circumcision...sheesh!

by stillin 20 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• stillin
    stillin

I was at the congregation bible study recently (aka "book study") which has been expounding in depth regarding the 1st century's unbelievable resemblance, in organizational terms, to our modern-day governing body and how big decisions are made now. Surprise! It's EXACTLY like it is supposed to be, according to the BIBLE!

I made the comment that the new religion would have died where it stood had the governing body insisted that circumcision been mandatory. I said "imagine yourself, you are considering changing your religion but the first thing you have to do is allow church leaders to work on you with a knife." One or two snickers, then silence...

But, really, if there were full disclosure, modern-day, at the onset for newly associated ones, most would run for the door!

Fusion religion is not only used by Christendom when you look at the facts.

Is that a chip on my shoulder or is it a knife in my back?

• wha happened?
    wha happened?

have u ever heard of Judism?

• Morbidzbaby
    Morbidzbaby

Jewish converts who are male must be circumcised if they are not. As with the JW's, the majority of the Jewish religious population is born-in, not converted. A very small number converts to Judaism yearly and when it's done on an adult male, there is a local anesthetic. Interestingly, when a circumcised male is converted, they still require a drop of blood from the end of his penis. I can't understand why anyone would want to convert to a religion that requires such a "sacrifice", but whatever.

I hate the idea, myself... Religious reasons or not, I think it's a barbaric and out-dated practice. Majority of the world is NOT circumcised and all it's supposed "benefits" have been debunked and relegated to the "Myths" category. Sure, there are some men or boys for whom it becomes a medical necessity, but these cases are few and far between. Doctors in the US will no longer provide a routine circumcision unless it's paid for in full up-front by the parents because it's no longer covered by insurance unless medical necessity is proven. Otherwise, they consider it simply cosmetic (as it is!).

When I chose to leave my sons intact, my OBGYN (female) asked why...when I told her it was unnecessary, painful, and simply cosmetic, she shook my hand and thanked me for being one of the few who actually researched instead of saying "Well, his father has the penis, let him decide" or "it's just what's done...". I actually convinced my ex AGAINST circumcision, even though he himself was circumcised and was totally for it. For the record, I was totally for it before I researched it. I didn't want my sons (if I had any) having the "elephant trunk" or the "worm with a turtleneck" look. But upon further research, it was decided that it was just better for them all around to remain as they were born.

• PaintedToeNail
    PaintedToeNail

Morbidzbaby-I too researched circumsion, and we chose NOT to do it for the same reasons. That was just fine with our hospital, because they were embroiled in a law suit where the pediatrician had lopped off too much of the poor baby's penis, and of course his parents sued.

I could never figure out how the Jewish Christians knew the other Christians were not circumcised. Did they greet each other with 'Hello, can I please see your penis, before I get to know you further?' Did they have competitive pee-ing, where all the guys lined up to see who pee farthest and sneak looks at the neighboring contestants?

• Yan Bibiyan
    Yan Bibiyan

PaintedToeNail,

In your last sentence, I get the feeeling we are reading about the premise of a new reality show

• skeeter1
    skeeter1

Jehovah is a perfect God who made a penis with a foreskin. Then, Jehovah changed his mind?

I say Jehovah is a fickle old god.

For millions of years, man has evolved with a foreskin. The foreskin stays in tact, I say.

Skeeter

• moshe
    moshe

"The predicted lifetime risk of penile cancer for an uncircumcised man has been estimated as 1 in 600 in the USA and 1 in 900 in Denmark [Kochen & McCurdy, 1980]. Penile cancer accounts for less than 1% of all malignancies in men in the USA and 0.1% of cancer deaths, the 5-year survival rate being approx. 50% [American, 2005a]. Mortality rate is 25-33%---In Israel, where almost all males are circumcised, the rate of penile cancer is extremely low: 0.1 per 100,000, i.e., is 1/10th that of Denmark"

I am glad this is one cancer my son and I won't have to worry about. Those odds don't look very good to me. Insurance companies are focusing on short term profits, as they don't expect to be the insurance company who has to pay the penile cancer claims 30-50 years later.

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

I'm happy for you and your son's penis. One less worry, death by penis.

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

I'm guessing few convert to Judaism. Unless a guy really wants to marry some Jewish gal.

• ballistic
    ballistic

There is a story about a Jewish Circumsiser who missed and got the sack.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit