Really sad that JWs use medical issues as an excuse to refuse blood??

by trailerfitter 16 Replies latest watchtower medical

• Bungi Bill
    Bungi Bill

Anony Mous,

My experiences have been similar.

Whatever the pseudo-science the GB / FDS / WTS or (whatever it is they preferred to be called) may quote about blood therapy, no doctor that I have ever dealt with has had any doubts about it.

When my children were still young, and I was still "in", the matter of blood alternatives was raised on several different occassions. Each time, the answer was pretty much the same:

i.e. The so-called "hazards" of blood therapy much exaggerated, and the effectiveness of blood alteratives very much exaggerated. As one doctor expressed it "You people scare me!"

Bill.

• rebel8
    rebel8

You're right. Their reason for refusing blood is purely religious, not medical, and the wts has no medical expertise. Therefore, they should not make any remarks about the potential medical complications of accepting blood.

That point was made here and at: Jehovah's Witnesses, Blood Transfusions And The Tort Of Misrepresentation," Kerry Louderback-Wood, JD, The Jorunal Of Church And State, Vol. 47, Autumn 2005, Baylor University.

• blondie
    blondie

Over and over I heard from the platform that even if blood transfusions became medically safe, completely safe, that jws could not take one because it is not a medical reason why it is forbidden.

*** w91 6/15 p. 9 Saving Life With Blood—How? ***

The decree ended: “If you carefully keep yourselves from these things, you will prosper. Good health to you!” (Acts 15:29) The comment “Good health to you” was not a promise to the effect, ‘If you abstain from blood or fornication, you will have better health.’ It was simply a closure to the letter, such as, ‘Farewell.’

• trailerfitter
    trailerfitter

The ever changing opinions of the WTBTS....... They definitely are not medical experts and I have had some really heafty reading material shoved under my nose without any guidance to who the medical world interpret it. Thank you for the comments however this issue is far from over. I wonder why the issue of eating blood products is never covered?

• trailerfitter
    trailerfitter

The ever changing opinions of the WTBTS....... They definitely are not medical experts and I have had some really heafty reading material shoved under my nose without any guidance to who the medical world interpret it. Thank you for the comments however this issue is far from over. I wonder why the issue of eating blood products is never covered?

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

Leviticus 17 :14

"14 For the soul of every sort of flesh is its blood by the soul in it. Consequently I said to the sons of Israel: “YOU must not eat the blood of any sort of flesh, because the soul of every sort of flesh is its blood. Anyone eating it will be cut off.”

I have always wanted to as, What fraction of the blood contains the "soul"? They would no doubt reply that it is not literal and instead is a metaphor for the gift of life as symbolised by blood

So if the second phrase of the verse is a metaphor, why do they take the first part of it so literal that they would rather die than break it?
  • trailerfitter
    trailerfitter

Very Good point Bluesbrother,.... What is unhealthy about eating cooked blood? If there was would the WT make efforts to defend their avoidance of bloody food.? They only issue they have is the defense of refusing blood transfusion which I find deceptive. The line used is from a mediacal point of videw. why try to prove what is covenant unless they think they started off on shakey ground.

I wonder too which blood fration has the soul contained in it. That will be my next question to any of my wifes frineds who come around hoping to save her unbelieving husband.... lol

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit