Tebowing in the Kingdom Hall... Funny? Not funny?

by oppostate 19 Replies latest social humour

• Juan Viejo2
    Juan Viejo2

When I was a kid in my early teens, I'd sometimes look around during the prayers at the Kingdom Hall to see what other brothers and sister were doing. This was a pretty safe thing for me to do; my mom and dad always had their heads bowed and eyes shut so they would not notice me looking up. If they did, they wouldn't admit it for fear of being exposed for doing it themselves.

What I found amazing is that it was most often the Watchtower conductor and the reader standing on the stage who were always looking around during the prayer. The number of eyes open within the congregation was also relational to which brother was giving the prayer. When Brother Wysocki (a uncontrollably flatulent elderly Polish brother who claimed to be one of the "anointed") would be called upon to say the closing prayer, everyone knew we were going to have to endure an extremely long, unbearable, and nearly indecipherable monologue. Brother Wysocki was only called upon to say a prayer about once every three months, so he made the best of it when he finally got his chance. (How many times can you thank Jehovah for food and warm clothes and brotherly love in one prayer?) Some families sitting in the back of the hall would actually sneak out during one of his prayers after it had gone on for nearly ten minutes. None of the servants in the Hall dared to say anything to him about his problem.

So it was rather entertaining to watch all the fidgeting going on during the prayers. Every so often a kid would get restless and get a thump on the head or an ear twisted. Some of the older people wouldn't even bother to stand up during the prayers. I'd also notice active conversations taking place (in low whispers, of course) during a prayer.

That's why I always tried to sit toward the rear of the KH when I got older and could sit with my friends. I found out later that one of the games going on during prayers was a type of coded conversation that took place between mostly teenaged girls. They'd have their Bibles open and then point at words on a page, tapping twice when they came to the next word in their conversation. This allowed them to appear to have their heads bowed and eyes closed, but still able to carry on a conversation with their friends. I wished I'd thought of that.

A lot went on during Kingdom Hall prayers, but never a drop and pray Tebow maneuver. That would have brought gasps throughout the Hall. You could sneeze, cough, giggle and fart during a prayer and never get a warning. But Tebowing? No way.

JV

• MrFreeze
    MrFreeze

Bahhh, those kids weren't praying. They were just trying to be funny and disruptive. Those kids were told not to block the hallway and they disobeyed so they got punished. They didn't get suspended. They got an in school suspension which is completely different.

I don't think Tebowing would be approved in the Kingdom Hall. They would view it as a showy prayer display.

As regards anybody else doing it, I equate it with planking. It's not any different really.

• ex360shipper
    ex360shipper

xchange:

Tebow claims to be a virgin.

• NewChapter
    NewChapter

I wonder what will happen during losing streaks... prostrating himself and ripping of garments? Perhaps a chalice?

LOL, what a funny thought. Ashes and sackcloth.

NC

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

This reminds me of when I worshipped at the Cathedral Church of St. John the Divine in NY, an extremely progressive but deeply anchored in Anglo Catholic/High Church liturgy. It had no basic parish attend services so often services would be a hodge podge of blending of various traits in the church. Some people stand for church while most kneel. Sadly, a severely schizophrenic woman worshipped. If she felt so moved during the service, you would walk up to the altar and prostrate herself on the floor. The ushers gave her a few minutes then a deliicate dance occurred where she was coaxed out of her place, flayed out on the floor. It is very upsetting to watch but also loving in many ways.

These Tebowing photos reminded me of it. Everyone making a dramatic gesture of praying. I recall Jesus saying to pray in secret. Making a big show of praying was what the pharisees did. They don't just kneel. Their bodies are out an angle. Harmless I guess. What if you are older and you can't get up and down so fast.

• No Room For George
    No Room For George
    LOL, what a funny thought. Ashes and sackcloth.

LOL

• ziddina
    ziddina
    "Those kids were told not to block the hallway and they disobeyed so they got punished....." Mr. Freeze

Okay, I'm sorry, but seeing all those kids on one knee???

[Channeling my inner She-Devil, again... ]

If I were a decent high-jumper, they'd look like one of those wooden obstacles to me....

"Betcha I can clear all four of them!!!

Ka - THUNK!!! "

Oh, and for extra points???

Warm up for the jump in front of them....

• ziddina
    ziddina

I can also see getting a good game of "leap-frog" started.....

• curiouscynic
    curiouscynic

SNL had a pretty decent send-up of Tebow tonight.

• ziddina
    ziddina

I'd like to sic DIA's demon blue horse on him....

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit