why can't we get shows like star trek anymore?

by cptkirk 62 Replies latest jw friends

• cptkirk
    cptkirk

seems like the original star trek was almost universally enjoyed. from the kooky music theme 'space.....ahhhhh ahhhh ahhh ahhhhhhhh ahhh', the upbeat message, the deep subject matter...the chemistry of the characters. you remember being much younger almost felt like not a care in the world? maybe 11pm watching star trek then going to sleep feeling good, like you just saw something great. what happened to that time? and even the circumstances for a show like that to be created? i liked the show farscape a lot..had similarities but was much darker....i tend to think we as a society just lost trust in each other, pretty much across the board. nobody trusts anyone anymore, i think part of the character development is that they deeply trusted each other...and that is part of the reason we don't see shows like that, because it wouldn't even seem realistic....

here's a real deep question for you: do you think society will ever get to a really strong point again, without having trust in each other anymore?

is there a different societal profile which can reach the heights of the past? without even really needing to trust each other anyway? (using some other means of checks and balances...but does that detract from the possibilities intrinsically?)

• Aussie Oz
    Aussie Oz

I found moving to the country and being part of a tiny community has a whole different vibe to the city.

As for shows like star treck, i believe we dont get them anymore because the enterprise has gone to far out into space and there is no way for the TV signals to get back to earth without massive distortion...

Oz

• cedars
    cedars

I think television and the quality of acting has generally improved since the 60s, but this alone doesn't make science fiction shows a success. What made the original Star Trek such a huge success was the vision and originality of Gene Roddenberry. JJ Abrams seems to share some of that genius, which is why he did such great work on the latest movie. However, finding someone of that calibre who will commit to working on the small screen is another matter, unless JJ could turn his attention from shows like "Fringe" to a rebirth of the series?

I find most new series that touch on Science Fiction to be truly awful, with the possible exception of the reincarnation of Battlestar Galactica, and maybe Stargate Universe. I watched Terra Nova for the first time the other week, and it almost made me puke. The general premise of the series seems to be "we have dinosaurs, we have guns, what can go wrong?" You need much more than those things to make a show a success - you need creativity and originality. Something that good old Gene had in abundance.

Live long and prosper.

Cedars

• finallysomepride
    finallysomepride

take up reading the books

many many more good trek stories available, I'm currently reading the Star Trek Titan series

• Wasanelder Once
    Wasanelder Once

I liked Eureka a good deal. Warehouse 13 is fun. Honestly, you have to remember that Star Trek was a flop when it came out. It was in reruns that it built an audience. It coinsided with the space program in the U.S. and that had a lot to do with it as well. There was a unity of thought about space being the "final fronteir" at the time. Space hasn't panned out as well as we'd hoped. Now its all impending doom or nothing. That's why I like Eureka. It was hopeful and yet a little techie. (tekkie). Heroes had its day as well. We seem to be looking for something from within rather than from outerspace.

• wha happened?
    wha happened?

Don't we have enough for the ultra nerds to mimick and follow? Star Trek, Star Wars, Harry Potter, Lord of the rings. Just how many pet lizard and/or tarantuala owners are really out there?

• cantleave
    cantleave

I think there are shows that are just as good today. With time and the nostalgia element they too will become "cult classics" that "everybody" loves - in retrospect!

• mamamo
    mamamo

If you haven't seen it check out "Firefly" available on Netflix and showing on the Science channel. Only 14 shows and a 2 hour tie everything up movie, but it was really good.

I agree with Eureka and Warehouse 13, but wish warehouse would get back to more stuff seems like it could be real artifacts with special absorbed powers. Lately all these bad guys wreaking havoc storylines are getting on my nerves. Anthony Michael Hall makes a great bad guy, though.

• No Apologies
    No Apologies

JJ Abrams is a completely overrated hack. Lost dragged people along for 6 seasons with the promise of an ending that would resolve all the plot contortion, only to wind up saying, no we have no answers, what made you think there would be answers? His version of Star Trek was dreadfully bad, like a six year old who heard of Star Trek and tried describing it to his friend, who then tried to make a movie out of it. Yes the characters had the right names, yes they were on a spaceship called the Enterprise, their uniforms kinda looked like the original series, that's about it. The rest of it had no connection at all to what made Star Trek great. Now it's going to be four years before the next one is released. Four years! And so far the best idea they can come up with is Khan?? That's original!

No Apologies

• sabastious
    sabastious
    JJ Abrams is a completely overrated hack. Lost dragged people along for 6 seasons with the promise of an ending that would resolve all the plot contortion, only to wind up saying, no we have no answers, what made you think there would be answers? His version of Star Trek was dreadfully bad, like a six year old who heard of Star Trek and tried describing it to his friend, who then tried to make a movie out of it. Yes the characters had the right names, yes they were on a spaceship called the Enterprise, their uniforms kinda looked like the original series, that's about it. The rest of it had no connection at all to what made Star Trek great. Now it's going to be four years before the next one is released. Four years! And so far the best idea they can come up with is Khan?? That's original!

Lost and JJ Abrams are awesome. You are entitled to your opinion, but wooeee, are you VERY very wrong.

Lost is like Steinbeck because Steinbeck is a huge influence for the writers of Lost. Like John Steinbeck, you either love his stuff or your hate it for reasons well thought out. But, if you try to convince others it is not a masterpiece of art then you are not worth having a conversation about literary art with. ABC did as much raping to the show that they could, and made LESS money in the process, but the brilliance still shinned though. Hate ABC, not JJ Abrams!

-Sab

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit