Checking Bibles for "God's Name"

by sabastious 26 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• trueblue
    trueblue

Someone mentioned on this forum one time that God's name never was in the old testamate to start with and that the WTS had put God's name in the old testamate, so I did a little experiement with a Jerusalum bible and a JW bible. The JW bible says Jehovah and the Jerusalum bible says Yahwey, I looked in the places where JW's bible says Jehovah in the Jerusalum bible and it did not have Gaod's name spelled either way in the old testamate but the Jerusalum bible did say Yahwey in the places in the new testamate where JW's bible says Jehovah.

• jonathan dough
    jonathan dough

The Interlinear Bible in Hebrew, Greek and English, a literal translation by famed trinitarian Jay P. Green, uses "Jehovah" throughout the Old Testament, but not in the New Testament for obvious reasons.

http://www.144000.110mb.com/directory/new_world_translation_bible_holy_scriptures.html

http://www.144000.110mb.com/directory/united_nations_jehovahs_witnesses.html

• atrapado
    atrapado

God's name or the YHWH is found on the OT(6828 times), but is not found on about 5000 old manuscripts of the new testament. You seen Yahwe on the Jerusalem bible in the NT?. Do you have a scripture? I haven't seen it on the NT.

• stillin
    stillin

you would think that if it was so important that God would make sure to protect the bible translations to the extent that His name would be accurately conveyed...

• kurtbethel
    kurtbethel

I use the NIV when I want to read it as a narrative, because it has a more natural modern language flow.

You might tell your MIL that it it interesting to have her share the NWT to see how it is rendered, (remember that word, since it takes translators to make a translation and the NWT had no discernable translators) but you also want to refer to a scholarly translation to get the most accurate understanding of the text. I did this with my JWs and they could never get around that point to bully me with their views.

• PaintedToeNail
    PaintedToeNail

Just a note for those wanting to buy an NIV bible-I have stumbled across several, at a senior center run re-sale store. You can pick up nice bibles by different versions or translations. You might be able to get a good used one at a resale ship in you area and for a lot less cost than brand new.

Sorry for any mispelling or grammar errors, I just took ambien, and am semi-hallucinating.

• PaintedToeNail
    PaintedToeNail

Just a note for those wanting to buy an NIV bible-I have stumbled across several, at a senior center run re-sale store. You can pick up nice bibles by different versions or translations. You might be able to get a good used one at a resale ship in you area and for a lot less cost than brand new.

Sorry for any mispelling or grammar errors, I just took ambien, and am semi-hallucinating.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit