"Freeing" those "trapped" in the Organization.

by curiouscynic 33 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Knowsnothing
    Knowsnothing

I suppose it's all about perspective.

What might be "restrictive" to some, means "protection" for others.

What activities we might drudge in, they might delight.

Freedom is the right to make choices, and they've made their choice. They want in. That's their whole life. They have personally benefited from being in. So, who am I to take that from them?

At the very least, I would like them to acknowledge the inconsitencies within their religion, and not try to run from reality. If they still want to continue after that, that's their problem.

• N.drew
    N.drew

The problem the Watchtower has created for itself is there can be no change. Either put up with falsehood or get out.

They want to stay but if they who want to stay try to affect change they become the devil. It's lose lose.

The movie the Libyrinth (a major stumbling movie me thinks they think) has a good line "you have no power over me". But they do allow the Governing Body power over them.

As soon I discovered the Governing Body did not have any special power I realized the people loved them despite their worldliness. I thought the command to love Jehovah your God with your whole heart was not being obeyed by the majority of Jehovah's Witnesses because they are giving some of their heart in the form of blind obedience to the Governing Body. It can hardly be considered whole hearted service to the Living God.

It is obvious, even to a computer I think, that their dedication is to the organization with the Governing Body as head.

• Londo111
    Londo111

Many Witnesses fear that if they leave their 'Spiritual Paradise', they will wander in a spiritual wasteland...and without that structure they will have no hope, and might go off the deep end (drugs, alcoholism, ect). Of course, it doesn't have to be that way.

So the problem is a spiritual one. Christianity, if one chooses that path, does not have to be burdensome. I believe there can be refreshment and a true spiritual paradise, one free from dogma, free from ton of talmudic-like rules. If a person truly applies the lessons in the Gospels, I think they would be happier for it. The WTS does not allow that.

If a child is playing with a toy that might be unsuitable to them, a loving and wise relative wouldn't just forcibly take it from them. Rather, they would try to offer them something better, while weaning them from the beloved toy. Of course, I guess that is the gist of this thread...how to do that. Some children can get very attached to things. So can adults.

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

Unless someone wants to leave the JW`s..

There`s not much anyone can do..Leave them where they are..

.................. ...OUTLAW

• cyberjesus
    cyberjesus

i left cuz i was searching for truth, no matter what.... but I was able to actually go over the mind control. Many dont really want to know the truth "their truth" is good enough, other might want to know the truth but they cant search for it because they are slaves, they cant pass their brainwashed thoughts.

When the brain loses the ability to think critically, there is not much you can do.

• jean-luc picard
    jean-luc picard

CC, you say:

He said that this [JW life] is what he's done his entire life and he didn't know what sort of person he'd be without it.

My mother is the same, and I think I can understand it ( she is quite old): for many, its easier to stay in, rather than face the uncertainty of life ( with all of its rewards), starting out all over.Also to have to admit that they have wasted a large portion of their precious life. They are afraid. Period. They dont have the character to leave, so they dont want to hear anything that makes them uneasy. Typical ostrich stuff.

• PSacramento
    PSacramento

My mom and dad and older sister are quite happy as JW's.

They socialize and feel very spiritual and have openly stated that the "errors" of the past are just that, that the feel the JW religion is not perfect but at least it is better than the rest.

They can live with the issues and chalk it up to "imperfect men" and that Jehovah knows what is in their hearts.

If they are wrong, its not their fault.

• andys
    andys

Its all how the person feels individually about being a JW, my experience I was not happy, I wanted out, I had a desire to get out and I am never going back, and to Londo111, I agree with you 100%, I am very happy now that I am persuing Christanity and I don't find it burdomsome, every week I look foward to going to church and have made some very awesome friends that have been helping me along the way, but also I do want to say thanks to this board all the people on here, sometimes I do have to throw some steam out there of what happened when I used to be a JW, overall also everyone at work has told me that I have changed I am not depressed like I used to be everyone tells me I am alot more happier, also one other thing this board helps so many people with is when they are in the exiting process they see everyones comments on here and all the ones in the exiting process I can guarantee with 100% you find more happiness on the outside:)

• curiouscynic
    curiouscynic

Thanks so much for the thoughtful responses. I'm excited that I've managed to start a fire-retardant thread.

I'm not sure that I agree that the questions I posed equate to a false dichotomy, but I suppose I understand why you'd draw that conclusion.

Honestly, the mind control thing is a very difficult concept for me to understand. Just because they try to make service seem compulsory doesn't mean it is. Once you've isolated yourself within the environment, the cult mindset is continuously reinforced, I get that... but I, much like cyberjesus, was interested in the truth [the 2nd time I left. The first time, I was primarily interested in getting high and laid. But I was 16!], the REAL truth. Once I was confident that I had sufficient information to conclude that the WTS wasn't teaching the truth as I understood it, I was gone. Too easy. Of course, a couple years later I was abandoned by my family for my decision and that wasn't so easy... but I still have a hard time understanding the feeling of being trapped, because to me, you just walk away. It's that easy.

With regard to family. I've had virtually no contact with mine in years, at their insistence. I texted my parents recently on their anniversary, Happy Anniversary! I love you! I received, I love you too. as a reply. That's all the communication we've had all year.

If I asked my dad to have lunch with me, he would. I think he would even allow me to discuss religious issues with him for a little bit anyway. But even though I don't think what he's doing [in the org] is necessary, or right. It seems to make him happy and, provided it were possible, I would feel guilty for taking that away from him. Even if it meant I regained him as a friend. Even if it meant that his eyes were opened and he began to think for himself...

• diamondiiz
    diamondiiz

CC: with regard to mind control, search "BITE model" and see if you can apply it to wts

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit