by sd-7 32 Replies latest jw friends

• sd-7
    sd-7

Aww, Jamie....thanks....

--sd-7

• Listener
    Listener

That was a very moving read SD-7. In particular I found this enlightening

" I felt that Watchtower literature rarely did much to enliven the power of scripture without telling you how to think about it."

That is so true, when reading the literature one is taught what they must think rather than it it coming from the heart.

Another comment you made

"organization that demands loyalty above even honor, that demands obedience above truth, that demands law above faith."

It so catches the essence of what the organisation is about.

• GLTirebiter
    GLTirebiter

Well done, SD-7! Your essay is eloquent, factual, and well-reasoned. Thank you for sharing it!

• sherah
    sherah

marking for later

• Quendi
    Quendi

bookmark

• Fernando
    Fernando

sd-7: I too hesitate to identify as explicitly and solely "Christian" due to the inherent divisive and supremacist overtones. A very quick study of the word Christian seems to place the word in some doubt too. It would seem that the apostles may have just viewed themselves as simple Jesus followers, and others in time found a need to attach a label to them which in time became hugely sectarian (divisive).

It seems Mahatma Ghandi, who apparently read the NT daily, may also have been a simple Jesus follower, who was mystified at how unlike Jesus those who wore the label "Christian" were. He would have found the Watchtower no different.

Mike Wells says, in his talk titled "The Death of Religion," the ugliest religion in the world is a Christless Christianity.

(from http://symphonic.blogs.com/the_symphonic_church_expe/2005/11/the_death_of_re.html)

• irondork
    irondork

tagged

• finallysomepride
    finallysomepride

i'll be back

• Found Sheep
    Found Sheep

a read later

• lilbluekitty
    lilbluekitty

This is very well-written, sd-7! I completely agree with it, I have been sitting here nodding in agreement with almost everything you said. I espescially like the part about reporting field service hours and such, it is quite similar to the illegal census David took and I've told people I stopped turning in my time because I felt like only God should know that information, based on the scripture (in Matthew?) about people who do their acts of righteousness in public so that they can get praise for themselves.

Anyway, bravo, I really hope you get this published, I already want my pastor to see this and know of other people who might enjoy this as well.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit