Do You Agree That Being A JW=Never Growing To Your Full Potential?

by minimus 23 Replies latest jw friends

• minimus
    minimus

Soooo many Witnesses that I knew of had great potential to be somebody, to do something in their lives and instead, they simply existed in a way of life that never really ever gave them back anything in return. So sad, when you think of the waste!

• GromitSK
    GromitSK

I think one probably reaches one's potential for delivering magazines.

• undercover
    undercover

Unless you were going to be a con artist in some other fashion, then the only potential recognized is in public speaking and the art of bullshit that causes people to buy into the rhetoric.

• besunny
    besunny

totally agree

• stuckinamovement
  • DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

Yes. I think there really are some talented people in the Org. For quite a long time I was able to stiffle my doubts and reservations by thinking of the talented, intelligent, and successful people who are convinced that it is The Truth. IF THEY are convinced it is The Truth, then it must be. Sadly, they were sold the same bill of goods that I bought.

DOC

• jay88
    jay88

If I am planning on becoming a Amway representative or sell Pre-Paid legal,... then no

• Londo111
    Londo111

I agree--especially for those of us who are Born Ins.

Many put thier life on hold, because somebody told them that the "due time has approached" and the only way to survive was loyalty toward a group of men, which was the equivalent to loyalty toward God. I believe that Christianity is about living the best way of life now, both for one's neighbor and oneself, and leaving eternal rewards for when they come.

Some have walked away from the love of their life because they were "worldly" and forced to attempt to settle with those incompatible with them on so many levels.

• NVR2L8
    NVR2L8

I quit school a few weeks before completing grade 10 - one year short of completing High School. This was in 1970 when I was convinced by the WT that secular education and pursuing a career was useless since the end would come before I could ever complete college. There was no valid reason for me to leave school especially when I had a talent for algebra, geometry and foreign languages. From then I did all types of low paying jobs like apprentice autobody man and warehouse labourer...I always felt I had to work twice as hard as anyone else to keep my job because I feared it would be very difficult to find another decent job without any type of diploma. Of course I never had time to go to night classes or take courses because all my time was devoted to being a good JW. Then I got married very young...and at 21 years old I became a father which added more pressure in keeping my job at all cost. With time an executive of the company I was working for saw the potential in me and I ended up holding a senior manager's position paying a few thousands short of six figures. Following the advice of this same executive I joined the company's pension plan when doing so was seen as a lack of faith by other JWs.

Still, who can tell what I could have accomplished with a college or university education.

• steve2
    steve2

If you're satisfied with pre-school level development, you will reach your full potential as a witness. If you set your sights beyond preschool, you will grow to your potential only when you leave.

As painful as I found leaving the organization, the day I vowed never to set foot in a kingdom hall anywhere ever again was the day I started to grow into my full potential as an adult. In the unlikely event that I should ever return to the JWs it will be because I once again hanker for the role of a preschooler. Thank you - but no thank you.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit