Really sad that JWs use medical issues as an excuse to refuse blood??

by trailerfitter 16 Replies latest watchtower medical

• trailerfitter
    trailerfitter

I cannot get over the amount of arguements we get into about blood with my wife. She is medically trained,.. but her thinking is now retarded by the Watchtower mentality. One thing recently I refused to do lately was print a magazine article for her which was about blood complications this was an article from The New Scientist Magazine. it was printed in 2008. After showing her the NHS blood collection service site talking about only using mainly parts of blood in treatment I was godsmacked that she didn't believe this was true. I think, since she works for the same orgainisation in the UK as a lowly auxilliary nurse then she has no right or knowledge to comment on thier collection service.

I got her to show me the passage in the bible which talks about forbidding blood however it is because the soul in contained in the blood that this is forbidden...Is this correct? Then if this is the case why are the JWs using every single excuse under the sun and quoting science to prove thier czse about refusing blood transfusions...

• man oh man
    man oh man

I think because they want to show the wisdom of god (governing body) when he says to abstain from blood. You know, as you are protected from all these bad things that blood can cause?

• trailerfitter
    trailerfitter

So the issue is not consuming a soul or life force to sustain life, rather all the other things not mensioned in the bible that they refuse the blood???

• trailerfitter
    trailerfitter

In the Bible, the soul is said to be in the blood because blood is so intimately involved in the life processes. (Le 17:11) But making the connection even more direct, the Bible says: "The soul of every sort of flesh is its blood." (Le 17:14). Is this right only or are there more issues that clearly mark out that blood can be contaminated therefor unsafe for use??

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

There are few scriptures that mention blood. Lelviticus is a weird book. Anderson Cooper had what appeared to be an excellent show on last night about Christian foster homes, institutions and corporal punishment to the point of murder. I only saw the last part. Half the states still allow parents to physically discipline their childlren and surrogate parent types may do so, too. The legal analyst said there is no Bible defense to abuse. YOu go to prison. No judge is going to say, ah Proverbs, spare the rod, spoil the child. Beat, Beat! MaiM! Murder!. The Bible does not matter. The extremes are clear cut. The practice between the ends is for most district attorneys to look the other way. No one is arrested for spanking. The issue is that the Bible should play no role in the administration of criminal law.

There was also a mainstream Christian expert on wacko Christians. He said he thought the law did not frigthen these wacked out Christians but that one should argue that Proverbs is a vague, poetic book. The overwhelming majority of scriptures in both canons referring to children embrace them, see them as the precious asset possible. 1 obscure scripture verse should not obscure the 99.98% rest of the Bible.

• trailerfitter
    trailerfitter

This was the issue when they cannonised the bible. Seen claims that there are many books not included in the bible because of their vaguemenss. I asked why the NWT left out the Apocrapha that had been in the KJV bible. The comment I recieved about the fact that it had strange stories that weren't relevent really put doubts in my mind about the way the bible had been put together. How can one story be irrelevent when the story of Jonah and the whale is really odd and un realistic.

• garyneal
    garyneal

I always thought that they believed that the life and not the soul was in the blood. Though I think they view life and soul as being the same. Logically, it would make sense why the OT writers thought that the life was in the blood as when blood is shed the individual would appear to be falling asleep as if the 'life' was drained out of the body. Of course we know now that the body is literally suffocating to death.

• blondie
    blondie

But jws will accept hemoglobin-based products (considered blood fractions) that are made from expired human blood despite their saying that blood should be poured out on the ground and not stored.

*** w00 10/15 pp. 30-31 Questions From Readers ***Occasionally, a doctor will urge a patient to deposit his own blood weeks before surgery (preoperative autologous blood donation, or PAD) so that if the need arises, he could transfuse the patient with his own stored blood. However, such collecting, storing, and transfusing of blood directly contradicts what is said in Leviticus and Deuteronomy. Blood is not to be stored; it is to be poured out—returned to God, as it were. Granted, the Mosaic Law is not in force now. Nevertheless, Jehovah’s Witnesses respect the principles God included in it, and they are determined to ‘abstain from blood.’ Hence, we do not donate blood, nor do we store for transfusion our blood that should be ‘poured out.’ That practice conflicts with God’s law.

------------Yet 4 years later the WTS says

*** w04 6/15 pp. 30-31 Questions From Readers ***Some would refuse anything derived from blood (even fractions intended to provide temporary passive immunity). That is how they understand God’s command to ‘abstain from blood.’ They reason that his law to Israel required that blood removed from a creature be ‘poured out on the ground.’ (Deuteronomy 12:22-24) Why is that relevant? Well, to prepare gamma globulin, blood-based clotting factors, and so on, requires that blood be collected and processed. Hence, some Christians reject such products, just as they reject transfusions of whole blood or of its four primary components. Their sincere, conscientious stand should be respected.

Other Christians decide differently. They too refuse transfusions of whole blood, red cells, white cells, platelets, or plasma. Yet, they might allow a physician to treat them with a fraction extracted from the primary components. Even here there may be differences. One Christian may accept a gamma globulin injection, but he may or may not agree to an injection containing something extracted from red or white cells. Overall, though, what might lead some Christians to conclude that they could accept blood fractions?

“Questions From Readers” in TheWatchtower of June 1, 1990, noted that plasma proteins (fractions) move from a pregnant woman’s blood to the separate blood system of her fetus. Thus a mother passes immunoglobulins to her child, providing valuable immunity. Separately, as a fetus’ red cells complete their normal life span, their oxygen-carrying portion is processed. Some of it becomes bilirubin, which crosses the placenta to the mother and is eliminated with her body wastes. Some Christians may conclude that since blood fractions can pass to another person in this natural setting, they could accept a blood fraction derived from blood plasma or cells.

Does the fact that opinions and conscientious decisions may differ mean that the issue is inconsequential? No. It is serious. Yet, there is a basic simplicity. The above material shows that Jehovah’s Witnesses refuse transfusions of both whole blood and its primary blood components. The Bible directs Christians to ‘abstain from things sacrificed to idols and from blood and from fornication.’ (Acts 15:29) Beyond that, when it comes to fractions of any of the primary components, each Christian, after careful and prayerful meditation, must conscientiously decide for himself.

--------------

So while a jw may not store their own blood for future use, they can use hemoglobin-based products made out of someone else's stored blood.

• designs
    designs

Try losing your Dad to not having a blood transfusion.

• Anony Mous
    Anony Mous

I dated a doctor and I asked her last week and there is no alternative to blood transfusions most of the time, full blood is never used but packed red blood cells are or one of the other major fractions.

The products that JW's allow are frequently used (such as EPO) but it's not an alternative, it's usually used after the trauma to recover by stimulating the body into producing certain cells. Lots of surgery can be done without blood (as that is what the machines are for), only massive trauma and blood loss requires blood transfusions.

Blood transfusions are necessary to transport oxygen to several parts of the body. There is usually a chance of survival without blood transfusions (and JW's ascribe any such survival as 'proof' that they're right) if the blood loss is not too severe but it could at the same time result in hypoxia, brain damage, organ and tissue damage or failure, coma, slow recovery all of those are survivable but not a good enough risk for doctors to take.

She told me about a guy that had taken 3 different painkillers (trying to self-medicate) and started having an internal bleeding where he pooped out blood continuously - he required 7 units of blood, without he would've bled to death.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit