I think we have it backwards

by lrkr 15 Replies latest jw friends

• darth frosty
    darth frosty

in my opinion you are right!

its all about the nature of relion and whats behind them. the abrahamic religions have ALL been about control.

thats why greek and roman gods have no effect today. while they may be older than the big 3 there was no control aspect to them.

the big 3 has embedded control devices and rules that makes it appealing to those who seek power and control over others and those who need to be under a strict religous yoke.

• designs
    designs

Interested- Thanks

The so-called holy books are organic in that they are the product of the culture and spring from the minds and mindsets of the peoples who wrote them.

• keyser soze
    keyser soze

I absolutely agree with the OP. The extremists, or those who subscribe to a more literal interpretation, are far more honest about their respective gods. Most people tend to gloss over the less palatable parts to reconcile it with their own personal ideas of what they want god to be. In other words, they don't tailor their beliefs to fit whatever book they believe in, but, rather, they interpret these books to fit their beliefs. And if something doesn't harmonize, then it should be ignored, or not taken literally, or placed in some sort of historical context.

• cantleave
    cantleave

I can't understand why in the 21st century people still put so much faith in these stupid old books.

• sabastious
    sabastious

The Bible might as well have been written on a different planet. When I left the JW's I was very critical of the Bible (as you can see from my past posts). However, since then I have come to realize that there is extreme and lasting value in the stories of Bible because they are all based on true events and written by real ancient people.

There's no reason to believe that the stories in the Bible are boldface lies. I think it's quite possible that many words in the Bible were written down with the intention of being inaccurate and therefore requiring interpretation. The people of Bible times knew that their story telling ways did not yield the truth, but something based off the truth.

The Bible is a book of vast worth because it was written by our ancestors. If anything it gives us a window into ourselves that is not possible in modern times. What those people all those many thousands of years ago decided to write down will forever be on my bookshelf. I went to Barnes and Noble and got a nice one and now I display it proudly. It's an ancient artifact with secrets still yet to be revealed.

-Sab

• Black Sheep
    Black Sheep

I have had my family tell me that my disrespect for the Watchtower is due to my father's bullying nature.....

.... Same thing .... They can't legitimately blame him, because he was being a good JW and playing by the book.... and I have the books to prove it. I challenge them to show me literature that shows he was out of order. That's always the end of that argument.

The Bible is a book of vast worth because it was written by our ancestors

It wasn't written by any ancestor of mine, Sab

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit