HOW MANY BORN-INS or almost born-ins, WOULD HAVE BECOME A JW IF SOMEONE CALLED AT THEIR DOOR?

by PaintedToeNail 23 Replies latest jw friends

• finallysomepride
    finallysomepride

to repeat those wise words of Found Sheep

"Hell No"

• life is to short
    life is to short

I told a CO that I doubt I would have ever become a JW if I had not been born into it, when the CO had come over to give me a shepherding call because of my problems with the pedophiles in the hall and how the elders were handing the baby rapist in such loving ways.

The CO said Jehovah knew that about me and that Jehovah had me born into a JW family so I would know the truth because Jehovah loved and wanted me so much.

It was really mind twisting trying to follow his line of thinking. So I shot back to the CO well why did Jehovah not have me born into a loving family instead of a family that was abusive. I really can't remember what the CO said to that as I was so frustrated with his stupid reasoning but I think it was something like Jehovah was using your family to test your love for Him.

So no I would not have been a JW if I had not been born in.

LITS

• Twisty
    Twisty

Definitely not i mentioned this to the Mrs about a year ago funny enough.

Its seems like having a right heart condition and getting Jehovah to draw you is based on your genes, so good hearts run in the family?

Also since hearts can change according to circumstances everyone has the potential to have a good heart therefore Armageddon is a myth because nobody is going to be killed?

Ramblings

Twisty

• scotoma
    scotoma

Too many smart atheists have fallen victim to religion when their life got tough. So you really can't say.

By being born into JW's I feel totally imunized against all "religion". It's been a curse and a gift.

• besunny
    besunny

No way!!! I don't want to be a part of any organized religion anymore,,,don't trust any of them,,spent almost 40 year a JW and thats enough for me

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

I have heard several such ones proclaim that they would never have taken "The Truth" at the door. One of my old P/Overseers often said that he would have been a "Do Not Call" person....

As for me? Well, it all depends : It depends on the skill and persistence of the dub making the call. I have known one or two that could sell snow to Eskimos !

It depends on the state of my life at such a time, If I were lonely, bored, single and looking for something.....maybe

The idea of a Paradise Earth is appealing is it not? If it can be put across with any credibility..

[Edited to add that this assumes it was in the pre Internet age when critical knowledge was not freely available]

• d
    d

I would eventually become an atheist like I am today.

• Ding
    Ding

Interesting thread.

Looking at the other side of this coin, I would have assumed that born-ins would be the most sold on the WTS and its teachings because they've been indoctrinated with them and exposed to little, if anything, else their whole lives. They've been told over and over that everything else is satanic and evil.

Yet from JWN accounts, born-ins or raised-ins are often the ones who see flaws in the WTS most readily.

Maybe this is so because converts came in voluntarily by being persuaded that it is the truth (and therefore have their egos on the line), whereas born-ins and raised-ins had no choice but to profess to believe it all even if they didn't. Also, born-ins and raised-ins never got love bombed as studies and have had a whole lifetime seeing the gap between the WT portrayal of "Jehovah's happy organization" and the legalistic reality.

• PaintedToeNail
    PaintedToeNail

LITS-the reasoning used by the CO is stupid, to say the least!

Found Sheep-Brief, to the point and effective! Thanks

Azazel-I was interested in the air force when I was in my late teens and early 20's.

jwfacts-I pondered this question too, for a long, long time.

Thanks to everyone else for your interesting anwers!

CJ

• blondie
    blondie

Well, it's not like I'd be from a vacuum or in a vacuum, if jws called on me. Children are greatly influenced by their parents' position. So who are my parents, what is their religious background? So are we saying both parents are atheists, follow the religion of their parent(s), have chosen another religion different from their family, etc.

I have spent a some time investigating other religions and the lifestyle of non-religious people.

I think I might have studied but not become a member....but it's hard to say without knowing the above.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit