Checking Bibles for "God's Name"

by sabastious 26 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• clarity
    clarity

Sab ..... loved this post ... all of it!

{It was a surreal experience for me because I believe it showed me how different I have become}

I see you differently now too.

I have KJ but will take a look at a NIV.

• lilbluekitty
    lilbluekitty

My dad (hardcore JW hypocrite) actually told me if Jehovah's name wasn't in a Bible, it wasn't inspired...um...ALL scripture is inspired of God and beneficial etc.??? He loves to put down the NIV, even though I really like it and own a lovely pink one with swirls on it.

• emanresu
    emanresu

I have to say, i am a bit surprised that this is how Jws measure the accuracy of a bible translation. I myself have used the NIV for most of my life because it is easy to understand, but recently i learned most modern bible translations have verses missing or changed.

here's a list:

Matthew 12:47

Matthew 17:21

Matthew 18:11

Matthew 21:44

Matthew 23:14

Mark 7:16

Mark 9:44

Mark 9:46

Mark 11:26

Mark 15:28

Mark 16:9-20 (all 12 verses)

Luke 22:44

Luke 22:43

Luke 23:17

John 5:4

Acts 8:37

Acts 15:34

Acts 24:7

Acts 28:29

Romans 16:24

I John 5:7

• sd-7
    sd-7

I use the NIV myself these days. I rather like the simplicity of it. There's just no more need to freak out if JHVH isn't in there. I did find a King James Version back in 2001--a gift Bible--that had Jehovah at Psalm 83:18. But otherwise, I used to wonder about all that, with the four letters and all. Sometimes I'd just try and pronounce the consonants. "Yuh-wuh. Yuh-wuh."

Would be funny if He finally spoke out of frustration from the heavens. "It's YIHWIH, you despicable fools! YIHWIH!!!"

"Oh. Well that clears up a 2,000-year-old debate..."

--sd-7

• sabastious
    sabastious
    Would be funny if He finally spoke out of frustration from the heavens. "It's YIHWIH, you despicable fools! YIHWIH!!!"

Lol!

-Sab

• sabastious
    sabastious

Thank you for that list, emanresu and welcome to the forum, btw. I like how the NIV has the Bible partitioned out. You know at the top of all the NWT pages there are those paraphrased text from contents of the page? I always felt they were poor representations of the content. I like how BibleGateway.com has the NIV titled out like "Jesus Talks With a Samaritan Woman" or "The Parable of the Workers in the Vineyard." I don't know if that's the NIV or BibleGateway though.

-Sab

• sabastious
    sabastious
    Sab ..... loved this post ... all of it!

I'm very glad you did! Thank you.

-Sab

• TTWSYF
    TTWSYF

I wonder what the interlinear says. Just thinking out loud.

• N.drew
    N.drew

This web http://biblos.com/ has an interlinear in Greek and Hebrew

• atrapado
    atrapado

I am personally using the New Jeruslame Bible. This bible translates YHWH to Yahweh everywhere is found in the older manuscripts. I personally read spanish and english and since I can get this Bible in both languages is a plus.

I have done what you described about Psalms 83:18. But usually in Catholic bibles that is Psalms 82:19 and you'll find that many will tell you in Exodus 3:15(footnones) that they have replaced YHWH with 'LORD' all capitals.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit