Victoria, Australia: Brief Update - Steven Unthank is still Acting Prosecutor, etc.

by AndersonsInfo 41 Replies latest watchtower child-abuse

• diamondiiz
    diamondiiz

I agree with smiddy that all JWs should have background checks, I was actually going to make that comment prior to reading his post. JWs aren't like other religions where there is a handful of ministers per church. JWs are ALL ministers and ALL go recruiting. Any JW can take others' children on calls or in service, any adult publisher can study with kids from within a congregation or with a child of a non-JW.

• ScenicViewer
    ScenicViewer

A question here.

AndersonsInfo said,

"The meeting attendance sign outside the Traralgon Congregation has been pulled down and removed from public display following a personal visit in November by the Australian Branch Overseer..."

Does anyone know the Society's strategy in removing the sign? Is it to make it appear that the Traralgon congregation no longer exists?

I can see from web photos that the sign is indeed gone now.

• jwfacts
    jwfacts

It`s not just the children of jehovah`s witnesses who need to be protected here ,it`s the children of every home where a jehovah`s witness knocks on the door.

smiddy

Good Point. Each JW is made to be a sales person, and door to door is the most common method, which can bring them into contact with children home alone. I think likewise that door to door sales people of other products like electricity and phones should also require a WWC card. I feel very uncomfortable that my children and even wife are home alone when these strangers appear at the door. Unfortunately, that type of work does not seem to be covered by the Act.

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

Obviously, I don't know Australia law. It seems sad that an individual is saddled with the burden of making certain the Witnesses comply. Unthank is unpaid, a volunteer. What if he were to leave the case for a number of reasons. The children would not be protected.

Still, police calling on a KH during services! One of my fantasies. I bet not a single elder lawyered up. The back room sounds a bit funny.

It reminds me of all the time I was just stuck with any casual Witness in Field Service. During the height of the racial tension in the 1960s, I was a white teenager. The brothers paired me with an attractive, young black brother to go FS in the most hostile area of them all. My parents put an immediate end to it. I thought we'd make a good team but a good team emerges alive.

FS exposes children (it exposed me at least) to barely garbed people. Our householders did not believe in robes. I saw so much at a young age. If the same situation happened at home, they would have exploded. I suppose Jehovah keeps you safe was the reasoning. I must say that our home was dinky looking but seemed a palatial mansion when we returned home.

• jwfacts
    jwfacts

http://www.checkwwc.wa.gov.au/checkwwc/News.htm are looking for suggestions regarding amendments to working with children legislation. This is for the state of WA, not Vic, so not directly related to the case.

I have sent a letter stating that I would like to see it extended to include people going univited door-to-door, such as salespeople and religious people.

• smiddy
    smiddy

Thanks for that link jwfacts

I have just sent a letter via the website,I have also sent a letter to the editor of the AGE & Herald Sun newspapers regarding Steven Unthanks case.

The more public exposure the better I feel.

smiddy

• flipper
    flipper

Barbara- Thanks for providing this information. Wow, just wow. They wouldn't let a 10 yr.old give his talk ? Incredible. I'm surprised they didn't prevent ALL minor children from entering the kingdom hall ! It sounds like the heat is being turned up by the police in that particular congregation. I bet the police have discovered some actual child abuse cases there and are on it like glue on paper. Otherwise why would the Australia branch overseer make a special November visit to that congregation ? Elders meeting with police in the back room ? This is REALLY getting interesting. Go justice ! Go police ! Go courts ! It's about time. We will be watching this intently the next few months

• 2tone
    2tone

I dont want to be a buzz kill but i feel that this thing is going to fizzle out, with a slap on the wrist. Dont get me wrong i would love for this to get worldwide media attention and massive penalties.

• wobble
    wobble

Dear 2tone, You could well be right, but whatever happens, we have to make sure that this case wakes up the JW's to their responsibility to protect children and the vulmerable.

Their disgusting attitude of ignoring, not just the danger, but often the offences going on in their midst, and not putting in place proper working practices that protect has GOT to change.

Even if this case does not get as huge as we would like, we can publicise it in our own countries and make the public aware of "The Paedophile at YOUR door" and force the JW's to take the steps they should have done morally years ago.

Even tiny pre-school nursery groups in my area actually ensure the protection of those in their charge, JW's have no excuse.

• ziddina
    ziddina

Marking....

What will it take to have the monstrous, predatory behavior of pedophiles operating freely within the congregations, and the Watchtower Corporation's complicity in these crimes committed against Jehovah's Witness children, exposed, and soon???

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit