the cult is slowly taking my family apart

by Evidently Apostate 16 Replies latest jw experiences

• zengalileo
    zengalileo

Heartbreaking.

• Shanagirl
    Shanagirl

Tell her all the things you mentioned above about how you feel about her, the children, and your marriage. Tell her you clearly can't continue following the doctrines of Watchtower because it goes against what you believe is decent and right. Use your in-laws anniversary card to her and show her how it feels hurtful to you the way they highlighted the JW propaganda to her. Let her know that you really are a spiritual man, and that's what it's about to you. There's a difference between Spirituality and Religiosity.

Shana

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut
    otwo i have suggested therapy and she is hesitant but i plan to ask again. no matter how many times i tell her i love her and assure her i am here for us i can always detect the sadness i have caused .

It's not an easy answer for JW's. My wife would not submit to marriage counseling. I go to a counselor on my own for my own reasons, but my wife is one of those JW's who is sure that psychology is dangerous stuff for JW's. But we are not on the brink of breakup, so I don't try to insist on her attending. Try hard to do the other suggestion: Tell her stuff like you said in your posts here, how you had hoped you could just live together as a family and enjoy your children and the time you have. Reread Shanagirl's suggestion above.

• Fernando
    Fernando

You have to ask the questions.

You have to keep her honest.

You need her to tell you she is a cult member, you can't do that for her.

I agree with Black Sheep.

What about asking your wife if she could explain "legalism" from the Watchtower to you along with its opposite?

What about patiently eventually following this up with asking her if she considers herself a "publisher of the good news", and then ask her to explain the "good news" according to Paul to you? She most likely will be blank and this should give her something to reflect on since more than half the Bible's 152-odd references to the "good news" are by Paul!

• wha happened?
    wha happened?

Is it me or have the screws been turning latley?

• flipper
    flipper

WHA HAPPENED- It's not you. The screws HAVE been turning lately, much tighter I'd say. It's happening with my JW family as well

• PaintedToeNail
    PaintedToeNail

Are her parents nearby? If they are, is it possible for you to move away, causing you both to rely more upon each other for support, rather than her family and the cong. Just a thought.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit