Why I Left Jehovah's Witnesses--a 10-page essay by sd-7

by sd-7 32 Replies latest jw friends

• garyneal
    garyneal

marked

• Brad Wilson
    Brad Wilson

I felt that Watchtower literature rarely did much to enliven the power of scripture without telling you how to think about it.

Enjoyed reading the whole post but the above line really struck a chord, toward the end for me it just seemed like at every turn you were told what to think not taught how to think.

Thanks - Brad

• sd-7
    sd-7

Well, I'm glad folks have given such positive responses. Fernando, I think I would probably not identify myself personally as a Christian, but mostly because I'm also kind of a skeptic as well, and I don't believe in tying my personal belief system to any one particular set of ideas. I think Jesus' words as recorded in the Gospel are part of a larger moral framework for me. Because I've seen how even his words can be perverted into something else entirely, I think there was a need to be willing to keep an open mind.

I don't think anyone can really call themselves "like Christ" in any absolute sense. I think the term "Christian" is more of a goal that Christians should aspire to, but not one they actually expect to ever reach, as the only chance for any of them is the ransom, right? It's kind of a one-word way of saying, "We look to Jesus to save our sorry behinds", in my opinion, rather than saying "Look at us, we're more like Jesus than you."

--sd-7

• vivalavida
    vivalavida

I definitely reflects lots of the reasons why I myself took that decision as well. However I have never put down in an organized way the reason I had for leaving, and reading your essay has given me a very interesting and worthwhile goal. Kudos to you!

Vivalavida

• Juan Viejo2
    Juan Viejo2

sd-7, you have a PM

• curiouscynic
    curiouscynic

It never ceases to amaze me the difference from BOE to BOE. But I have been involved in a few different judicial committees where elders were asking me about fornication related wrongdoing. A couple of specific questions stuck with me.

You mentioned that elders asked you about non-JW participants in your situation. I had a similar experience.

In one committee we discussed a number of situations. They were very interested in those involving other JWs. The specifically said they didn't care about worldly participants.

In another, as a 14 year old, I was asked if I had climaxed with a girl. Climaxed is the exact word used. I told them that since the act could not have resulted in pregnancy, the question was irrelevant. The brother interested said that it spoke to the extent of the sin. I told him that it was none of his business.

Still reading.

• ziddina
    ziddina

Wowwieee...

I have to go back thru this with my bible... And look up some of the scriptures you've quoted....

Marking for later....

Zid - the NeoPolyTheist atheist...

• ziddina
    ziddina

BUMP!!!!

• sd-7
    sd-7
    You mentioned that elders asked you about non-JW participants in your situation. I had a similar experience.

Yeah, it was strange to me. I had committed fornication one time with that particular woman--first offense for me, I'd never done that before in my entire life. But I interrupted it because I didn't feel right about it, emotionally. The elders just wanted to know her name, and I said to them, "Why is that relevant? Isn't this supposed to be about my sins, not someone else's name?" The chairman's reply was, "We're not going to go after her or anything, we just want to know her name." I remained silent. It was then that one of the other elders said, "Do you want to be disfellowshipped? 'Cause we can do that Wednesday." I'm not sure when refusing to give the name of a non-JW that you sinned with became a disfellowshipping offense, but...there you have it!

I did actually post all about my judicial committee almost two years ago on here, three sessions of what I called 'Borg Court'.

I'm wondering if I should include the links here. If anyone wants me to, just say so. But folks who have been here awhile certainly remember all the ridiculous posts I used to make back then...as opposed to the ridiculous ones I make now, lol....

--sd-7

• sd-7
    sd-7

But if I had to offer a guess, the timing of the relationship with the non-JW was somewhat recent, at that time, and maybe they were concerned that she might show up at the Kingdom Hall and potentially cause a disturbance. All the more reason to disfellowship me, after all, one of their few questions about fornication was "Did anyone see you going into/coming out of the house?" Since it embarrasses the brand name, if you will, they have to hammer you about it. If it was just with a JW, and nobody saw you, they might be more inclined to consider leniency...

--sd-7

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit