I remerber reading somewhere, our week of seven days

has no astronomical basis. It does not divide exactly into

A month or A year or any others time measurement. Yet

it works amazingly well.

The ancient Romans tried an eight-day week. Russia and

France tried to abolish the seven day week. Sin Lanka also

tried to abolish the seven day week in the 1960 also, but

all brought it back.

Is this A testment that there is A GOD???

• botchtowersociety
    botchtowersociety
    I remerber reading somewhere, our week of seven days
    has no astronomical basis.

The early calendars were lunar calendars. That is where we get the word "month"--from "moon."

The moon's orbit is slightly over 27 days-- or, IIRC, a little over 29 days from an Earth-bound observer's point of view (the earth's rotation changes the perceived period of time for the moon to complete an orbit). 29 is a prime number; it is not easily divisible into even portions of whole days. So the closest thing was 28 days, which approximates an orbit. 28 is divisible by 1, 2, 4, 7, 14, and 28. A week is very near the time it takes the moon to complete a quarter of its orbit. This means that weeks align closely with lunar phases. It is also a quarter of the period of a menstrual cycle.

Is this A testment that there is A GOD???

No, it is a testament that time keeping traditions don't go away easily, even when decreed by governments.

• transhuman68
    transhuman68

The Israelites were already observing the Sabbath when Genesis was written. Portraying God as having created the world in seven days was a way of reinforcing their belief that they were God’s chosen nation. Needless to say, the world was not created in seven days…

• snare&racket
    snare&racket

Hey jam,

We no longer use the earth as a time piece as it is not accurate. We now use atomic clocks, without which the Internet, cell phones, satellites, gps and TiVo could not exist. Leap years, daylight saving etc etc is all due to us humans trying to make our orbit suit our lifestyles, hardly ideal. As for 7 day weeks and use of lunar months, we have the Babylonians to thank. ( those pagans really thought of everything!)

The earths rotation around the sun has been slowing, we know this from such evidences as million of years old coral in Australia. It's gradually slowing down, I believe in part due to the tidal pull of the moon, and is only currently 7 days (ish.... Very ish)

• jam
    jam

Thanks folks, sometimes I think of some of the craziest things.

This from the old Farmer,s Almanac.

The seven day week started with the first civilization of

the middle east. Mesopotaman astrologers designated one

day for each of the seven most prominent odjects in the

sky-Sun, moon and the five major planets visible to the

naked eye.

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

Who invented the 8 hour working day ? I can just about manage it, but it is WAY too long , if like me you are bored at work.

• charlie brown jr.
    charlie brown jr.

Cause 7 days is enough for ANY WEEK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Imagine livivng thru an 8 day week????

FUCK DAT!!!!! LOL

opps I thought I was on a 4 second Delay!!! Sorry the F*** Word slipped.......

see the Censors are on their game NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!

Live from Internet!!!!!!!!!

IT'S SATURDAY NIGHT LIVE!!!!!!!!!!!

• JamesWHudson
  • Jeffro
    Jeffro

snare&racket:

We now use atomic clocks, without which the Internet, cell phones, satellites, gps and TiVo could not exist.

Well, no, that's just wrong. Atomic clocks allow for greater accuracy, but atomic clocks are not essential for the operation of any of the things you've listed (though they are quite important for satellites and GPS).

The earths rotation around the sun has been slowing, we know this from such evidences as million of years old coral in Australia. It's gradually slowing down, I believe in part due to the tidal pull of the moon, and is only currently 7 days (ish.... Very ish)

No. The earth's rotation takes about 24 hours (actually slightly less). The earth's rotation around the sun (aka its orbit) takes about a year. The earth going around the sun in 7 days would indicate a significant increase in speed.

• snare&racket
    snare&racket

I totally meant to say '365 days ish'. Totally fluffed the line, we can measure year length in the coral I mentioned, obviously not week length, just to prove I had a brain fart mid fact. I was making the point that we can't use earths orbit as a timepiece as it is not a constant. We know it is slowing.

I hate using wiki, but I have as much interest in defending my obvious facts (simple google search) as I do in saving unicorns, so...

The development of atomic clocks has led to many scientific and technological advances such as a worldwide system of precise position measurement (Global Positioning System), and applications in the Internet, which depend critically on frequency and time standards.

As for everything I mentioned running off atomic clocks, I'm repeating a journal I read. The Internet is used to manage the stock market therefore the time has to be as accurate as possible for all markets, your Microsoft windows/mac clock is set via an atomic clock if it's hooked to the net. The Internet uses atomic clocks. Gps would not work without atomic clocks due to the need for accurate triangulation, the time is used to measure distance and speed. Cell phones require satellites all of which are now kept in orbit via atomic clocks, used for positioning and orbit alterations. TiVo was of course a joke (if you were intending to reply with the fact it wasn't funny....go shoot yourself) however, TiVo receives its time input from the Internet, which has its time dictated via atomic clocks.

So where did I go wrong matey? Or are you just one of those guys?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit