Catching the Manipulation in Sunday’s Watchtower Article

by Butterflyleia85 28 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Butterflyleia85
    Butterflyleia85

Inspired by many on JWN board, my goal is to every Sunday study the article and find the manipulative parts. If you would like to join me that would be great! We can then find them together and then find what the scriptures or insights truly means with research, our own understanding, or maybe how it should be interpreted to one’s self. The benefit here is yes we have Critical Thinking Skills and/or we have the power of Holy Spirit.

Please ALL comments are welcome, for example:

For ones believing in God who uses prayer and Holy Spirit, others scriptures or interpretations are welcome!

For ones who don’t believe in God but enjoy theology using the scripture insight for their ethical principles, other sources, quotes, or words of wisdom are welcome!

Watchtower (Study) — September 15, 2011 for November 21-27 Are You Known By Jehovah

{paragraph 8, 9} 8 We may have desires that we long to see fulfilled. Marriage, having children, and good health are all natural and appropriate desires. For many, though, one or more of those desires may go unfulfilled. If that is so in our case, how we deal with the situation may be a measure of our faith.

9 How unwise it would be to seek to fulfill these desires in a way contrary to godly wisdom. That would be to one’s spiritual detriment. Some, for instance, have chosen forms of health care that conflict with Jehovah’s counsel. Others have taken on employment that keeps them away from their families or congregation meetings. Or what of developing a romantic relationship with an unbeliever? If a Christian follows such a course, is he truly seeking to be known by Jehovah? How would Jehovah have felt if Abraham had become impatient about the fulfillment of God’s promises to him? What if Abraham had taken matters into his own hands to settle down again and make a celebrated name for himself rather than wait on Jehovah? (Compare Genesis 11:4.) Would he have continued to be favorably known by Jehovah?

My examination is: Having lack of faith to Governing Body in reality is thinking for one’s self; making choices beyond their set of rules and regulation.

{paragraph 12} Nevertheless, while the nation of Israel was en route to the Promised Land, Korah perceived what he imagined to be problems in God’s arrangement. Then 250 other leading men in the nation sided with Korah in trying to make changes. Korah and the others must have felt secure about their relationship with Jehovah. They told Moses: “That is enough of you, because the whole assembly are all of them holy and Jehovah is in their midst.” (Num. 16:1-3) What an over confident and prideful attitude! Moses told them: “Jehovah will make known who belongs to him.” (Read Numbers 16:5.) By the end of the next day, Korah and all those who had sided with him in rebellion were dead.—Num.16:31-35.

My examination is: Hmmm did they ever think about how they even began as an organization? Who started their religious beliefs and who lead their rebellion (at the time) as a whole? What about their over confident and prideful attitude when they say “We are God’s chosen people!” “We are the only ones who have the Truth!”

Wasn’t Moses directly chosen by God himself? Who is to say God chose the members of the Governing Body but themselves?

{Paragraph 13} If a human overseer in God’s organization provides you with instructions that seem extremely detailed, you might at times feel frustrated. Jehovah, however, is a perfect overseer, who delegates generously and trusts his servants. When he gives many details, he does so for good reason. Take note, though, that Moses did not become irritated with Jehovah for giving that level of detail, as if Jehovah were demeaning him or stifling his creativity or freedom. Rather, Moses made sure that the workers “did just so” in following God’s directions. (Ex. 39:32) What a humble course! Moses recognized that it was Jehovah’s work and that he was just a tool being used to get that work done.

My examination is: So here Overseers are compared to Moses. Who chose the Overseers among you? The Governing Body? Who pacifically chose the Governing Body members? Doesn’t God also direct individuals with Holy Spirit or a since of reasoning? I was asked this once on JWN and it got me thinking really hard about how careful I watch who takes the lead over me. As well as reading Steven Hassen books and Raymond Franz books.

{Paragraph 16} That account [referring to Moses and Korah] provides a serious warning for elders and others in the congregation today. Waiting on Jehovah and following directions from those appointed to take the lead requires humility. Do we show that we are as humble and mild-tempered as Moses was? Can we acknowledge the position of those taking the lead among us and submit to directions we receive? Are we able to rise above our personal feelings when faced with disappointments? If so, we too will be known favorably by Jehovah. Our humility and submission will endear us to him.

My examination is: This paragraph here sums up how much control they have on their members.

• ziddina
    ziddina

Uhm, ok, I applaud your efforts, Butterflyleia85, but we've got a couple of people on board who already do this...

Could you please do us all a favor??

SWITCH to a more READABLE FONT.

That "Andale Mono" type is MUCH harder to read than "Ariel"...

example??

"Inspired by many on JWN board, my goal is to every Sunday study the article and find the manipulative parts. If you would like to join me that would be great! We can then find them together and then find what the scriptures or insights truly means with research, our own understanding, or maybe how it should be interpreted to one’s self. The benefit here is yes we have Critical Thinking Skills and/or we have the power of Holy Spirit. ....

Or:

"Inspired by many on JWN board, my goal is to every Sunday study the article and find the manipulative parts. If you would like to join me that would be great! We can then find them together and then find what the scriptures or insights truly means with research, our own understanding, or maybe how it should be interpreted to one’s self. The benefit here is yes we have Critical Thinking Skills and/or we have the power of Holy Spirit. .....

Oh, and use font size 3.... See????

Zid

• EndofMysteries
    EndofMysteries

butterfly sending you a pm

• dontplaceliterature
    dontplaceliterature

Now, the real challenge, would be to get someone to review these before we actually have the study.

• AGuest
    AGuest
    the real challenge, would be to get someone to review these before we actually have the study

Ugh... gag... choke... gasp...

Count me out, dear DPL (peace to you!).

A slave of Christ,

SA, who threw up in her mouth a little...

• watersprout
    watersprout

*Stumbles in, covers eyes and screams* I'm sorry count me out.

Peace

• sd-7
    sd-7

Let's see if I've got the analogy right here.

Jehovah is to Moses as

____ is to us.

Uh, I'll guess...the Governing Body? Correct! Let us be humble before their direction as Moses was before Jehovah's!! 100 points!

--sd-7

• ziddina
    ziddina

I really like Butterflyleia's concept, even though Blondie and Sir82, among others, are analysing the study on a regular basis....

I'm going to start the ball rolling - but first, I want to re-post a portion of the opening post - make it easier to read...

Watchtower (Study) - September 15, 2011 for November 21-27 "Are You Known By Jehovah?"
    {paragraph 8, 9} 8. We may have desires that we long to see fulfilled. Marriage, having children, and good health are all natural and appropriate desires. For many, though, one or more of those desires may go unfulfilled. If that is so in our case, how we deal with the situation may be a measure of our faith.
    9. How unwise it would be to seek to fulfill these desires in a way contrary to godly wisdom. That would be to one's spiritual detriment. Some, for instance, have chosen forms of health care that conflict with Jehovah's counsel. Others have taken on employment that keeps them away from their families or congregation meetings. Or what of developing a romantic relationship with an unbeliever? If a Christian follows such a course, is he truly seeking to be known by Jehovah? How would Jehovah have felt if Abraham had become impatient about the fulfillment of God's promises to him? What if Abraham had taken matters into his own hands to settle down again and make a celebrated name for himself rather than wait on Jehovah? (Compare Genesis 11:4.) Would he have continued to be favorably known by Jehovah? ...."

Let's hi-lite the significant words, first...

8 We may have desires that we long to see fulfilled.

[Major buzzword here - "desires" in JW land are ALWAYS "bad", unless they're referring to the "desire" to "serve" the Governing Body - er, "god"....]

Marriage, having children, and good health are all natural and appropriate desires.

[My, my.... Isn't that wonderful! The Governing Body is passing its blessings on some measure of 'normality'.... ]

For many, though, one or more of those desires may go unfulfilled.

[Aaaaaaaand did you notice that 'sleight of hand'?? First they TALK about NORMAL desires, in a rather CONDESCENDING way, then they PRACTICALLY RIP IT OUT of the hands of the "Rank&File"....!!!]

If that is so in our case, how we deal with the situation may be a measure of our faith.

[Aaaah, and here it comes... Having to give up the right to a NORMAL life - something that should be everyone's right - is suddenly turned into a "TEST OF FAITH"...]

9 How unwise it would be to seek to fulfill these desires in a way contrary to godly wisdom.

[In other words, if you try to fulfill those nasty ol' fleshly desires, you're not only STOOPID, but you're also "Going Against Jehovah God ™ "...]

That would be to one's spiritual detriment.

[According to the Watchtower Corporation, that is...]

Some, for instance, have chosen forms of health care that conflict with Jehovah's counsel.

[Yes, like vaccines - ooops, NOW they're allowed; organ transplants - OOOOOOPS, NOW they're allowed; blood plasma, platelets - OOOOOOOPS! NOW they're allowed - and who knows WHAT will EVENTUALLY be allowed - but NOT IN TIME for JWs in IMMEDIATE need of certain medical treatments, today...]

Others have taken on employment that keeps them away from their families or congregation meetings.

[Trust me, they're really NOT worried about the families.... Ever hear of "shunning"?

It's the siphoning-off of adult males that COULD be serving as part of the rapidly-disappearing "elder" class, that THEY'RE worried about... Well, it's THE WATCHTOWER CORPORATION'S OWN FAULT - by DENYING HIGHER EDUCATION, they've locked the vast majority of the Rank&File into low pay, requiring LONG HOURS and quite possibly two jobs, to just pay the bills...]

Or what of developing a romantic relationship with an unbeliever? If a Christian follows such a course, is he truly seeking to be known by Jehovah?

[How disingenuous that they are phrasing it as "is HE truly seeking", when the vast majority of unmarried persons within the Watchtower Corporation are FEMALE???? Oooh, and using the "big stick" of "Jehovah's" displeasure - noooooo, that's not manipulative, not at aaaaaallll...]

How would Jehovah have felt if Abraham had become impatient about the fulfillment of God's promises to him? What if Abraham had taken matters into his own hands to settle down again and make a celebrated name for himself rather than wait on Jehovah? (Compare Genesis 11:4.) Would he have continued to be favorably known by Jehovah?

[I think that Blondie already pointed this out, or maybe it was PunkofNice - but - Abraham LIED about his wife, misrepresenting her as his "sister" - doesn't "god" hate a liar??? Solomon WAS disobedient, and yet is mentioned favorably later in the bible; king DAVID was horribly disobedient, yet continued to be in "god's" favor; Jeroboam failed to remain faithful, yet is held up as an example of "faithfulness" by the Watchtower Corporation...]

Bleahhhhh....

• AGuest
    AGuest
    the Governing Body? Correct!

Okaaaay, dear sd-7 (peace to you!). I mean, who needs Christ as their mediator [of the New Covenant]... when they have the great and wonderful Oz... uh, GB??

("You's think folks'd get that, by now, Sam! I mean, there's "no place like home"... and "Bethel" is the only "home"! S'not like we haven't been publishing it for them for, what, close to a century, now? Sheesh. Well, whad'ya expect when you keep people from going to school - better tell the Writing Department to dumb down the rags a little more!")...

(Shaking head)...

Ah, well... peace!

A slave of Christ,

SA

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

I would like for someone to do this, but make it more understandable. No matter how hard I try, I can never figure out who said what on the format Blondie uses. I wish someone would just post a paragraph from the WT and then underneath it, make comments. Keep It Simple Sweetheart. K.I.S.S.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit