Checking Bibles for "God's Name"

by sabastious 26 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• sabastious
    sabastious

I had a ritual growing up every time we traveled to an assembly or convention. In the hotel I would always take a look at the Gideon Bible's that were always stored in one of the drawers. Immediately upon finding it I would open up to Psalms 83:18 to check if the Bible had God's name within it. I was told that if the Bible did not have the name there, it did not have it anywhere.

For some reason it was important for me to keep building evidence that no matter where we went we found the stench of deceit.

I finally bought myself a New International Version and it has been more emotional than I would have thought. I had been using BibleGateway.com to read it for far too long. Here is a link to the one I got, I think it's pretty nice. I had been a staunch defender and user of the NWT for vast majority of my life. Now I only use it when I need to figure out why a Witness has the wrong idea. The difference between the NWT and the NIV are humbling.

It's very nice to have a Bible actually in my contemporary language. It's all so clear to me now. We are not supposed to read it root word for root word we are supposed to read it like we would other pieces of ancient literary art. Historical context is good for getting what the writers originally meant, but there's no need to stop there. There are many different logical approaches to the texts that bring out things that maybe the orginal writers didn't know they were describing. The possibilities are endless.

My hardcore dub mother in law has been trying to get into Bible discussions with me lately. She's been making an honest attempt to try to find some sort of common denominator. It's very sweet, but unfortunately the dub in her will always keep in pouncing formation. We are currently debating on who is the wisest person in the Bible besides Jesus. My guy is Job hers is Solomon. I have been using the NIV to understand Solomon's words and I think I have a decent understanding of his core message. She on the other hand uses the NWT which turns his words into a bunch of riddles, none of which she solves.

She was over the other day and I was, carefully, trying to explain to her why the NWT has given her an inflated view of this ancient king in Jewish lore. I told her that if we are going to have Bible discussions then she is going to have to read both the NWT and the NIV versions so we'll know where each other are at. I pointed out the Bible in the living room and immediately she went over to get the book in my case. I knew what she was going to do before she did it because I used to do it too. She didn't say what she was doing and I found it odd that she felt the need to keep it from me. So I asked her why she thought that the translators of this Bible replaced YHWH?

She then told me that it was because of ancient Jewish prejudice that the name was removed. I felt it was kind of an anti-semitic comment, but I knew it was from the insight book as it was one of the first things that led me out. I told her that there is a scholarly reason for it and then told her about the missing vowls and whatnot.

It was a surreal experience for me because I believe it showed me how different I have become. I used to be scared of my own shadow and checked Bible's for God's name, which the Witnesses obviously believe to be enchanted, and similar whacky stuff.

In my first apartment, when I was single, I used to have a rat named Athena. I had this couch that my older brother gave me that had some hollow places in it. Athena was a darter. Sometimes she would get out of her cage and dart over to the couch and go inside it. There was litterally no way of getting her out without destoying the couch. So I'd just let her kick it in there. She did this odd thing when she was inside. This couch, like most couches, had cushions. You know how in the back of the cushions where they meet the back of the couch there are those space holes? She would use filling she tore away from the inside of the couch and was filling them in one by one. Every single one would have filling stuffed there. That's how I would get her out, I would pluck one up and soon she would be there to fill it in again and I would attempt to grab her.

Myself and my mother in law's compulsions to check for enchanted words in books is much like Athena trying to fill the couch holes. It's the right behaviour in the wrong setting.

-Sab

• paladin
    paladin

I want to purchase a NIV bible soon. How many times is God's name mentioned in the NIV?

• sabastious
    sabastious
    I want to purchase a NIV bible soon. How many times is God's name mentioned in the NIV?

I don't think I have seen it in there yet. If the scholar is translating a polytheistic holy book then names would be extremely important, but since the Bible is monotheistic then "God" and "god" or "Lord" and "LORD" should suffice.

-Sab

• ProdigalSon
    ProdigalSon

If your MIL's second favorite character in the Bible is Solomon, I would ask her how it's possible that someone with so much wisdom died as an apostate from Jehovah. Don't accept the "pagan wives" as an excuse either. That would indicate that in spite of all his wisdom he was still nothing more than a horny mammal......and why was it okay for him to be banging a thousand women?

If someone of his stature caved in then what hope is there for the average dub.....

The only explanation is that he found out something about Jehovah that the average Jew didn't know... or maybe they did, since the OT accounts are full of their outright rejection of him.

• paladin
    paladin

Thanks. Some web sites have what is called a "thin line Bible" NIV for sale. Does this mean large print or small print or what?

• sabastious
    sabastious
    If your MIL's second favorite character in the Bible is Solomon, I would ask her how it's possible that someone with so much wisdom died as an apostate from Jehovah. Don't accept the "pagan wives" as an excuse either. That would indicate that in spite of all his wisdom he was still nothing more than a horny mammal......and why was it okay for him to be banging a thousand women?

She has such adoration for him. She gets all starry eyed when she reccomends his writings. I have already spoken about his questionable sex life with her and she just exuses it away. After all, what he left behind makes up for all that he lost apparently. It seems to me that if she lived in his time she'd have no problem being one of many adoring wife-fans.

"Solomon Solomon he's our man! The wiset of all the earth!"

-Sab

• sabastious
    sabastious
    Thanks. Some web sites have what is called a "thin line Bible" NIV for sale. Does this mean large print or small print or what?

This is what I found as to the defintion:

What is a Thinline Bible

I saw the term "Thinline Bible" online, but nowhere could I find an explanation of what exactly that is.

It seems like a thinline bible is a generic term for a compact bible: having small margins, very small type, and no notes (as in a Study Bible).

Remember that Amazon allow you to look inside books. This should show you exactly what format it is in.

If your eyes are not as good as they used to be, pay careful attention to the font specified in the description. Some Bibles are in size 8 font, which for most people is too small.

-Sab

• N.drew
    N.drew

My mother's Bible (from the Lutheran Church tradition) has God's Name in it.

THE

HOLY BIBLE

containing the

OLD AND NEW TESTAMENTS

Translated out of the original tongues

Being the version set forth 1611

Compared with the most ancient authorities and revised

A.D. 1881-1885

Newly Edited by the American Revision Commitee

A.D. 1901

STANDARD EDITION

NEW yORK

THOMAS NELSON & SONS

381-385 Fourth Avenue

That's what is on the front page.

"Jehovah" is not indexed so I can't tell how many times The Name appears.

But when I open a page, I can see God's Name. For instance I open just now to Second Chronicles 33:10 says "And Jehovah spoke to Mannasseh"

• paladin
    paladin

Thanks again.

• PSacramento
    PSacramento

Some versions have Jehovah, others Have Yahweh but the majority have Lord.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit