Did Charles Russell know that certain christmas traditions were pagan?

by garyneal 21 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Terry
    Terry

An important fact escapes the obsessive compulsive collective "mind" of Jehovah's Witnesses: A thing is not what it was, but, what it now IS.

The word GESTALT means that the whole is GREATER than the sum of its parts.

Christmas has become a time when humanity strives to create beauty, brotherhood, generosity and family memories that last a lifetime.

What it was at any point in ancient history is really meaningless unless you are an archeologist, Paleontolgist or an Asberger's syndrome sufferer!

• breakfast of champions
    breakfast of champions

Isn't it amazing how Jehovah has refined his earthly organization? I am so thankful for that!

• garyneal
    garyneal

Thanks for the feedback.

James Woods: Yes, the cross, pyramid, christmas tree, etc.. It appear Jesus did not care about that during the selection in 1919.

PSac: Evidently, Chuck must have understood something that witnesses today don't.

clarity: Meaning he knew and was reluctant to celebrate but did not discourage it?

bob1999: Yeah, lots of false teachings during that selection, but they were ok.

blondie: Thanks for the video, I actually came across it in my search earlier. Very informative.

Terry: Yeah, that is the one fact that escapes a witness today. The Watchtower as you know allows for other items with their 'pagan' origins and picks and chooses what it allows today but does not allow the individual witness the same freedom of conscious. If the WT was to come out with 'new light' and allow for the celebration of Christmas again, witnesses would follow suit.

• blondie
  • Paralipomenon
    Paralipomenon

I found this quote from russell the other day, I thought it was actually pretty balanced.

"Even though Christmas is not the real anniversary of our Lord's birth, but more properly the annunciation day or the date of his human begetting (Luke 1:28), nevertheless, since the celebration of our Lord's birth is not a matter of divine appointment or injunction, but merely a tribute of respect to him, it is not necessary for us to quibble particularly about the date. We may as well join with the civilized world in celebrating the grand event on the day which the majority celebrate - "Christmas day.""

• disfellowshipped1
  • james_woods
    james_woods
    We may as well join with the civilized world in celebrating the grand event on the day which the majority celebrate - "Christmas day.""

Probably one of the very last times they tried to "join in with the civilized world" on ANYTHING...

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

This past Sunday of advent we had no sermon. Rather, a celebration of advent readings and hymns first allowed after Cromwell. It is difficult for remember that the Protector/Dictator controlled religious expression. So Cromwell was there first. If the PUritans and other reformed branches acknowledged the pagan origins and forbid Christmas celebration, how novel was the Witness ban?

• james_woods
    james_woods
    If the PUritans and other reformed branches acknowledged the pagan origins and forbid Christmas celebration, how novel was the Witness ban?

Not exclusively novel at all - like practically all JW doctrine, it borrows heavily on long previous protestant and eschatological thoughts from nonJWs.

Probably one of the very last times they tried to "join in with the civilized world" on ANYTHING...

Oops - maybe I misquoted there: Forgot about the UN/NGO scandal. But they got that covered up pretty fast when people found out about it...

• ScenicViewer
    ScenicViewer

Terry said,

A thing is not what it was, but, what it now IS.

- and -

What it was at any point in ancient history is really meaningless unless you are an archeologist, Paleontolgist or an Asberger's syndrome sufferer!

(Awake 9-22-03 p23, 24)
    “A main concern is, not what the practice meant hundreds of years ago, but how it is viewed today in your area. Understandably, opinions may vary from one place to another. Hence, it is wise to avoid turning such matters into big issues.” (Said regarding the use of the pagan based pinjata.)

Strange how the Society will allow some pagan customs because they have lost their original meaning over time, but birthdays and Christmas are still taboo. The Society itself turns these "matters into big issues."

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit