Did Charles Russell know that certain christmas traditions were pagan?

by garyneal 21 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• garyneal
    garyneal

This is a question that has been on my mind lately because I believe it can make an impact on those 'honest hearted' ones who wonder why the Watchtower today is so different than the one led by Russell and yet Russell can still be considered a brother in good standing.

Jehovah's Witnesses today acknowledge that the Watchtower use to celebrate Christmas but as they were being led 'out of the darkness' they changed their ways. I did some research and it is clear in the old Zion's Watchtower magazines that Russell knew that December 25th was not Jesus' birthday but instead it was the time of his conception. In one article, it even stated that Jesus was born September 25 (nine months later) while in another article it stated that Jesus was born on October 1st.

What's not clear, however, is whether or not old Chuck knew that the traditions were pagan. I did a search on old topics here on JWN and saw some people posted that he did know (one of them by Mary). However, no proof text or links was supplied to verify this.

This would be real interesting if he did know this because then it would make the witnesses position on Charles having the right 'heart condition' more difficult to defend. If indeed Charles Russell knew that the Christmas traditions he partook in were pagan but he did it anyway because he felt that the spirit of the season was about Christ, then how is this different than what Christians today practice? If indeed, Charles went to his grave knowing this but practicing it anyway and yet still be considered today as a brother and friend of Christ, why do they not allow the same for Christians today?

Just thinking....

• james_woods
    james_woods

Were they still putting up a christmas tree when they were said to have been "inspected and found to be the only true religion on earth" in 1919?

• PSacramento
    PSacramento

Maybe Chuck realized that every tradition we have has pagan history behind it.

Maybe he realized that the offering of sacrfices and gifts to God that the Jew had always done had pagan history behind it, as did the baptisimal rites and so many others.

Maybe Chuck read Paul's words to the Romans AND understood them.

• clarity
    clarity

They were doing more than putting up trees!

>

Notice ct Russell's words in this 1904 quote ...

>

1904 "Even though Christmas is not the real anniversary of our Lord's birth, but more properly the annunciation day or the date of his human begetting (Luke 1:28),

>

nevertheless, since the celebration of our Lord's birth is not a matter of divine appointment or injunction, but merely a tribute of respect to him, it is not necessary for us to quibble particularly about the date. We may as well join with the civilized world in celebrating the grand event on the day which the majority celebrate - "Christmas day."" (Watchtower, Dec. 1, 1904, p364)

>

Nevertheless

Not necessary to quibble

May as well join...

...these words show a reluctance on Russell's part to join with the "world"(showing culpability?) but Nervertheless Do It Anyway!

clarity

• bob1999
    bob1999

"Were they still putting up a christmas tree when they were said to have been "inspected and found to be the only true religion on earth" in 1919?"

Yes, I think the last JW Christmas tree was in 1925 (or 26)

Edit "Christmas celebrations ceased in 1928 after a radio broadcast and Golden Age articles on their pagan origins. [ 140 ]"

Yearbook, Watch Tower Bible & Tract Society, 1975, page 147.

Peaace

• james_woods
    james_woods
    Yes, I think the last JW Christmas tree was in 1925 (or 26)
    Edit "Christmas celebrations ceased in 1928 after a radio broadcast and Golden Age articles on their pagan origins. [140]"
    Yearbook, Watch Tower Bible & Tract Society, 1975, page 147.

This was what I remembered, too. As a matter of fact, I don't think they had any problem with the cross or the pyramid symbols at the time of the "great inspection" -

• bob1999
    bob1999

"As a matter of fact, I don't think they had any problem with the cross or the pyramid symbols at the time of the "great inspection" -"

Or the 1874 "presence of Christ".

Peace

• blondie
  • james_woods
    james_woods

You know - this thread reminded me that there were other brands of protestant religion (the Puritans, for example) that had long rejected Christmas because it was both Catholic and suspected to be influenced by pagan customes - long, long before Russell.

So they made up the "pure" holiday Thanksgiving.

Eventually, the witnesses got even by accepting their views on Christmas, and then got ahead by rejecting Thanksgiving too.

But the witnesses were far from the first to say that Christmas was "pagan".

• PSacramento
    PSacramento

True, Origen rejected Birthday celebrations.

He also castrated himself base don his interpretation of Matthew 19:12 so, take those views in context.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit