COC in public libraries

by diamondiiz 29 Replies latest watchtower bible

• diamondiiz
    diamondiiz

I haven't researched this but do library have copies of this book?
    Did you ever look for COC or any other book in a local library when you were a believer or when you began to have doubts?
    How hard is it to find this book in a public library?
    Would you of have you donate(d) your old copy and do you think dubs would make the book "disappear" if they found it in the library?

I was thinking of donating my copy to the local library as I have a pdf copy and really won't read the book again but it might be more useful to curious JWs, or those with doubts or even outsiders who might find it interesting to learn about the inner workings of the cult. It might do more good sitting on a library shelf than on my shelf. Opinions welcome.

• leavingwt
    leavingwt

The individual who first alerted me to the existence of this book read it in a public library, during his lunch breaks. (Michigan, USA)

• insearchoftruth
    insearchoftruth

I was thinking of donating as well, the best thing for exposure would be if a library could host an ebook format, that would prevent the book from mysteriously disappearing!

• iCeltic
    iCeltic

I'd be happy to buy it from you, then stick it in the library when I'm done. no problem though if you'd rather not.

• mouthy
    mouthy

I have donated 3 books to the Library...They were NOT returned
    I complained to the Head Librarian & she said the people that kept them
    paid for them.... $12.00 at the time... She refused to give me the names.

So I presumed them to be JW's. thats O.k as long as they read them that is GREAT!!!!

• StoneWall
    StoneWall

I can say that when I first started having serious doubts and concerns over the WT Organization, I personally went to the local public library in hopes of finding CoC to read and was disheartened that they didn't have it avaiable. I even checked with the other public libraries in surrounding counties via their in-house electronic card catalogue and none of them had it. (you can have a book sent to your local library from one of the other counties if they have it available)

To this day I haven't read CoC but have read many excerpts from it and admire Ray for his courage in writing it.
    Some may wonder why I still haven't purchased a copy or borrowed it to read, but at this point in my life I'm already mentally and physically out of the WT so don't really feel a need to.

But I do feel that years ago when I was first looking for it at the library, it would have been such a tremendous help for me at that time due to the passages I've read from it.

It is still on my to do list (to read) one day if I don't run out of time in this life. :)
    I owe it to Ray Franz for giving me one of my first probing questions when I was younger about why would anyone ever leave or be DF from the GB.

• steve2
    steve2

In my view, it is far more likely for people to access information on the JWs on the internet at sites such as this one rather than the library. I'd say it would be extremely rare for JWs to actively search for books on religion at their local library - although I guess for JWs who already have their doubts this could be a place they would look?

• leavingwt
    leavingwt

The password-protected PDF file is a great means of distribution. People can read it from their phone, tablet, Mac or PC. Plus, the PDF version is the Fourth Edition, which includes several updates from the original work.

http://www.commentarypress.com/Detail/eng_crisis_e.html

• Dogpatch
    Dogpatch

Books donated to libraries like Crisis have to be kept "in stock" at least yearly. Some JW is always happy to unpromote true kingdom interests. :-))

But many others are help.

I don't get a discount on Ray's books (it's now in Amazon's hands) otherwise I would offer an plan like he once had.

And that book is so important it should be FREE in PDF format in all languages, since it's not going to hurt sales that much. People still read books. :-))

JMHO

Randy

for an alyernate perspective you can send people to:

http://www.randallwatters.org

Randy

• NoRegrets
    NoRegrets

I didn't find CofC in my library system but they do have other titles. A book I enjoyed from the library was by a sociologist named Andrew Holden from the UK. It's called Jehovah's Witnesses- Portrait of a Contemporary Religious Movement. I plan on reading it again soon. It is written from a clinical point of view and is enlightening. Anyone else read this one? Our library also carries I'm Perfect- You're Doomed by Kyria Abrahams. We owned that one and passed it along to others. It's a funny read but more light. Did anyone else read or enjoy that one?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit