How did Jesus and his apostles make money?

by sabastious 69 Replies latest watchtower bible

• sabastious
    sabastious

Even if Paul's experience was real, I don't think Jesus' instruction included anything on how to finance a religious empire. I could be wrong...

-Sab

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

Sabastious:

I suppose Jesus did odd carpenter jobs here and there and I guess the other disciples did likewise in whatever trades they had.

There is really no comparison with the world he lived in and the times we live in today. But, I am pretty much convinced they were self-sufficient for the most part with some hospitality here and there and people taking them in from time to time and giving them food and clothing, etc.

Totally different world and culture and mentality and I always hated it when the JW religion tried to make themselves sound like they were a little village in Israel. Whereas the reality is that we have to go out into the world to make money.

• sabastious
    sabastious

The Hebrews ended up with quite a lavish religion, didn't they? Lots of raw material must have been required for their sacrificial rituals. There was probably an economic system of supply and demand for these religious commodities since they were consumed. Any kind of food grown was to be converted into currency first at the market and then heavily taxed by the Roman goverment. It's not like the Roman's wanted wheat or whatever they could grow their own on their own land. What the Roman's wanted was cold hard cash to fund the efforts of the empire.

So "working for a living" must have entailed busywork creating religious props and selling food to fund the Roman Occupation. How did Jesus not just go out with a blaze of glory cutting off a few heads before they took him down? What a robbed life.

-Sab

• Qcmbr
    Qcmbr

He started a religion.

• sabastious
    sabastious
    He started a religion.

The manner of which he died started the religion, I believe. If he had actually held the seat that the Apostles eventually held it would not have been about money or holiness or anything that they thought his teachings were about. Revolutionaries can make good government officials, but many don't live long enough to see their kingdom.

-Sab

• mummatron
    mummatron

I reckon Matthew had a decent severance package from the Jewish Inland Revenue.

• unshackled
    unshackled

Same way elder's wives do - pyramid schemes.

• tec
    tec

Women helped support them out of their own means. (I would guess that the male disciples did so as well) People opened their homes to him and also shared meals with him.

He wasn't living high on the hog :)

Jesus replied, "Foxes have holes and birds of the air have nests, but the Son of Man has no place to lay his head."

Peace,

Tammy

• GOrwell
    GOrwell

If I recall, the poor ones of Israel were allowed to 'glean' on the outskirts of the wheat field. Jewish farmers were to leave a certain, small portion of the wheat for such people.

And, if I recall Paul's words, he was mostly for being self-sufficient and usually wouldn't take charity from the congregations, but did accept it on occasion..

• tec
    tec

the poor ones of Israel were allowed to 'glean' on the outskirts of the wheat field

Yes, I remember that being the case as well.

Peace,

Tammy

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit