Stack all Society's literature together in one pile -- how tall?

by FatFreek 2005 18 Replies latest watchtower bible

• FatFreek 2005
    FatFreek 2005

Any of you math wizards willing to try a guess?

I mean everything -- books, magazines from 1879, booklets, pamphlets, tracts, etc.

It may be an interesting number. Ten feet? 100 feet?

• clarity
    clarity

Well FF, I think all of it would be twice the distance around the earth ... of course it will take a real maths wizard to calculate that!

Maybe the wtbts is trying to build something so high, reaching into the heavens ..... gee now there is nothing they can't do!!

c

• JeffT
    JeffT

Are you talking about ALL of the literature they've printed or just one copy of each? One press run of Watchtowers = 42,000,000 (number taken from one I happen to have on the shelf) x .05 inch (estimate) = 175,000 feet = 33.3 miles (about 55 KM for those outside the US)

God, what a waste of trees.

• unshackled
    unshackled

About as tall as the Tower of Babel.

• cantleave
    cantleave

It would be the biggest pile of shit ever!

• EndofMysteries
    EndofMysteries

It brings to mind the words of Solomon at Ecc 12:12 - "Take a warning: To the making of many books there is no end, and much devotion to them is wearisome to the flesh."

I wonder if you ask a GB member what that means, what they would say? "O it means one shouldn't waste their time with securlar books and babylon the great, when us being the faithful slave have dispensed all the books one needs to have devotion for".

• GLTirebiter
    GLTirebiter

My Ex's collection of bound WT and Awake volumes (about 50 years worth, IIRC) took up about 8 feet of shelf space. There was another 3 or 4 feet of other volumes: various "192 page books" and copies of the NWT--but there were many duplicates among those. But if you consider everything back to Russell's tracts and Sudies in the Scriptures, not to mention Rutherford's phono records, it should easily top twenty feet.

• FatFreek 2005
    FatFreek 2005

Wow, JeffT. That's quite a value. Thanks for that calc. Actually, however, I meant (but didn't make myself clear) how much it would measure if just a single copy of each were stacked.

Right now I'm looking for a comprehensive list of all their literature -- then come up with some average for a magazine (you say 1/2"?), for a book, booklet, etc. That should simplify it. In the early days of Zion's Watch Tower they only printed 1 issue per month for a while. However, it was quite a bit larger -- more square inches of printing.

• FatFreek 2005
  • factfinder
    factfinder

This may not answer your question but it may be of interest anyway (I Hope!)

If you laid each copy of the w and g printed last year end to end they would cirlcle the earth over 6 times.

ONE DAYS production of books at Wallkill if stacked would be more than 3 times as tall as the empire state building. (Wallkill prints 26% of the total books printed each year worldwide by wt.)

To find out how high a stack would be made if you stacked ONE copy of EVERY publication the society ever printed? Well, I would not even be able to begin to guess that. Is a COMPLETE list available? Do you mean in English only? And there are wt publications we may never be made aware of.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit