were taken in Society trucks to WT owned property in Wallkill for disposal by burying this hazardous waste in unpermitted dump cells. Some of these old barrels were unearthed and damaged during construction activities which produced a lot of contaminated soil as a result. Instead of disposing of the contaminated soil it was spread on a field so as to reduce the amount of contamination reported to the authorities (a couple of barrels instead of a couple of dump trucks).

This waste disposal went on for an unspecified period in Watchtower's past. Many areas where these old (antiquated) barrels are buried are now broken due to decay and the spilled contents have been contaminating the soil and streams. There are old dump sites, I was told, all over the WT's Wallkill property. I believe the present investigation is due to whistle-blowing by this man.

Oh, by the way, this property (WT Farms) is in a major watershed area, Hudson Valley Watershed, where millions of people get their drinking, etc., water from.

On a related note, for as many years as they could get away with it, Watchtower had been “cooking” or making the material that the printing ink was diluted with. It’s some sort of a compound like varnish or shellac and it was illegal for years to make this as it is a major air polluter. At Brooklyn it was processed in the Ink Room and the cooker was given a phony name called “Ink Vehicle Processor” or something like that, to fool inspectors. It was thought that this material also was dumped at WT Farms in the past because they couldn’t make it legally, so they had to get rid of the waste illegally.

It is doubtful that WT is still doing this now, but definitely they did it in the 60s through late 70s when my informant was at Bethel. He left Bethel in 1978 but had no reason, he said, to believe that they stopped this procedure in the 80s.

The Ink Department overseer for many, many years was none other than Lyman Swingle, a director of the WTBTS of PA who we all know became one of the Governing Body when that "Body" came into existence in the early 1970s.

Without a doubt, Max Larson, WT factory overseer, and Swingle, GB member, took many foul, harmful, secret facts of illegal activities with them to their graves!

Barbara

• somebody
    somebody

It's not the first time the Watchtower Society has polluted the earth. They've been fined years ago too.

http://community.beliefnet.com/go/thread/view/43851/13216029/

Someone actually posted pictures here years ago of the shale mine and it was thick disgusting black sludge.

• wha happened?
    wha happened?

it seems like everything sold to new ones is unraveling. I remember vividly the study articles when I was studying with these guys in the late 80's. The fact that man was ruining the earth with no apparent end game plan was just another notch on the belt of the idea that Jehovah will need to step in and clean up the earth. Wow what a run on sentance!

This is really newsworthy because it does not touch on doctrine or beleif of any type? It's not like they can claim that dangerous chemical dumping is a necessary part of their worship that is protected. It just looks like an organization that supposedly teaches mankinds sin of ruining the earth was really a model for them to follow. And I'd love to see the GB's arrogance get hit by a huge amount of protesters.

• Mickey mouse
  • pontoon
    pontoon

Maybe this has something to do with the farm not being much of a farm anymore. Most of their produce is now purchased. Also, I always thought about the millions of dollars their 1000+ acres are worth. Tough sell though if test holes turn up illegal dumping.

• james_woods
    james_woods

Ladies and Gentlemen - I think Barbara Anderson said it right on the other thread.

This has legs. It could prove to be far more damaging than the Steven Unthank lawsuit or anything else.

It may not be as great a moral crime as covering up child molestation - but it is something the Federal Government can and will get their teeth into.

We shall see how this develops.

The incredible thing was - with all their money, they could have paid to dispose of this stuff legally. This was not any embarrassment until they made it one themselves.

• wannabefree
    wannabefree

Well, what do you expect? The rank & file put off dental work, health care, repaying debt, planning for retirement, etc. because they thought the end would come decades ago ... I suppose the Organization never thought they would have to face the consequences of dumping chemicals in this "system of things".

• trueblue
    trueblue

Remembered something it may not sound like much but my dad said he used to smoke and a public talk or a publication come out about smoking and it said something about people smoking and throwing out a cigarette but is ruining God's creation so he quit smoking right then.

Just thinking of the scripture, faithful in least also faithful in much and unfaithful in least also unfaithjul in much.

• DaCheech
    DaCheech

I agree 100% with undercover!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit