What Is the longest Prayer (Meeting, Circuit Assymbly, District, Internation.) You have endured?

by AvocadoJake 28 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• blondie
    blondie

Prayer: 45 minutes by Fred Franz

Circuit Assembly: they used to start with a Friday evening session, the TMS and go through Sunday evening.

District/International: 5 days/8 days

Meeting: CO went over 45 minutes on all three of his meetings; some brothers had to leave or they would have been late for work

Of course some meetings felt longer as I entered the Twilight Zone listening to brothers stumble through their parts, drafted as they walked through the door or in the car on the way over. I felt like I was being served snotty eggs on a paper plate.

• punkofnice
    punkofnice

Leicester UK, 1990, a GB member.

He just wouldn't shut up. He wore a cowboy hat too.

Coaches were leaving the stadium I heard and some missed the bus home because this bloke wanted to bore god to death!

STOP GROVELLING!

• wha happened?
    wha happened?

Dodger stadium was grueling for those last prayers of the weekend. Standing in the heat after enduring it all day long. Dehydrated and exhausted, while some spriritual windbag is out for a few extra God points pulls out every country in his prayer. 1st they start locally, then they go to the brothers in African countries, they move on to Europe or Asia, back locally for those who endure, then back to Africa.......

At Least Long Beach was air conditioned. Made listenning to those wind bags somewhat tolerable

• african GB Member
    african GB Member

The DO, closing a DC in 1992, he went on for about an hour, some bro's started packing and left while he was still busy.

• Paralipomenon
    Paralipomenon

I never become more aware of how long some ending prayers were until I had a baby. The one I clocked was about 8 mins. About 7.5 minutes of it was trying to keep my son from screaming to the rest of the stadium how fed up he was with it.

Was proud of the little bugger.

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

And the worst part of all this is that there is rarely need for a prayer of this sort to last much longer than 30-60 seconds (not exaseconds, plain seconds). Just a brief thanks for the whole program without breaking it down, request for blessing to apply what we have learned, request for blessing around the world without mentioning each country by name (maybe a brief mention of somewhere that has just experienced major problems), requests for forgiveness when we flub up, and closing it. Long prayers are best for individuals praying for guidance, not when you have 5,000 people waiting in 40 o C weather with high humidity or children that want to leave before they pee their pants.

• lilbluekitty
    lilbluekitty

JW prayers (from the platform, and sometimes even at meals) are basically another chance to give a mini-public talk. Anyone notice that sometimes the ones that go on and on are the ones that seem like they're trying to teach Jehovah what we just learned?? I wish I could remember some instances but alas, my brain would explode.

My grandmother told me Fred Franz (she loves to go on and on about him, and "don't you say anything bad about him, missy because he's in heaven right now and can hear you!") said some hour-long prayer at a convention in the 60s or something. I definitely remember some 10 minute long prayers, maybe even longer. I remember my legs would start hurting as a kid and I'd kind of rock back and forth and squint my eyes to watch people and see if their eyes were still closed and I'd get slapped by my mom (what were HER eyes doing open?) for not paying attention.

By comparision, at our new church a LADY prays and the prayers are pretty and I enjoy listening to them, plus they only seem to be about a minute long, if that.

• N.drew
    N.drew

I'm not the only one who timed prayers. "They think they will get a hearing by their use of many words". And these are the people teaching the Bible! Because I did not usually wear a watch, I would count sometimes. It really did seem like some of the brothers were trying to teach Jehovah something though. I thought it was only me who noticed so I bought a recording devise, but by the time I would have got around to figuring out how it worked, I left.

• Found Sheep
    Found Sheep

At the end of a Convention oh 7 years ago or so. I was holding my baby nephew and the prayer went on and on reviewed the entire convention. The baby was squirming all over and getting heavy and I was trying to keep my eyes closed another baby started to cry so my nephew started... I was almost in tears by the time he was done

• designs
    designs

Worse Assembly prayer experience- Circuit Assembly at the old Lemert Park Assembly Hall in LA. My pioneer buddy and I are sitting in the second row, an old brother in front had been recording the session on a reel to reel tape recorder when during the final prayer the thing went demonic and spit all the tape out in a big wad. My buddy and I got to snickering, then chuckleing during the prayer, when it was over we turned around and there was the CO staring a hole through us.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit