"Extreme physical abuse" only grounds for separation, NOT divorce.

by cedars 45 Replies latest watchtower bible

• cedars
    cedars

double post

• wha happened?
    wha happened?

I agree Cedars, it's like saying husbands who cheat, likely beat their spouse.

It's terrible for the abused wife in the congregation as they have to deal with a 1940's mentality of having to prove that they didn't do anything that warranted getting wacked. As if anything warranted it to begin with. That's why I hate these cheesy articles about wives who endurred for years before their husbands started studying. It just encourages the bad advice

• ProdigalSon
    ProdigalSon

Lore has it right. When you let a Bronze Age Book of Bullshit make every decision in life for you, JW wives should be thankful that their husbands let them keep breathing. Thank God we have laws written by semi-coherent leaders that prohibit murdering wives.

• thetrueone
    thetrueone

I think clear to say that the JWs attempt to use the bible as a reference as how marriage relationships are to be judged, specifically

in respect to womans happiness and well being is (morally irresponsible) and ways heavily in favor toward men.

Particularly in these modern times with the known acceptance of human psychology and sociology.

The bible offers those men power and strength even if emulating detrimental unjust and destructive social behaviors of a civilization

which existed 3000 years ago

• ShadesofGrey
    ShadesofGrey

I personally have two good friends who were disfellowshipped for divorcing abusive husbands. Another waited years for the elders to prove that her husband had shacked up first.

So... that is what happens in practice. True stories. 2 of these women are still JWs. :(

and another thought: What about sexual abuse? A man can purposely not give his wife pleasure you know.

• wha happened?
    wha happened?

It's true shades. I knew a sister who had to weigh between the abuse and life alone. She's 52 and I doubt she will meet anyone. Terrible

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit