Victoria, Australia: Brief Update - Steven Unthank is still Acting Prosecutor, etc.

by AndersonsInfo 41 Replies latest watchtower child-abuse

• ScenicViewer
    ScenicViewer

Smiddy asked,

Why hasn`t the office of prosecutions taken over this case from the outset ?

Why is it left to a private individual to bear this responsibility ?

Those are the same questions I've had. One relpy I got a couple of months ago had to do with the legal system being fairly jammed, and prosecutions are an expensive drain on taxpayers. I'm not completely satisfied with that answer since the protection of children should take a high priority. Otherwise, why have the law in the first place?

Apparently the police were involved before Steven Unthank, but after a brief investigation they decided not to prosecute. Now, thanks to Unthank pursuing the case, it seems to be getting much more police attention, and a more in depth investigation. I take this as a positive sign. I am hoping for some guilty verdicts in the end.

• ScenicViewer
    ScenicViewer

Here is a little bit of irony.

The Traralgon K.H. is located next to a Precshool that says "Child Health Center" on the sign by the sidewalk.

(Use the scroll bar on the last pic to see it all.)

• Aussie Oz
    Aussie Oz

The legal system is well known (and i know a personal case in Vic) for spending a long time 'investigating', having toothless tiger government bodies look very interested, only to toss it out with the trash because its just to hard and will cost too much money as well as open a political can of worms.

Ive seen a big case squashed by beuracracy, i don't trust them to do the 'right thing' anymore than i would trust the WT.

I am of the opinion that the police will not do much at all because they know that even when they arrest hard criminals the court system just slaps their wrist and sets them back on the street. They are going to have to be pretty committed to the job to charge 8 elders or whatever is going on in Traralgon Congo. This should be about much much more than a local investigation.

And then the Offfice of Public Prosecution has to think they can actualy win any of these cases, and the fact that they have not lightend Steven Unthanks burden goes to show they don't. These toothless tigers will always allow a citizen to get crushed doing what they should be doing, again, seen it before. Shut it down, ''not enough evidence.'' or some technicality over the definition of a verb.

The Governing Body has no representation because they don't care. They will hang Vincent out to dry if need be. The fact that the magistrate has so far failed to issue arrest warrants for them, as he was entitled to do, shows he doesn't think there is a chance either. Oh he might like to very much, but i think he knows that it wouldn't fly too.

To quote from the above mentioned case i am aware of, from a high position person in government organization, ''how did you get this far? Most people are basket cases long ago''.

I certainly hope Steven is made of strong stuff because the government is going to drag this out just as much as the WT wants to.

I now believe the only good to come out of this will be the WT having to comply with the law. It is not far enough reaching but at least it involves 'elders'.

The WT will 'win', not because they are right, but because the legal system is fataly flawed.

I really hope i am wrong, i hate to be pessimistic.

oz

• sizemik
    sizemik
    Why hasn`t the office of prosecutions taken over this case from the outset ?

The prosecutor has no obligation or need to take over the case at this stage. Normally a criminal act is reported to the Police who engage the OPP to prosecute the case if sufficient evidence of a crime exists. While the result of a Police investigation is still pending, it would be most unusual for the OPP to take over a private case of this nature, until that evidence has been gathered and assessed. Once the investigation is complete (arrests and further charges may still be laid by the Police themselves), then the OPP will decide whether or not to Prosecute all charges.

Steven went to the Police but they were reluctant to investigate . . . the Private Prosecution has obligated the Police to now do their damn job . . . they have been the obstacle.

It's been said before . . . these are big wheels that turn slowly . . . and can fall off any time. With the Police investigation showing some on-the-ground presence and being extending for another 3 months . . . I think this is progressing as well as could be expected.

The Crown informed the court that the Office of Public Prosecutions are "acting as a facilitator at the moment"

You may have to read between the lines here.

In a talkback radio programe . . . a caller rang in to say they had a carpet cleaning business and they were required to get a wwcc simply because they could be doing their job when a child was home alone. . . . smiddy

Interesting to hear that . . . but anybody conducting an activity requiring them to routinely call on families in their homes should be required to get it IMO . . . it's not that big a deal really. Religious teachers going D2D should be mandatory.

• wobble
    wobble

Thanks for the info to all above, much appreciated.

To SMIDDY, I agree 100% that all JW's should be CRB checked, as we call it in the U.K, O.K it is not a fool-proof or paedophile proof system, but it would offer some protection to the children of the public, as well as JW children.

The fact that the JW's claim that all baptised JW's, including the female JW's, are " ordained ministers" should be sufficient to make it necessary I would have thought, for all to be checked. (?)

It is necessary, very necessary, I can think of one individual who is a danger to any child, who is not an Elder or anything, but still goes from door to door here in the U.K, a check may well stop him.

• Jeffro
    Jeffro

I don't doubt for a second that at least some JWs will spin this as 'persecution'. But, plain and simple, they are breaking the law. And not just some trivial rule, but a provision for ensuring the safety of children. Most JW elders would have nothing to fear from having a background check done. The very very strange thing is the stubbornness demonstrated by the Watch Tower Society in not complying with a law that is really quite straightforward. Therefore, it really does seem as though they are trying to protect the 'hypothetical 1%' who would not satisfy the requirements of the background checks.

I also wonder whether anything is being done about JW compliance with related laws in other Australian states (and possibly similar laws in other countries).

• finallysomepride
    finallysomepride

Jeffro

As far as I'm aware there are no other states in Australia with similar laws, not in Queensland any way.

• fresia
    fresia

I don't understand why this congregation, unless they have something to hide, could it be that their is a pedophile among them, can't see who a child giving a bible reading is so wrong, I mean his parents are present, this is just upsetting the child.

More damage could come out of this if their is no real legitimate reason why they should investigate this congregation. I they refused to apply with WWC for trying to cover up something fine, otherwise I don't understand why they have targeted this congregation.

• Mickey mouse
    Mickey mouse

This doesn't look as though it's going anywhere fast.

• truth_b_known
    truth_b_known

I love seeing Romans 13:1-7 in full affect. Can violators of this law receive prison time?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit