Who invented the seven -day week??

by jam 21 Replies latest jw friends

• snare&racket
  • Jeffro
    Jeffro
    So where did I go wrong matey?

Your point about the variation in Earth's orbit is not contested.

Where you went wrong is you have taken a source comment that certain Internet applications rely on atomic clocks, and stretched that into a dogmatic (and entirely false) statement that 'the Internet requires atomic clocks'. Similar errors exist in your abstraction of your other points about atomic clocks.

A computer can have the time updated from a time server on the Internet, but it is not required that the time server use an atomic clock, nor is there any requirement for the computer to connect to a time server at all.

• snare&racket
    snare&racket

No... You don't understand, your using my answer which uses the term 'applications' and along with your ignorance decided this is it's only function. Servers run off atomic clocks. Today's Internet could not work without synchronised time I.e. atomic clocks.

Despite your untruths, gps and today's satellites depend on atomic clocks, this also impacts on the Internet as well as the obvious such as cell phones. To repeat ..... No atomic clock.... No gps.

I love how you have changed your stance from, 'your talking devil lies' to 'your technically correct, but one could argue if one was being annoying that these items cold exist but just not work as well if....' but even this stance is incorrect.

The earth is crap at keeping time. We are awesome. Try setting your pc to time settings based on the sun and see how you get on.

Bye x

P.s. for anyone unsure, just go read up on this and decide for yourself, as to the original post, we do not live in a 'hand crafted like watch' galaxy, with perfectly working luminaries shining down accurate time. It's all balls n gas... Kinda like some people down here.

• snare&racket
    snare&racket

No... You don't understand, your using my answer which uses the term 'applications' and along with your ignorance decided this is it's only function. Servers run off atomic clocks. Today's Internet could not work without synchronised time I.e. atomic clocks.

Despite your untruths, gps and today's satellites depend on atomic clocks, this also impacts on the Internet as well as the obvious such as cell phones. To repeat ..... No atomic clock.... No gps.

I love how you have changed your stance from, 'your talking devil lies' to 'your technically correct, but one could argue if one was being annoying that these items cold exist but just not work as well if....' but even this stance is incorrect.

The earth is crap at keeping time. We are awesome. Try setting your pc to time settings based on the sun and see how you get on.

Bye x

P.s. for anyone unsure, just go read up on this and decide for yourself, as to the original post, we do not live in a 'hand crafted like watch' galaxy, with perfectly working luminaries shining down accurate time. It's all balls n gas... Kinda like some people down here.

• ziddina
    ziddina

The seven-day week is based on ancient goddess worship - moon goddess worship...

The 28-day cycle is based on the feminine menstrual cycle. In ancient times, a fancied connection between womens' 28-day cycle and the 29.5-day cycle of the moon were believed to be directly connected...

Here is a website that discusses the possibility that womens' menstrual cycles are affected by the moon's cycles - I haven't checked the sources, however, as it's getting late and I'm pressed for time - as usual....

http://www.athenainstitute.com/sciencelinks/lunarandmenst.html

But it definitely has to do with goddess worship - and points to the earlier deities of the Israelites as likely being goddesses, instead of gods, since the Egyptians, for comparison, functioned on an ELEVEN-DAY workweek [probably during their great building projects - again, needs further research]...

Zid

• Jeffro
    Jeffro

Atomic clocks are helpful, but the Internet doesn't 'require' them. It is you who is demonstrating your ignorance, and it is a fallacy of hasty generalisation to assert that 'servers run off atomic clocks'. Stop before you embarrass yourself.

I haven't changed my 'stance' at all, and your comment about "devil lies" is bizarre. Your comments were and are technically inaccurate.

we do not live in a 'hand crafted like watch' galaxy, with perfectly working luminaries shining down accurate time

This statement, however, is quite correct.

• jam
    jam

Thanks folks for the insight. I ask the question because

I was thinking (silly me), Adam and Eve have A tough day

and over sleep or forget what day it is. So they rest on the

six day, hell I forget what day it is and I have A calendar.

Adam and Eve had no idea what day it was, workday or rest

day. They only knew nite and day and if it rain or cloudy for

A few days that would be confusing. So resting on the Sabbath

I don,t think so...

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

I watched a recent program on PBS about the Old Testament. The Bible is emphatic that Israel had only one deity. Yet excavations in Israel on household objects from many thousands of years ago reveal a YHWH gold and his wife, the fertility goddess. There are thousands of these female gods. It was quite something to see the objects rather than just read about them.

I read a book and met the author of a book about female religions. It opened my eyes. I imagine the info is dated now.

It seems to me there is a link between menstruation and the lunar cycle. Our bodies are composed of so much water. I once overheard two detectives in Greenwich Village discuss how the gruesome, horrifying ax murder. machete, cannibal cases only seem to happen when the moon is full.

• rebel8
    rebel8

I don't know if there is a clear answer about who invented the week. My guess is it was just the easiest way to divide the month, which does approximate the lunar cycle--a way for ancients to keep time.

A study in the 1970s claimed there was a greater-than-random correlation between lunar and menstrual cycles. It never proved causation, but just said maybe the moon caused the periods. Other equally/more plausible causes, such as melatonin, etc. are not popular beliefs for no apparent (logical) reason.

http://www.straightdope.com/columns/read/1348/whats-the-link-between-the-moon-and-menstruation

http://www.guardian.co.uk/society/2005/aug/25/health.lifeandhealth

Correlations between moon cycles and human behavior/crime have been disproven but persist in folkloric beliefs.

When I worked in a hospital a supervisor who worked for me claimed she needed more staff in the ER for the full moon. Even after I showed her lots of data, she was unconvinced that the ER would not be more busy/crazy than a night without a full moon. Her reason for retaining the belief was because "everyone knows it's true, the EMTs and cops know...".

http://www.skepdic.com/fullmoon.html

• ziddina
    ziddina

Hah! Rebel8, what I've noticed - and I think that a few studies bear this out - the WORST time for crime during the month is actually during the NEW moon...

And there's a logical reason for that - the night is darkest when the moon is 'dark' or 'new' - the lack of light improves criminals' chances...

At least, in areas that aren't well-lit...

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit