The Christmas Star??

by Butterflyleia85 13 Replies latest jw friends

• EntirelyPossible
    EntirelyPossible

I think the star really WAS a star, one that had gone supernova. Jehovah killed a star just because some astrologers didn't have the address to the manger or map. Killing things for apparently no real reason fits in with his MO perfectly.

As for the gifts, Joseph didn't need money, he was a skilled craftsman. Skilled craftsman generally had plenty of money. I know what Jesus REALLY used the gold for...

Oh, and if Herod was alive when Jesus at least two (Massacre of the Innocents), that creates an interesting problem. Herod died in 4 BC, the census that Luke referred to 1)didn't require people to go to their home village to register and b)happened in 6 AD, about 9 years after Herod died.

Ooops.

• designs
    designs

Trust Fund baby.

• Butterflyleia85
    Butterflyleia85

Thanks for the info everyone! :)

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

I always assumed it was a star; just like maybe millions of others. It would be some trick for a star to burn day and night. Stars help with navigation. They are comforting in the night sky. I thought it was poetic. Besides, if it was visible and burned day and night, every ancient person would have freaked out with fear and wrote about it. If anyone saw the Rome show on HBO, the news announcer at the gate would have announced its existence.

It never struck me as credible. I can see using it as an example of the Light of the World overcoming darkness from John 1. As a JW, I was always suspicious of the Three Wise Men, too. They had to be astrologers. Well, Russell had exact coordinates for where God resided in outer space. The story makes sense as Gentile acknowledging Christ's divinity. Jesus could not have been allowed to have a normal,, ho-hum birth. Mary has to be a virgin, Mary must be immacuately conceived, precious gifts must be offered in tribute. The account never says whether Mary and Joseph set aside the gifts or sold them at market and invested the money.

It is a lovely story.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit