The Christmas Star??

by Butterflyleia85 13 Replies latest jw friends

• Butterflyleia85
    Butterflyleia85

So remember the Bible Story Book Chapter 86 Men Guided by a Star... Remember it said that Satan is the one who must have made that star shine because it was leading the chief priests that was brought by Herod who in fact wanted Jesus killed! Matthew 2:1-23; Micah 5:2

Ok so I was reading out of my son's Christmas book that his grandma gave him. It has a part "Following the Star"...Wise men heard about the birth of Jesus, the new king. They would travel far to find him for they had some gifts to bring. They saw a bright star in the East; it shone both night and day. They knew that if they followed it the star would show the way. (Mattew 2:1-9)

So what do you think is the Star good or bad? I still am getting all the kinks out of the holidays (I accepted many things over time but I'm still wierd about the star)

• BluesBrother
  • AGuest
    AGuest

It was the star provided by the Most Holy One of Israel, JAH of Armies, to guide Abraham's descendants in the East back to the One Abraham had his hope in and had waited for, who was going to bring about the city "having real foundations" that he was waiting for, dear Butterfly (peace to you!):

Genesis 25:6; Numbers 24:17; Matthew 2:2, 7-12; Hebrews 11:8-10, 14-19; Revelation 21:2, 9-27

I hope this helps and, again, peace to you!

A slave of Christ,

SA

• Awen
    Awen

An interesting read, it explains how the star moved and how it stayed in the night sky for 2 years.

http://ldolphin.org/birth.html

There is a lot of historical information posted here so you have to scroll down a few paragraphs after part two to get to the scientific analysis of the Star.

• EntirelyPossible
    EntirelyPossible

Since they didn't exactly know what a star was, perhaps we should assume it was just a light in the sky and try to figure out what that may have been, first.

• Snoozy
    Snoozy

I want one for my tree!..I knew something was missing.

Snoozy

• tenyearsafter
    tenyearsafter

This thread also talks about what the Star could have been...intriguing:

http://www.jehovahs-witness.net/watchtower/beliefs/203730/1/The-Star-of-Bethlehem-very-interesting

• transhuman68
    transhuman68

From the infamous Wiki:

Many scholars, seeing the Gospel Nativity stories as later apologetic accounts created to establish the Messianic status of Jesus, regard the Star of Bethlehem as a pious fiction; [55] there are several aspects of Matthew's account which give reason to doubt that an actual historical event is being portrayed.Why would a star be needed to guide the Magi from Jerusalem, 6 miles down a road, to Bethlehem ? Matt 2v9 [56] Matthew is the only one of the four gospels which mentions either the Star of Bethlehem or the magi. The author of the Gospel of Mark, considered by modern text scholars to be the oldest of the Gospels, [57] [nb 6] does not appear to be aware of the Bethlehem nativity story. [58] A character in the Gospel of John states that Jesus is from Galilee, and not Bethlehem. [59] The Gospels often described Jesus as "of Nazareth," [60] but never as "of Bethlehem". Some scholars suggest that Jesus was born in Nazareth and that the Bethlehem nativity narratives reflect a desire by the Gospel writers to present his birth as the fulfillment of prophecy. [61] Matthew's description of the miracles and portents attending the birth of Jesus can be compared to stories concerning the birth of Augustus (63 BC). [nb 7] Linking a birth to the first appearance of a star was consistent with a popular belief that each person's life was linked to a particular star. [62] Magi and astronomical events were linked in the public mind by the visit to Rome of a delegation of magi at the time of a spectacular appearance of Halley's Comet in AD 66, [39] about the time the Gospel of Matthew was being composed. This delegation was led by King Tiridates of Armenia, who came seeking confirmation of his title from Emperor Nero. Ancient historian Dio Cassius wrote that, "The King did not return by the route he had followed in coming," [39] a line echoed in Matthew's account. [63]

This is basically the view of most Bible scholars. Stars were thought to be spirits or angels, so the star could be a good angel or a bad angel, but does it matter? It seems to be a total fabrication anyway...

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

The original one could well have been a planet or meteor that appeared where Jesus was supposed to be and people that were "wise" believed it would have significance. Or, it could have been a star that regularly appears in that general direction at that time of year. People used to use stars to navigate in those days, before they had electronic compasses and GPS units. And, if they knew Jesus was west of them, they followed a star known to be in the western sky at that time of year.

However, the only star of Christmas I am 100% certain of why it's there or what it is (was) is the one on top of my Christmas tree.

• N.drew
    N.drew

Later, Joseph had to flee with Mary and baby Jesus. The gifts from the East would have (imo) provided the money that was needed for the trip.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit